I know this book mostly contains instructional literature but it is without question laced with bits and pieces of...

I know this book mostly contains instructional literature but it is without question laced with bits and pieces of philosophy. I was wondering what Veeky Forums thought about Mark Rippetoe’s claim that physical strength supersedes intellectual or spiritual capacity.

Buddy it's a workout guide, not a philosophical essay. Sure power is important but there are different ways to get power besides exercise

t. Soyboy

Yes, most of it is a workout guide. But if you had actually read it then you would remember that prior to the instructional content the author makes a strong case for the importance of strength in one’s life.

Okay, but strength comes in many forms. Mike Tyson would be nothing in front of a guy with a gun, the guy with a gun can't do shit to someone surrounded by security.

You’re completely missing the point.

Point is that no, he's not right when he say the physical trumps the mental

An embarrassingly stupid opinion

Stop posting this

The ideas in it are very poorly reasoned and he relies on 'I'm right because I say I am' most of the time.

IN ANCIENT TIMES King Wen of Chao was fond of swords. Expert swordsmen flocked to his gate, and over three thousand of them were supported as guests in his household, day and night engaging in bouts in his presence till the dead and wounded numbered more than a hundred men a year. Yet the king's delight never seemed to wane and things went on in this way for three years, while the state sank into decline and the other feudal lords conspired against it.

The crown prince K'uei, distressed at this, summoned his retainers about him and said, "I will bestow a thousand pieces of gold upon any man who can reason with the king and make him give up these sword fights!"

"Chuang Tzu is the one who can do it," said his retainers.

The crown prince thereupon sent an envoy with a thousand pieces of gold to present to Chuang Tzu, but Chuang Tzu refused to accept the gift. Instead he accompanied the envoy on his return and went to call on the crown prince. "What instructions do you have for me, that you present me with a thousand pieces of gold?" he asked.

"I had heard, Sir," said the crown prince, "that you are an enlightened sage, and I wished in all due respect to offer this thousand in gold as a gift to your attendants. But if you refuse to accept it, then I dare say no more about the matter."

Chuang Tzu said, "I have heard that the crown prince wishes to employ me because he hopes I can rid the king of this passion of his. Now if, in attempting to persuade His Majesty, I should arouse his anger and fail to satisfy your hopes, then I would be sentenced to execution. In that case, what use could I make of the gold? And if I should be able to persuade His Majesty and satisfy your hopes, then what could I ask for in the whole kingdom of Chao that would not be granted me?"

"The trouble is," said the crown prince, "that my father, the king, refuses to see anyone but swordsmen."

"Fine!" said Chuang Tzu. "I am quite able to handle a sword."

Actually it’s pretty well reasoned.

>Our strength, more than any other thing we possess, still determines the quality and the quantity of our time here in these bodies. Whereas previously our physical strength determined how much food we ate and how warm and dry we stayed, it now merely determines how well we function in these new surroundings we have crafted for ourselves as our culture has accumulated. But we are still animals – our physical existence is, in the final analysis, the only one that actually matters

Point out the part you disagree with and explain why

"But the kind of swordsmen my father receives," said the crown prince, "all have tousled heads and bristling beards, wear slouching caps tied with plain, coarse tassels, and robes that are cut short behind; they glare fiercely and have difficulty getting out their words. Men like that he is delighted with! Now, Sir, if you should insist upon going to see him in scholarly garb, the whole affair would go completely wrong from the start."

"Then allow me to get together the garb of a swordsman," said Chuang Tzu. After three days, he had his swordsman's costume ready and went to call on the crown prince. The crown prince and he then went to see the king. The king, drawing his sword, waited with bare blade in hand. Chuang Tzu entered the door of the hall with unhurried steps, looked at the king but made no bow.

The king said, "Now that you have gotten the crown prince to prepare the way for you, what kind of instruction is it you intend to give me?"

"I have heard that Your Majesty is fond of swords, and so I have come with my sword to present myself before you."

"And what sort of authority does your sword command?" asked the king.

"My sword cuts down one man every ten paces, and for a thousand li it never ceases its flailing!"

The king, greatly pleased, exclaimed, "You must have no rival in the whole world!"

Chuang Tzu said, "The wielder of the sword makes a display of emptiness, draws one out with hopes of advantage, is behind-time in setting out, but beforehand in arriving.2 May I be allowed to try what I can do?"

The king said, "You may leave now, Sir, and go to your quarters to await my command. When I am ready to hold the bout, I will request your presence again."

The king then spent seven days testing the skill of his swordsmen. Over sixty were wounded or died in the process, leaving five or six survivors who were ordered to present themselves with their swords outside the king's hall. Then the king sent for Chuang Tzu, saying, "Today let us see what happens when you cross swords with these gentlemen."

Chuang Tzu said, "It is what I have long wished for."

"What weapon will you use, Sir," asked the king, "a long sword or a short one?"

"I am prepared to use any type at all. It happens that I have three swords - Your Majesty has only to indicate which you wish me to use. If I may, I will first explain them, and then put them to the test."

"Let me hear about your three swords," said the king.

"There is the sword of the Son of Heaven, the sword of the feudal lord, and the sword of the commoner."

"What is the sword of the Son of Heaven like?" asked the king.

"The sword of the Son of Heaven? The Valley of Yen and the Stone Wall are its point, Ch'i and Tai its blade, Chin and Wey its spine, Chou and Sung its sword guard, Han and Wei its hilt. The four barbarian tribes enwrap it, the four seasons enfold it, the seas of Po surround it, the mountains of Ch'ang girdle it. The five elements govern it, the demands of punishment and favor direct it. It is brought forth in accordance with the yin and yang, held in readiness in spring and summer, wielded in autumn and winter. Thrust it forward and there is nothing that will stand before it; raise it on high and there is nothing above it; press it down and there is nothing beneath it; whirl it about and there is nothing surrounding it. Above, it cleaves the drifting clouds; below, it severs the sinews of the earth. When this sword is once put to use, the feudal lords return to their former obedience and the whole world submits. This is the sword of the Son of Heaven."

