Why does Veeky Forums display the typical late modernist aversion to Haruki Murakami...

Why does Veeky Forums display the typical late modernist aversion to Haruki Murakami, the true inheritor of postmodern literature?

Is it because Murakami's creation of a new form of narratology in order to deal with the deconstructed nature of reality in contemporary life conflicts with the late modernist literary norms that Veeky Forums is enamored with?

I think he is a good author. We also like a lot of the same jazz artists.
The aversion that you speak is a problem with postmodern literature as a whole. Since it marks a significant break from tradition it hard for scholars to like it and manage to part from it's popular nature.
Still, the academic world is turning it's eyes to pop-culture more and more in the last years, so I think in a while a more mature take on the author and the movement will be possible.
Right now most of the acclaimed authors are either the ones who comment on the now-popular question of gender studies or the ones who manages to make mega-structure books like the past grails of academic literature.

What do you mean as a new from of narartology? I've only read the Sheep Chase, Kafka and Hardboiled Wonderland.
The only thing I can categorize as novelty was the 20 pages of pseudo-tourist guide book in the later parts of the Sheep chase.
Not that a text-within-a text composition is something that novel, but that was really well woven in the book, which is just so more professional than the usual collage-fragment approach of most authors.

Because his "literature" is a shallow product for masses.

I dislike him because he's been, like most Japanese people, thoroughly cucked by the West. Why would I read a faux-Western person when I can read actual Westerners?

Nah, it's because he's a soyboy and a crybaby, also his titles are shit.

This.

He is like the Sorrentino or Zvagnitsev, they all profit from romanticised stereotype of their countries and tailor their works using that stereotype to make them a bit exotic but familiar enough for the Western audience.

>Sorrentino isn't western

He is Italian but is producing for non-Italian Westerners.
His movies are disliked in Italy.

Cultural whoring, yeah.

Is there any Italian director whose movies aren't disliked in Italy? What about Pasolini, is he disliked?

>His movies are disliked in Italy.
Not really lol.

So why do you still think nationalism plays any role in literary reception? It seems like you're just admitting that Murakami is too advanced for you.

I've yet to read a nip author who doesn't. Every nationality responds in one way or another to the romantic image of their own country. You're saying you have to ignore or reject it to be a good author?

>new form of narratology in order to deal with the deconstructed nature of reality in contemporary life conflicts with the late modernist literary norms

You literally have no fucking idea what you're talking about. You're the kind of person who makes readers look like pseudo idiots.

Parla per te

It's Orientalism, the same critique that Kurosawa gets. If you want the west to like your Asian thing, you better make sure to Asian it up to their stereotypical standards.

Murakami isnt too advanced to anyone, maybe it's just you who is retarded.

He isnt making a dialogue with the West, he is making a product for the westerners.

Kurosawa and Mishima are different though, they have great knowledge of western culture and are using it skillfully but not remain subjected to it like this hack in OP.

I don't think it's possible for a postmodernist to be an orientalist. The former subverts the latter.
I seriously don't know where people are getting this idea that he targets Westerners with his writing. Do Japs not read and enjoy him? Where's the evidence that he's not taking himself seriously?

OP is a faggot who has this long time schtick extending beyond this thread where he writes very long paragraphs with word salad from Critical Theory 101, trying to convince people about Murakami's hidden genius, do not engage it.

thinking of cultural hierarchies in relation to western nations is highly misguided and makes for a shallow understanding not only of literature but of history. Even from within this framing, Japan is hardly inferior judging by their intense soft power and globally dominant economy.
That would be like saying "I don't read American authors because the continent was cucked by Britain, why would I read faux-british authors when I have British authors?"

> You can't risk romanticizing your own country for fear of it being interpreted as cultural whoring

Limiting the cultural ouput of someone to only what can be seen as justified revolt towards (perceived) oppression is not liberating, it's stifling ; like taking a wife-at-home out the house by force to have her work.

Another consequence is preventing the (perceived) oppressors (aka white males) from engaging with ANY cultural artifact without automatically oppressing creator of said cultural artifact ; necessitating to not do that some sort of cucking ritual or a directed theory of hermeneutics.

He's entertaining but kind of a one trick pony and I don't really like his prose (in Japanese, of course, before anyone says my opinion doesn't count or something)

Wow... it looks like Kafka really was on the shore. How is Murakami such a genius?

Have you like been on Veeky Forums for less than a week or something? It's because of who reads his books. Every single media board on this site hates anything that might be consumed by people who might not browse Veeky Forums. In my country, where this man is nothing incidentally, we call them 'normies'. Holy shit we all know this, right? It's the edgy thing we do because we are anonymous we are legion xD xD xD

I personally like Murakami but I think his works are remarkably similar so wouldn't want to read more than one a year. I actually finished the Wind-up Bird Chronicle earlier today. It's fantastic.

So you're exactly like the people in the OP, you display the typical late modernist aversion towards Murakami. Think hard about the literary changes that have taken place in the passage from late modernism to postmodernism. Murakami exemplifies the postmodern and global condition of literary reception. National reception and interpretation is irrelevant to Murakami, his work is globally famous in translation and read all over the world.

Now why do you think Murakami chooses to write in the way he does, what is he trying to represent, what does it deconstruct? Try harder this time. You're still stuck in the paradigm of colonialism and imperialism. Keep in mind that modern Japanese literature, ever since it's inception has been based on foreign literature.

No. It’s because he is a minority.

Say what you want but La grande belleza was amazing.

You are giving murakami too much credit.
He isnt overcoming anything, he is just a sellout and mediocre writer.
I liked him when i was 14, but then i grew up, you will grow up one day too, i hope.

He's not a minority where he lives.

This man, in my country he is nothing.

You're illiterate and full of shit.

He lives in the United States

never read any murakami, and reading this post makes me want to read his work even less. I honestly can't take anyone who believes that postmodernism is superior to modernism seriously.

i don’t like social narratives that revolve around banal bourgeoisie life events and view any author like Jane Austin and Dickinson who does this to be a pseud lesser intellect. fiction should only be read if it touches on the depths of psychology or rises to the heights of spirit. there is no room for middlebrow

That's fine ESL-kun

He lives in Japan now, he lived in the States for many years though.

You can read whatever you want, but Murakami's fiction is what we need right now, someone who can deal with the new environments created by technological innovation.

Dickinson and Austen are banal bourgeois? Your entire post is incoherent.

You need to read less Murakami. It may be rotting your brain.
>Veeky Forums is enamored with late modernists
Not really. And the most basic and widely read of the modernists can usually fill other categories.

>what is the nouveau roman
>what is magical realism
>what is the Latin American boom
>WHO THE FUCK IS KOBO ABE

>b-but muh deconstructed post monderist narratology
This is good bait, but kindly fuck off.