I read it and I'm still not a christian. Is there no hope for me?

I read it and I'm still not a christian. Is there no hope for me?

Other urls found in this thread:

waggish.org/2010/dostoevskys-sequel/
firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2013/01/the-pevearvolokhonsky-hype-machine-and-how-it-could-have-been-stopped-or-at-least-slowed-down
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Read it again, you clearly did not understand it. I know you can do it, user.

read Kierkegaard

Friendly reminder that Aloysha was a fag. Mitya was the best bro.

Agree. Alyosha was supposed to take a more active role in the second novel though

Grushenka best girl and smerdyakov best boy

Why does everyone want to be Christian all of a sudden? Everyday we talk about religion in at least one thread. I feel like at this rate there needs to be a Christian version of the fedora

But he's a pantheist.

Because it would be amazing if Christianity was true, it's honesty worth a try. I tried and gave up tho, and I'd try all over again if it wasn't for that pesky demiurge and problem of evil.

Chritfags say free will or whatever. I personally don't see the point in it. Like yeah morals and all that but there is no facts, just speculation and books written by schizophrenic weirdos

The issue with this kind of thought is that you’re trying to rationalize something as irrational (I mean that in the least derogatory way possible) as faith. Faith stirs inside you and is beyond the realm of logic or reason. If you’d like to achieve faith, open yourself up to as many revelatory pieces of art that you can, art that tries to depict divinity in its purest form. Visit museums, listen to orchestras, read great literature, immerse yourself in the Bible, even if just for its aesthetic properties. You’d think yerrrrggghhhh..... yechhhhrggg.... w-woah... sorry about that, partner... my stomach is feeling a little choppy here, I lost my train of thought...right right, I think you’d be better off forgetting about faith as an end goal you’re striving tooOOoohh... th-that w- ooooeeuuughffff... wow... I must have really eaten something sinister, this is... this is a rough one... feels like high tide at the Bay of Biscay down therr-err-echhooohhhh.... alright, h-hold that thought, partner... I'm gonna hit the toilet real quick, it feels like trouble's a-brewin' down on the southern front... just gottaahhh-h w-wow... just gotta get my bearings straight here... mother have mercy, I'm sweating like swine in summer... just need to relax a bit... o-ohh… easy does it… let’s just focus on making way to the commode… oh, I’m burning, I’m burning up… could have been that chicken parmesan last night… the guy at the deli seemed a bit too eager to sell me that breast… just need to get a cold pack or something… h-hoo… oh nelly, that’s pungent… that’s a chewy one, no doubt…. nearly there… just need to fend off the flood for a few more moments… e-easy… easieehhhh-h… close call… oh I’m drenched… on the anniversary of the first Gulf War’s end, too… why today of all days...

Because they're overreacting to nu-athiesm and trying to be edgy. And/or they like it for the aesthetic, but don't actually believe in their chosen religion (usually Catholocism/Orthodox christianity).

>if Christianity was true, it's honesty worth a try
Is this the practical form of Pascal's wager? Because Pascal's wager is nonsense.

I’m literally weeping into my salad bowl with laughter while reading this. I don’t fucking understand why someone took the time to write this just for this thread
>on the anniversary of the first Gulf War’s end, too...
Jesus fucking christ, Veeky Forums

Post of the fucking year

this

Because it's Veeky Forums

There is

>you can't understand a book if you aren't thoroughly convinced by its underlying philosophy
kill yuorself

pssh

No he isn't

>Because it would be amazing if Christianity was true

What do you mean "if"?

I really wish I could have the brotherly love, agape, selfless compassion for all, but I can't. I'm judgemental and I hate their judgement. What are you supposed to do with these cunts? I just can't stop hating them, much less love them.

>I'm gonna hit the toilet real quick, it feels like trouble's a-brewin' down on the southern front...

Niggah the book literally says ' the more I detest men individually the more ardent becomes my life for humanity'

He means that Christianity isn't real.

Love*

i never thought i’d live to see the day
the world’s first new-sincere shitpost

It's a lie, to think of yourself as a good person. Who wants to be a cliche misanthrope.

You want to be a misanthrope, apparently

Holy shit i haven't laughed this hard in at least a year. You're doing God's work, user.

