Veeky Forums, why do you read?

Genuinely wondering, why do you guys read books? Is there a specific reason for it, or do you simply enjoy reading them?

I've enjoyed hoarding knowledge ever since I've read A Canticle for Leibowitz

Is there a specific reason for it, or do you simply enjoy reading them?

I read because I enjoy not being a brainlet.

1. My goal is to write novels, and I must be well-read to be a good novelist.
2. Reading allows me to live other lives and be a different person through fiction - I'm taking that quote from somewhere, don't remember where. Life is too unsatisfying and mundane to not dive into fictional worlds every once in a while.

Epic comment, fella!

Primarily because I want a larger frame of reference for understanding existence and how to live my life
Secondarily because you can hardly be an interesting person if you know nothing about anything

It's enjoyable.

To elaborate on this; life and nature lack reason and meaning. Humans can create meaning. In a way a good story that has purpose to its plots, themes, characters and atmosphere is more 'real' to the human condition than chaotic reality itself.
Reading lets you experience several lifetimes.
If a book is 'good' all of this combines to form an aesthetic whole that challenges me, lifts me up and leaves me in a blissful state. That's why I read.

Grug louk at nakid pitchers get rise in loincloth, Grug like roading bouks!

I miss /fitlit/ so fucking much bros

It helps me trick other people into believing there's some value to my life. When I tell them that I read 50 books last year they are amazed and think I'm some kind of intellectual.

For me, I only started getting into reading when I began learning languages and basically only read french, german and korean lit.

I read for meaningful information, and not that bullshit touchy feely meaning, not a big fiction guy.

No specific reason, I just enjoy literature. Why do you browse here OP?

Same. I want to write and create stories and vast worlds with a plethora of lore.
I'm terrible at it so far, so I need some references. And it is entertaining. I got pulled away by movies and games is all.

I read because I like to feel powerful, and knowledge is power. I get a little dopamine burst every time I finish a book, knowing that I'm a little bit more intelligent and more worldly

Because any fucking decent person who has climbed down the tree and wears trousers should be well read. What a fucking stupid question, why do you breathe?

New fag here wats fitlit?

>why do you read?
For insights. For aesthetic appreciation. Because I'm bored at work. To learn about whatever interests me. To get involved in a good story. And, most important of all, to become more pretentious.

It was an April Fool's joke two years ago or something. Hiroshimoot merges several boards together temporarily, including /fitlit/, /mlpol/, etc.

>spending my last couple of days just reading and working out with a minimal amount of Veeky Forums brain rot
amazing feeling, existence has been immensely improved

>escaping Veeky Forums
What are your secrets, motherfucker?

I don't read lol