Why do people become manchildren? Why do they read genre fiction, play video games, watch Star Trek and anime, cosplay?

Why do people become manchildren? Why do they read genre fiction, play video games, watch Star Trek and anime, cosplay?
How does modern philosopher explain it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JjfClL6nogo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_man
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I do all of those except cosplay yet I have a superiority complex toward other who are like this
How to explain that??

Too smart to realize what you've become but not willful enough to stop it
You end up hating others who can't even see

i feel like people used to use alcohol to escape into an infantile stage. now that its accepted to be 20+ and still hobbying video games and childish shit, they no longer need stuff like that or drugs. they just do it and its accepted.

as to why they revert back to an infantile stage, probably because its easier to be sloppy and drunk or playing vidya because it leaves you with less responsibilities, or at least you forget about them.

ONE who is steeped in Virtue is akin to the new-born babe.
Wasps and poisonous serpents do not sting it,
Nor fierce beasts seize it,
Nor birds of prey maul it.
Its bones are tender, its sinews soft,
But its grip is firm.
It has not known the union of the male and the female,
Growing in its wholeness, and keeping its vitality in its perfect integrity.
It howls and screams all day long without getting hoarse,
Because it embodies perfect harmony.

To know harmony is to know the Changeless.
To know the Changeless is to have insight.

To hasten the growth of life is ominous.
To control the breath by the will is to overstrain it.
To be overgrown is to decay.
All this is against Tao,
And whatever is against Tao soon ceases to be.

Research antisemetic self hatred. It was a phenomenon around the end of the 19th century spawned from rising antisemitism where jews started being openly self deprecating to fit in better with the rest of society and make themselves look superior. Shit, even Marx did this.

> he made this thread again with the same body of text

> person from another table
> "hey haha look at those fat nerds, ew pokemon cards and nintendo haha i bet they're fucking GAY and lame haha fuckin nerds"
> returns to staring at the phone screen waiting for notifications relating to the epic jordan peterson quote they put on facebook and face swap pictures taken with their pet dog

These dorky niggas found somewhere where they belong and they're not doing any harm to people. Get over yourselves.

No one said it's bad. But this is a relatively new cultural phenomenon and I would like to know it's origins.

Who can give a universal definition of a Manchild?

A man who despite his mature age lacks the will of reflection to consider the value and dignity of his actions in terms of his short time on Earth against eternity

Like a child he simply floats on the now awaiting with mouth wide open for his next spoonful of petty stimulation

wtf are you talking about? are you fat nerd with Pokemon cards?

Being a child > being an adult

Confucius said, "Meng-sun did all there was to do. He was advanced beyond ordinary understanding and he would have simplified things even more, but that wasn't practical. However, there is still a lot that he simplified. Meng-sun doesn't know why he lives and doesn't know why he dies. He doesn't know why he should go ahead; he doesn't know why he should fall behind. In the process of change, he has become a thing [among other things], and he is merely waiting for some other change that he doesn't yet know about. Moreover, when he is changing, how does he know that he is really changing? And when he is not changing, how does he know that he hasn't already changed? You and I, now - we are dreaming and haven't waked up yet. But in his case, though something may startle his body, it won't injure his mind; though something may alarm the house [his spirit lives in], his emotions will suffer no death. Meng-sun alone has waked up. Men wail and so he wails, too - that's the reason he acts like this.

"What's more, we go around telling each other, I do this, I do that - but how do we know that this `I' we talk about has any `I' to it? You dream you're a bird and soar up into the sky; you dream you're a fish and dive down in the pool. But now when you tell me about it, I don't know whether you are awake or whether you are dreaming. Running around accusing others19 is not as good as laughing, and enjoying a good laugh is not as good as going along with things. Be content to go along and forget about change and then you can enter the mysterious oneness of Heaven."

>Being a child > being an adult
(not true by the way)

Yeah but daddy peterson is teaching me not how to be a manchild

youtube.com/watch?v=JjfClL6nogo

I bet you're a fatter nerd who screeches at alpha chad with fuckable stacys, calling them soyboys and then hobbles away on your fucking gay vespa

Ok on that definition, I next want to ask whether you think that the majority of men consider their actions in terms of their short period on Earth?

And if not, can we say based on this definition that most Men are "Manchilds"?

>implying reading "literature" is any better.

Yes. Reading literature and doing sports.

I liked video games when I was little
I still like video games
the manchild "epidemic" just exists because children don't have as much duty as they used to, plus all this media being new

Why do people enjoy the things they enjoy and not the things I enjoy

It’s not that they “become” manchildren. It’s not like these people were competent and skilled, reading Dostoyevsky for pleasure, and suddenly they became manchildren and started reading Spider-Man. They just never grew up

This.

The answer is nihilism.

Nothing matters in the long-term. Everything will eventually disappear with the eventual heat-death of the universe, so I'm just going to enjoy myself while I'm here and not worry about it.

I think this is the right idea. I still like video games, but I also have responsibilities and a full-time job. You can factor in the "delaying of adulthood" too, I guess. Some people grow up when it's the proper time (and may still keep their "childish" hobbies, probably devoting less time or interest to them) and some people push it off as far as they can. It's like said, no one becomes a manchild, they just stay a child (and were probably going to be a lackluster adult in the first place).

Lack of challenge. Lack of hardship. Lack of father figures. All I can think of from the top of my head.

I, too, get frustrated by hobbies that are not like my own.