Yea I do

Atheism has overplayed its hand and is now embarrassing to even remotely associate oneself with and normie websites and news outlets inexplicably promote Islam while condemning nearly every Christian misstep no matter how trivial. It's likely an act of contrarian rebellion.

Must be tough being a broke teenager.

You do know this was originally suppose to be a trilogy, right?

>tfw no TBK part two electric boogaloo

2nd book: alyosha returns to monestary, mitya returns from america, Ivan still crazy
3rd book: alyosha becomes elder, ivan saved by christianity, mitya and grushy living in comfy cabin in wilderness

Cry everytiem
we would live in 'leo who?' land and Slavs would have already brought back Christ

Your bothering to type those words pegs you as a broke teenager in your 20s affecting maturity. You still pretend people like you, and pretend you don't hate the ones you can't pretend don't.

Be honest, your life is a lie.

>your life is a lie.
That's likely projection, and I'm so sorry mate. When you are sad everyone looks like sad cunts.

I don't, but tbf I'd like to understand what Dosto went through in order to write this book.
I don't think I can fully grasp the scene of Ivan and the Devil without having that internal struggle about belief myself. It's like I see the borders of its grandiosity, but I can't go through, namsayin?

>implying
Best boy Alyosha was going to get involved in a political murder and die. Or something like that according to Dosto's wife.

I live in a house under my name with my two doggos and Christian gf, have enough money to save at least half of it but more often spend a good chunk on books, enjoy my job, and read/play vidya for 2-3 hours each, every day. The only thing I don't have is a social circle or a car. I'm 28 and I'm doing pretty well. I used to be like you though. It only gets better if you want it to AND take the necessary steps, including a complete reform of your juvenile perspective on life.

Does she want to have children?

>The only thing I don't have is a social circle
Guaranteed pathological reason for that. Chances are you don't play well with others because you're afraid of them, don't remember how to be vulnerable. You haven't grown up, you've just isolated yourself so you can play pretend. Like I said, your life is a lie.

I don't like going out and I don't like bringing people over because one of my dogs doesn't like strangers. That being said I engage in a necessary amount of socialization at work to still remain a charismatic and sociable person. But after 8 hours it's more enjoyable to shut off the world and just engage myself in my solitary pursuits.

She doesn't but I know she'd come around if I engaged her on the subject. For the time being I'm actually more focused on getting a car and watching the shifts in the local economy. I don't know how affordable it will be to have a kid in the upcoming climate with huge minimum wage ($15+) changes coming into effect as I'm already witnessing a whole heft of price leaps, and since we both make whatever amount of money, it's not like we'd really qualify for any outstanding social/subsidization benefits (not that I'd want to have to go that route anyways, my kid is my responsibility not anyone else's). As for the car thing, I see single mothers on the city bus pushing a stroller. I definitely don't want to be that guy, especially in the event of an emergency room visit. My plan is to save enough ($20k+) to outright buy a new vehicle so I'm not looking at egregious new monthly expenses. I'm about 66% of the way there, though, already so the future is looking bright.

This isn't a psychology office and this isn't a blog.

>it's my dogs fault
>I'm charismatic

I'm done, I don't have the energy to fuck with this level of delusion.

hate is a child’s game

Sign my guestbook if you enjoyed this page

The creator of the universe (who happens to be a jew) didn't kill himself to save a portion of higher mammals from eternal hellfire, sorry.

my sides are in a particle accelerator

Kolya was the best boy. I used to be like him at 13, doing kewl stuff to impress my peers yet being an atheist and getting into precocious philosophical stuff such as black metal.

> mitya returns from america
I think you've mixed it up with C&P 2, in which Svidrigailov would return from America.

Svid died. In the end of the book Mitya planned to escape and run away to america.

Wow

Svidrigailov Lazarus

Do you want a major spoiler, Veeky Forums?
In Dosto's plans for the second book Alyosha becomes a terrorist. And I'm not even joking.

>mfw i want to leap of faith
why can't i just have a purpose, feels bad man

Christianity is idolatry. Jesus wanted you to worship God, not himself.

No. The prospect of the vast majority of humanity being punished eternally for failing some theology test is a horrifying and thankfully, false doctrine.

Major kek

Purpose doesn't require faith.

Nice

Source ?

Jesus is God you brainlet.

It's ok he forgives you for saying such a hateful thing and so do I

Says who?

>There is
... no worse translation of The Master and Margarita than this.

