The NY Times listed these book as the most important American novels of the last 25 years:

The NY Times listed these book as the most important American novels of the last 25 years:

1. Beloved - Toni Morrison
2. Underworld - Don DeLillo
3. Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy & Rabbit Angstrom - John Updike
5. American Pastoral - Philip Roth

What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/ref/books/fiction-25-years.html
nytimes.com/1985/04/28/books/mccarthy-meridian.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Underworld shouldn't be there. Blood Meridian and American Pastoral should be higher. Beloved should be at the bottom. There's no fourth slot and none of these books are from the last 25 years.

Why shouldn't Underworld be there?

Beloved, as significant as it is, was given #1 as an obvious pass for political relevance.

Worthless book and what little influence it has is on mediocre writers.

explain why it is worthless and name the mediocre writers it influenced

>this book is significant in its own right but obviously there for a political stunt

false equivalence fallacy

Nope.

I think that they're probably right, but I just can't bear to give a shit about their opinions. It's clear they have a tin ear from their selections.

You haven't read it.

>underworld over infinite jest

I've read all of Delillo's major novels twice.

What - nigger, do you read? I said being #1 is political. It is not the best in 25 years.

I wish I had the energy to write a long post about how fucking retarded you little shits who think spouting the names of logical fallacies makes you smart or good at debate but a good "shut the fuck up" will have to do for now

no you havent i wont believe you because you cant even back up your claims lmfao

you cant even think outside of logical fallacies lmfao brainlet

that's a nigger fallacy to be honest senpai

It's not that I can't, just that I won't. I have no interest in helping a board full of guys who wasted their life on video games until their twenties before arbitrarily deciding to begin posturing as what Faulkner derisively called Literary Men.

>i can but wont for no reason

classic brainlet defence

>fallaciously and falsey equating something with the false equivalence fallacy
w-woah...

he gave a reason...

> (You)

Out of curiosity, what does it mean for a novel to be "important" these days?

>no John Green, Rupi Kaur or Infinite Meme
Fake

influence, originality, brings something new

People snap their fingers and nod their head and say "that's important" when they see it

Blood Meridian or American Pastoral should be first on that list. Beloved probably shouldn't be there at all (replace it with Mason & Dixon) though I suppose its ubiquity makes it unavoidable.

Where's Infinite Jest or at least The Pale King....?? Come on...im not even being satiric.

Musicians take inspiration from it

nytimes.com/ref/books/fiction-25-years.html

THERE WAS NO INFINITE JEST

IT WASN'T EVEN SHORTLISTED.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Good.

The worst list I've seen since Reddit's favorite books. It's like someone made this to bait the literati.

yeesh imagine actually being a nigger

>last 25 years
>book is more than 25 years old

hmst’d

IJ is a meme, not a real book

>Beloved should be at the bottom
Why
Its an excellent novel IMO
Passionate writing with some amazing flights of historical imagination

Aesop Fables for fragile NY libs, 300-500 pages of complex characters and basic themes

Brilliantly put

>nytimes.com/1985/04/28/books/mccarthy-meridian.html
Their review of Blood Meridian was shallow as fuck.
>The kid frequently responds to the judge's grandiose speeches by saying, ''You're crazy'' - a notion so plausible that it effectively undermines the judge's authority.

>Mr. McCarthy carefully builds this dialectic only to let us down with a stylistically dazzling but facile conclusion. Years later, in a saloon where a bear dances on stage, the kid encounters the judge, who calls himself a ''true dancer'' of history, one who recognizes ''the sanctity of blood.'' There is a hint that he kills the kid. Last seen as a towering figure on stage, the judge is ''naked, dancing . . . He says that he will never die.'' He is denied the last word, though. Mr. McCarthy's half-page epilogue presents a man crossing the plain making holes in the ground, blindly followed by other men who search for meaning in this pattern of holes. The judge's enigmatic dance and the long ordeal of the novel's violence demand more than this easy ambiguity.

Brainlet: The Review.

>blindly followed by other men who search for meaning in this pattern of holes.
>who search for meaning in this pattern of holes.
Where the fuck is this being pulled from

McCarthy is an unoriginal hack. Everything remarkable about his writing in BM he's stolen from older authors.

says the kid on Veeky Forums

>IJ is a meme not a book

Fuck you. ITS BOTH. AND THE BEST OF BOTH.

Cormac McCarthy is garbage and I am convinced he is a false flag to usher in the death of wypipo authors. This list is awful.

As far as I can tell that didn't even happen lol
His wordplay and talent for prose styling is in a class of its own among modern English authors. Blood Meridian absolutely deserved to be on that list.

>White males

This. Blood Meridian was the worst book I read last year. Awful.

>Assuming assumptions
>getting so mad

Who wronged you, my fellow pseudo-intellectual?

Personally I don't put much stock in any opinion NYT has considering this is an article on their site right now. Also, lol at just the titles of the others.

>popular Japanese comedian
Oh fuck not Matsuko Deluxe
Just poison his/her doughnuts or something and be done with it.

>see they're fat AND they're Japanese! how progressive is that??

He/she isn't quite the same breed as the western left and I'll admit is on occasion actually funny, but the rest of the time he's just an annoying cunt.
I really think if it weren't for being transsexual and that fat you can't help but look at him that he wouldn't be a successful comedian.

Dylan Geick could catch this deick anytime