Do you mean nihilism OP? It's because of liberal democracy/capitalism.

Anyway, we have this thread every week, stop making it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_man

Older people play video games now because they grew up playing them. The reason adults didn't play video games in the past is they didn't always exist.

> I next want to ask whether you think that the majority of men consider their actions in terms of their short period on Earth?

They do since most men are pretty much on the brink of poverty and destitution they have no choice but to acknowledge what they are on at the very least the animal level. Its only white middle class Westerners who have the comfort to ignore reality in such a way

A manchild is just a man who still holds hobbies from his childhood, is obsessed with cartoony things and games (card games, board games, video games) and wants to play, not work. They're basically the most redpilled on this planet who know that the rite of passage into adulthood (becoming a wageslave) is a meme and should be skipped.

>Why do they read genre fiction, play video games, watch Star Trek and anime, cosplay?
Why should I not be doing those things? pic related

What are they supposed to be doing? Getting married and having kids? Lol, good luck with that one today.

>the only choice other than wagecucking is mindless consumerism

Well ideology'd my *sniff*

Being-toward-death is the authentic disposition toward death, user, and opens up new modes of being and understanding the Self.

This is good, but it's really only the what and how, not the why.

>Why should I not be doing those things? pic related
Because of course you can't be satisfied doing those things. Somewhere inside, you must yearn to join a wine club and engage in masturbatory discussion about dead Europeans.

==>

Nothing wrong with doing those things but 99% of the time they're a way to escape your problems and you end up doing those things over doing things that you need to do and that becomes a problem.
t. Manchild who's trying to get his life back on track

look mom I'm an adult responsible male
>he said, while posting on Veeky Forums

Why would that be any better? You're just saying to play a different kind of game.

>sports

You don’t see difference between baseball and video games? Are you retard?

>Are you retard?

I need to work up the guts to say this to my wife.

Try after Tyrone is finished fucking her

It's the deep-seated belief that there is an excuse for enjoyment.

Baudrillard said that what we want is to mirror the image. We flock to superheroes and whatnot because we are unremarkable in our own right, but if we emulate them we "become" them in a way. We want to be fit, fight for whats right and be charming, so people will buy into those characters that have those traits, so they become those heroes by proxy. Of course, capital has taken advantage of that and propped up these heroes and used them as they were intentional, as commodity

Well there literally isn't, God put you on this Earth to enact his will

I don't see why a physical activity is necessarily better than a non-physical one.

There is social difference, but the two are recreative activities, entertainment.

Exactly, "fun" is for Jews and heathens. It's the mark of those abandoned of meaning.

>God put you on this Earth

try explaining that to the tribes of Brasil

So what is the non man-child mode of life? Nine to fiver who reads and has a wife and kids? No escapism allowed? How are you being any more productive by spending your time on this board?

war hero

Considering other forms of escapism this by far is least harmful. There are worse ways to avoid taking responsibility.

>Be born ugly and with poor social skills
>Can't find a girlfriend, let alone get married and start a family
>Spend all day at work in an awful job
>Come home and play video games to help ease the loneliness
>Get called a manchild by people on an anime book forum

Brb enlisting in the army

What does society offer for a 'real' man?

>ease the loneliness
>not dealing with it or accepting it, just hiding from it
>will never get over it
>not a child

Church

Pussy.

Alt-right waifus.

Because they don't love their waifus enough to set an example and better themselves.

At what point does appreciating an artistic medium become a man child activity? What makes chess or checkers a better use of time than playing Magic: The Gathering?

I’ll pass

>Just pull yourself up by your bootstraps, champ!
Lol.

In the end these hobbies aren’t usually escapism, just people using their free time for fun.
People in poverty and low classes usually don’t have time for this, but you expect other people just to sit around waiting until they need to go to work?
Enjoyment comes in different forms. Some might find it in sports, others in literature or games. I know a guy that really enjoys reading theories about tributary laws, it’s so alien to me that someone can really enjoy that but everyone finds enjoyment in different things.

“Ooh but videogames are for kids” you might say, does it matter where the entertainment comes from?
People do things because they enjoy it. If you didn’t enjoy cultivating your mind you wouldn’t read philosophy or literature. If the person does something they don’t enjoy, usually they give up fast or they do it because they enjoy the rewards.
Men are a machine moved by enjoyment, trying to bring happiness to hinself in a world made of suffering.

Telling a person to not enjoy something because it isn’t valuable to society is telling him to keep suffering, the same as saying “if you want to be part of society, just suffer all the time bro, it’s what everyone else is doing”. If someone accepts that they are against mans own nature to search enjoyment.
Even wild mammals engage in recreative activities with it’s peers when it isn’t hunting or resting.

Societal respect and (in the case of board games) heavy abstraction.

What if loneliness isn’t a problem to him?
What’s the problem in pursuing this kind of fun?

Soy.

Step up your taste, you uncultured dribble

He just said he plays games to help ease the loneliness, so it's obviously a problem to him.

Who do you think you're talking to right now?

the uberman is a video gamer, so any other pursuit is fagotry and autism

Okay? This isn’t Veeky Forums, no one cares about masculinity here.

yo whats wrong with star trek

Imagine fawning over this plane jane

>I need to work up the guts to *divorce my wife

ftfy

Nice nigger attitude
>My problems are so impossible its not even fathomable I could do anything about it

>implying masculinity
im 155 6'0 soyboy and lay pipe