Aesthetic af

I find that fella hard to stomach. Other than his conept of the 'self', I really do find his prose undigestible (read in french).

From everything I can find this is speculation and whether or not he actually planned to do this is disputed by Dosto scholars.

waggish.org/2010/dostoevskys-sequel/

zoozzle

how can anyone like smerdy
he skims athiest books, decides he can do anything he wants, and then when he realizes he's fucked up - offs himself
was he even good at cooking?

It wasnt his fault

I'm still an atheist because it's impossible to convert back if you are not a brainlet but this book and others by Dostoyevsky taught me to become a more noble person. I mean, not that I was a bad person before but made me become more aware of it. So yeah, that's what it did for me but I'm still reading Brothers Karamazov though

The point of the book is a fallacy anyway

>without god there is no objective morality
>therefore you can do whatever you want
>shit hits the fan

Just because you don't like the implications of something being true, doesn't mean it is any less true.

Is the best translation? It's the one I have, about to dive in.

Don't forget the needless cruelty to animals. He tricked those young boys into feeding their pet dog a nail which almost killed it, just to amuse himself. And I think I remember that he tortured animals when he was a kid. That scene where the dying kid was wracked with guilt because he thought he had killed pet dog...

Is it a physical copy? I've heard that P&V is fine for Dostoevsky because his prose is pretty clunky anyway. It's the one I read, and the prose was unmemorable. I came across this article after I had read the book and if I had found it beforehand I would have gone with Avsey: firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2013/01/the-pevearvolokhonsky-hype-machine-and-how-it-could-have-been-stopped-or-at-least-slowed-down
But if you already have a physical copy of the book I wouldn't sweat it.

The muslims are taking over and feminists think they can reeducate us to become some kind of gender-neutral communism. Christianity is the lesser evil.

You don't have to be christian, rather you have to know how christianity works. "The Grand Inquisitor" will be tough to get without seeing all the common byblical motifs, IMO.

Also, you have to keep in mind that edgy reddit-tier nihilists were already around in Russian empire by that time (check Turgenev's "Fathers and Sons"), so there was a historical reason for Dostoevsky to overreact

> They sentenced the members of the circle to death by firing squad, and the prisoners were taken to Semyonov Place in St Petersburg on 23 December 1849 where they were split into three-man groups. Dostoyevsky was the third in the second row; next to him stood Pleshcheyev and Durov. The execution was stayed when a cart delivered a letter from the Tsar commuting the sentence.
You need to experience big stress, like Dosto

True

What a fucking brainlet.

I had a religious moment of ecstasy reading the part about father Zosimas life.

READ IT AGAIN.

Mitja is one of the greatest character ever created. Also Starets Zosima and Krasoktin are GOAT
Now big quesion: Crime and Punishment or this?

Probably one of my favourite parts as well, together to the one where Mitja dreams of a crying little boy in a miserable village

pretty much. And this is not happening now, maybe here on Veeky Forums, but this reaction astarted maybe a bit less than decade ago

>Atheism has overplayed its hand and is now embarrassing to even remotely associate oneself with

Only on Veeky Forums and frog twitter where people spam fedora memes whenever anyone talks about it.

Real world people are ashamed of it, too. Pseudointellectual comedian David Mitchell regularly makes fun of religion, esotericism, astrology and the like, yet also puts Atheism in the same category as those, calling it an unfounded and irrational believe, much akin to a religion, which only naive children could believe in.

> an unfounded and irrational believe, much akin to a religion
Maybe the strawman atheist that knows for sure with absolute certainty that there is no god, which doesn't even exist outside of edgy teenagers. Most atheists are agnostics.

Veeky Forums always used to be very christian
I just feel like a bunch of newfags swap this board. Thats the reason for all these fucking anime posters and fucking peterson threads.
Fuck off

A. Peterson is Christian, so you christfags are posting him
B. This is literally a website specifically FOR anime. You complaining about it means you don’t belong here

Watch Dekalog.

holy... i unironically want more

>peterson a christian
By what definition?

this picture is so arousing to me. i want her to watch me kiss men

Go kill yourself

I read this and holy shit it fucking sucked. There were grammatical errors and the word “interlocutor” was everywhere. Is the book shit or are Richard Pavear & what’s her name terrible?

Do I need to subvocalise this to appreciate the rhythm of the words?