I'm about to publish my first book and I don't think I'm going to tell people that I'm transgender...

I'm about to publish my first book and I don't think I'm going to tell people that I'm transgender. I don't want my book to be picked up just because it has a trans author.

What does Veeky Forums think about this?

If you say you're trans you'll make more money at the cost of integrity
It's up to you really

I'd tell people and rake in those sweet SJW bux. Idk, if the books good it shouldn't matter, and if its bad you might still get it read by straight-white-guilt types.

But will I though?

Besides, I'm FTM transgender. That's not the popular kind. It's the Chaz Bono kind.

Wait, you have the single biggest advantage in publishing and you aren’t using it?
They’ll publish your work if there are grammar errors every sentence because you’re #wokeniggaz take the advantage!

But that's what I'm concerned about. I've worked hard on this book and I want people to actually like it, not read it just because I used to be a grill.

Yes. Watch the bestsellers list. Nowadays people literally buy books exclusively based on superficial traits of the author, which isn’t to say they’ve never done that, but it’s at an all-time high.

Literally fake and gay.

Literary fake and gay

You've got peepee now?

If it actually contains merit and it isn’t just a whoa is me oppression narrative then it’ll naturally attract people who read things based on worth. There will always be dumb reasons for people to buy your book, let them have them and give them good reasons as well.

>whoa is me

You’ve got plastic tube now?

Fixed that for you.

No, I'm not getting bottom surgery because medical science isn't there yet. For now, I'm a man with a cunt and I'm actually happy about it.

I've asked friends of mine what they would do if they woke up with a vagoo and they said stick things in it, so I'm treating it like a real man would.

There's not even any transgender characters or mention of such in it. It's homosexual lit, yeah, but that's about it. Mostly because I can't write female characters for shit. Probably because I can't think like one.

Also
>whoa is me
>the skateboarder's lament

I know, I know. Typing on a phone on a bus.

Homosexual lit tends to be boring but it might be good. Put it out there, amp up the trans angle, rake in the shekels, and best of luck to you.

I made a separate thread earlier asking for reviews and even straight guys said it was good for a homo book. So I have hope.

One of my favorite authors is Poppy Z. Brite, coincidentally also came out as FTM trans recently, and their stuff isn't "gay for gay's sake" at all.

Keep it as an insurance for probable failure or future decline of popularity if you indeed have written sentences such as this.

I'm not an expert but I'd keep that info for a while so it causes a bigger commotion when you finally come out as a semi-known writer.

I guess.

A lot of my close friends don't even know I'm trans. It's just not important information unless you're going to fuck me. I'm just a regular guy.

All fine, bru, had a giggle at that

...Hanahaki disease?

>I've asked friends of mine what they would do if they woke up with a vagoo and they said stick things in it, so I'm treating it like a real man would.

This is really cute. I wish people i knew irl would read my novel. Good luck with publishing it.

here
You mentioned Poppy Z. Brite. They wrote books before they came out. I think people think about Poppy more as an author than a trans person. I think that's what you should do. I think people should look at you as an creative person first before they see you as a trans person.

I don't think she realized she was until later anyway.

Chilly in a tartan, Casper?

What??
Is that a ghost joke?

Or do you think my name is Casper? I have a normal-ass guy name. That my parents picked.

Where you in that fit humor thread the other day? If you're /fitlit/ then I guess you're pretty cool for a tranny

>I can't think like a female
>t. born female

yeah I'm sure you know exactly what it is like a grow up male and be a man based on the idea that you recently decided to cosplay as one m'lady

Does this work? If I shave my beard, put on lipstick, and make a fake FB account under a trans identity, I can sell books easily?

Do I even need to shave my beard, or is lipstick enough as long as I say I'm a woman?

It's a slippery slope. yes, you stand to gain a lot by leveraging your identity. But I would go with your gut. you will already get positive attention for being a gay man writing gay lit and gay writers are common enough for the literary scene not to make a big deal of it, whereas trans authors are rarer. You could get pigeon holed, expected to write trans oriented material and be political, your name will never be brought up without the title "trans author" hovering around it and your identity has a good chance of superseding your work, which I think you rightfully fear. If you hold your personal life close to your chest and the novel is not as successful as you would like, it fails with your conscience clean. You also wouldn't contribute to the ever increasing focus on authors irrelevant personal lives.

Also

Anatole Broyard never told people he was of black ancestry because he wanted to be known as an "author" not a "black author" so there is a precedent for what you are doing.

Also much later on in your career the revelation that you are trans would give a nice little career boost and add to your mythos as an author.

>Probably because I can't think like one.
any thinking you did before making the switch was thinking like a female

Willing to traffic some T to me sweet cheeks? Daddy needs a fix

>not marketing yourself shamelessly when you know it will bring huge sales

I know you probably feel like the need for integrity is important, but as long as your writing isn't propagandist bullshit, do what will make you money man. It's not a sin. At least not yet it isn't.