King Wen, dumfounded, appeared to be at an utter loss. Then he said, "What is the sword of the feudal lord like?"

"The sword of the feudal lord? It has wise and brave men for its point, men of purity and integrity for its blade, men of worth and goodness for its spine, men of loyalty and sageliness for its swordguard, heroes and prodigies for its hilt. This sword too, thrust forward, meets nothing before it; raised, it encounters nothing above; pressed down, it encounters nothing beneath it; whirled about, it meets nothing surrounding it. Above, it takes its model from the roundness of heaven, following along with the three luminous bodies of the sky.4 Below, it takes its model from the squareness of earth, following along with the four seasons. In the middle realm, it brings harmony to the wills of the people and peace to the four directions. This sword, once put into use, is like the crash of a thunderbolt: none within the four borders of the state will fail to bow down in submission, none will fail to heed and obey the commands of the ruler. This is the sword of the feudal lord."

The king said, "What is the sword of the commoner like?"

If you're stupid you'll die just as easily too. Sure in the past strength was held to a hig esteem but now it's just a plus 1 to you as a whole

"The sword of the commoner? It is used by men with tousled heads and bristling beards, with slouching caps tied with plain, coarse tassels and robes cut short behind, who glare fiercely and speak with great difficulty, who slash at one another in Your Majesty's presence. Above, it lops off heads and necks; below, it splits open livers and lungs. Those who wield this sword of the commoner are no different from fighting cocks - any morning their lives may be cut off. They are of no use in the administration of the state.

"Now Your Majesty occupies the position of a Son of Heaven, and yet you show this fondness for the sword of the commoner. If I may be so bold, I think it rather unworthy of you!

The king thereupon led Chuang Tzu up into his hall, where the royal butler came forward with trays of food, but the king merely paced round and round the room.

"Your Majesty should seat yourself at ease and calm your spirits," said Chuang Tzu., "The affair of the sword is all over and finished!"

After this, King Wen did not emerge from his palace for three months, and his swordsmen all committed suicide in their quarters.

>evaluating physical fitness (in the biological sense) through strength
Has this guy never hunted before or does he think heavy compound lifts will help him walk up miles of hill; similar with farming, it's a matter of endurance and conditioning. In both cases the physique and strength levels were determined soley by activity needed to survive, its the same way now, ie you don't need to do heavy barbell movements, and never have. Morons

word

Exercise that is not for a purpose (e.g. if you're an athlete or soldier or something) is vanity and unmanly, beyond that which is necessary to stay fit (i.e. walking about a bit).

His argument to your first point is that an endurance activity is nothing more than repetition of sub-maximal reps. The stronger you are, the more sub-maximal each of those reps become; therefore allowing you to do it longer. He also makes the claim that endurance adaptation happens exponentially faster than strength adaptations therefore endurance training isn't really necessary until you're close to the time of the performance.

and a school shooter would be pointless with the armed security guard, right? Right.

No that's an argument for the efficacy of low rep schemes in producing muscle endurance (muscle endurance during static weighted movements) when what he said was
>Whereas previously our physical strength determined how much food we ate and how warm and dry we stayed
This simply isn't true, practicing a survival activity selects for the physiological standards of that activity, not increased sub maximal rep range of a static weighted movement in the gym. This is so incredibly muddleheaded it nearly precludes the rest of his "argument" which are in fact just statements, like:
> it now merely determines how well we function in these new surroundings we have crafted for ourselves as our culture has accumulated
Emphasis on "how well we function," if your career- your means of survival- is computer programming, then the (intellectual) set of skills surrounding programming are what determines how well you function within those parameters.
And making a simple claim about health in general; that lifting weights is beneficial to lifespan and physical health, is not nearly the same thing as giving it more importance than intelligence, which is so fucking stupid I'm annoyed I even share a board with anyone who would think it

All animals have bodies and muscles and strength. What sets man apart is his intelligence and his mind.

If all you care about is strength like Mark Rippletits you are essentially no better than an ape or horse. There's a reason we built machines to work for us. Because we are better than simple muscles and bone.

lit absolutely btfo

He implies that happiness is the most important thing so he's already contradicted himself

i used think /pol/ was the most retard board, but these Veeky Forums guys are idiotic

I just like lifting weights and looking good. I think you guys should try it, it works wonders.

we just had this thread. you don't seriously think Veeky Forums will go for the same bait again so soon?

>"Fine!" said Chuang Tzu. "I am quite able to handle a sword."
What did he mean by this?

We need to talk about deadlifting shoes.

At that point you turn around to catch him after he teleports

>physical strength supersedes intellectual or spiritual capacity.
Might makes right, but physical and intellectual strength only function within narrow contexts. Impregnating women and convincing them of your ideas is a pure form legacy. Impressing yourself onto people of the future is legacy and reproduction is the most direct means.

what i got: ernest hemingway's farewell to arms

same

Yes, the Strength is starting, but when it will be complete?

such as?

>If you're stupid you'll die just as easily too
If you have the IQ of a rock, sure. Somehow, 60-IQ, spindly dindus survive daily in the streets of Detroit.

Stop being fragile.

CHA = WIS > INT > CON > STR = DEX
you'll thank me later

Bullshit to my face and not online and see what happens.