Is pic related still valid when starting with the greeks?

Is pic related still valid when starting with the greeks?

Yes.

the greek canon is so developing nowadays it's always something new everyday, amirite?

It never was, that's why we have pic related.

>only Aristotle included is Metaphysics
That is a troll chart

Why is Pope recommended as a translation there? Usually I just hear Fagles or Lattimore mentioned on lit.

kek

Besides Western philosophy, what other philosophies are worth exploring? Maybe some Buddhist or East Asian philosophy? Pls no bully.

Don't bother. They're all about how the world is eternal and filled with divinity and how we should all meditate on that premise.
Western philosophy and theology is the only game in town my friend ;)

Indian. Fucking. Logic.

Ignore the Greeks; start with Camus

>theology
What exactly should I study besides the Bible (for literature's sake)? Unless you mean philosophy during Medieval times?

Will look into it. What about Chinese logic? Since it's the remaining one out of the first three schools of thought on the topic.

>Western philosophy
yep

>and theology
hell no

Fuck Kaymahs; start with Peterson.

What's the best translation for The Iliad and The Odyssey?

Fuck Peterson, and call him daddy.

>everyday the same question

>They're all about how the world is eternal and filled with divinity
>recommends theology, the study of divinity

???

robert fagles

You're caught in my labyrinth and the only one who can set you free is yourself.

read about the nyaya school of hindu philosophy, madhyamaka buddhism and confucian ethics (also the other 5 chinese schools of thought)

ignore that brainlet, obvious christard shill that hides behind aquinas and augustine to promote his dogma. Theology is a waste of time.

Pope is generally recommended on Veeky Forums as the translation for a re-read. It's not very faithful, but it is quite pleasant to read.

In fairness to that obvious bait post, Christian theology holds that the world had a beginning and will have an end. This is at least in line with most modern knowledge of physics.

I am halfway done with this. So far it's working really well.

>This is at least in line with most modern knowledge of physics.
not really

Physics doesn't consider the universe to have had a beginning and an eventual end?

I would just ignore Buddhism and study Confucianism. Buddhism is a Confucius oversimplification inferior to the thing simplified

>they're all about how the world is eternal
Vedic theology teaches that the nature of time is cyclical. That what is now is destined to die and decay so something else can take its place. You couldn't be more mistaken.
>and filled with divinity
One of the guiding principles and the first of the four noble truths of Buddhist philosophy translates to 'life is suffering'.The point of both Hinduism and Buddhism is to find a way from this purgatorial plane of being by seeing through its veil of illusion - maya. Meanwhile Abrahamites are worshipping rocks and pieces of wood and old relics.

Oriental philosophy is far from whatever Americanized bhakti faggotry you think it is.

I suggest that you actually read up on the subjects you arrogantly dismiss before dismissing them, you absolute piece of shit fagggot pseud.

don't neglect the earlier dialogues. Laches is great. Ion is hilarious, and Hippias minor/major i don't remember but they were good.

Charmides is fucking gold

>Very well, he said; then I will call him; and turning to the attendant, he said, Call Charmides, and tell him that I want him to come and see a physician about the illness of which he spoke to me the day before yesterday. Then again addressing me, he added: He has been complaining lately of having a headache when he rises in the morning: now why should you not make him believe that you know a cure for the headache?
Why not, I said; but will he come?
He will be sure to come, he replied.
He came as he was bidden, and sat down between Critias and me.
Greatamusement was occasioned by every one pushing with might and main at his neighbour in order to make a place for him next to themselves, until at the two ends of the row one had to get up and the other was rolled over sideways. Now my friend, was beginning to feel awkward; former bold belief in my powers of conversing with him had vanished. And when Critias told him that I was the person who had the cure, he looked at me in such an indescribable manner, and was just going to ask a question. And at that moment all the people in the palaestra crowded about us, and, O rare! I caught a sight of the inwards of his garment, and took the flame. Then I could no longer contain myself. I thought how well Cydias understood the nature of love, when, in speaking of a fair youth, he warns some one "not to bring the fawn in the sight of the lion to be devoured by him," for I felt that I had been overcome by a sort of wild-beast appetite. But I controlled myself, and when he asked me if I knew the cure of the headache, I answered, but with an effort, that I did know.

lmao can't believe I forgot it! Whoever made that list had no sense of humor

>recommending biblioteca over hamilton's mythologies
>only aristotle's metaphysics and not nicomachean ethics
>fucking POPE translation?

This is a troll chart. I mean it's not the worst that I've seen (that brownpill chart that recommends you read fucking Critique of Pure Reason then Don Quixote is infinitely worse) but OP's is just better in every way.

Somewhat similar question, I've read quite a bit of Western philosophy, quite a bit of Chinese/Japanese, but what about Indian philosophy?

Nah bro there have been so many great additions to classical Greek literature since that chart was made

Only according the big bang theory. There are other models such as the universe being steady state or even ones that posit the universe being cyclical that do not break any laws of physics. Of course due to the lack evidence they don't enjoy the same consensus as the big bang hypothesis. But physicist are not positivists when it comes to the nature of the universe, they only describe what things are equivalent to, not what they actually are.

I'll look into it, thanks

I figured

I'm pretty sure you missed the point of Buddhism

Yes, emphatically.

I wrote that post as pure bait, but your post probably wasn't in vain because there are other anons asking about what you introduced.

Once again I bring out the best in people.

Can someone list the ideal step by step reading order for all of these books for an autist like me

>Homer, Hesiod and Sappho
>Herodotus and Aeschylus
>Thucydides, Sophocles and Eurypides
>Presocratics
>Xenophon, Aristophanes and Isocrates
>Plato
>Aristoteles
I consider this order to be superior. What do you guys think?

bump

I don't get it. Does Socrates want to fuck Charmides?