What are some books that deal with Galaxy wide empires...

What are some books that deal with Galaxy wide empires? I really enjoyed the Foundation series and I was wondering if there was anything else like it.

>Genre fiction
Leave, and never come back.

What is wrong with genre fiction?

Look around you pleb, can't you see this is a board for enlightened intellectuals such as myself? Now delete this children's thread and begone from my chamber so I may return to calling people psued's for reading books.

>Uses quote from genre fiction

Ahh I see, Guess I should go read Ulysses again instead of having some fun and reading a simple fun book.

Dune and Hyperion are pretty good.

What did you enjoy about the Foundation Series? I read it years ago, it was all the hype then too, and I came away.....unfulfllled. It just didn't seem that inspired. Am I missing something?

LOGH.

I'd recommend watching it instead of reading it, though.

The general idea of psychohistory was great and them sort of fighting against all perceivable odds and eventually winning despite never firing a single wapon. The whole twist with the main "villian" was aslo great. I don't know. It just gave me that feeling I had wanted from Star wars all these years. An actual Space opera.

Hyperion is good until space furries

I loved the first Dune book.

DUNE
U
N
E

>sietch leader
A pretty piss-poor one if he's in the open without his hood or mouthpiece on, and you can see by his cracked lips and skin that that behavior is habitual.

Stop being pretentious and feeling superior to people because you conflate all genre fiction with Harry Potter.

Definitely Dune and the galactic empire series, but the idea of empire has become problematic in our culture and so needs to be revised, reimagined and reinterpreted from the point of view of the Other.

Nigger

meant to post this

Yeah the Fremen were people living on a planet that couldn't really support much humanity, not just desert slobs who get all tanned and fried and blinded by dust at 35.

i don't remember any space furries in the Hyperion books. there was a lot of catholic bashing, but no furries that i recall.

OP: Iain M Banks' "Culture" novels. apparently Amazon is making the first, "Consider, Phlebas" into a series. woohoo, Idirans!

If anything they were probably all pretty damn pale under their suits (except maybe faces and hands) given their extreme discipline. You wouldn't think that a giant ball of sand would be a place you'd find a ginger but Chani probably fits the bill pretty well given that she's described as having red hair.

Second the culture series. I have serious doubt about the amazon series though :(

He's probably referring to the Ousters

The foundation was good up until the later half of the trilogy. It became very boring and dull in comparisson with the first half.

A wise man follows his own advice.

>can't you see this is a board for enlightened intellectuals such as myself?
kek

Try "Dread Empire's Fall" by Walter Jon Williams. Very little known apparently, but IMHO one of the best military science fiction series out there. Other series dealing with space empres are the Vorkosigan saga by Lois mcMaster-Bujold and the Honor Harrington series by David Weber.

What do you mean by later half? The sequels he wrote years later?

Are you talking about the mule? I think the part before he appears is more interesting

go play halo

The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook. SF not Fantasy.

I find Foundation, and Asimov in general to be incredibly dull and overrated.
As for your question, the Culture novels by Iain M Banks can't be overlooked if you want a good space opera.

I meant the later half of part two and the whole part three
The sequels and prequels were also pretty bad. The prequel about the life of Sheldon was specially awful.
The only good part on the mule arch is right before he reveals himself. The state of paranoia and outright madness in the two protagonists is very claustrophobic in a good way.

Also, the part where the mule is just sitting there like a retard and then suddendly they discover who he is and he stands up towering like a badass with zero sign of the retardation he conveyed through the entire book as that weird juggler is too fucking funny. It sounds like an OC selfinsert. He goes from balls to the wall dumb to fucking master of the universe genius

>DUNEfags BTFO
Herbert was a faggot and wrote faggot yarns.
Now Iain, there's a master.
do you mean series as in TV series?.... Holy shit you are right

>consider phlebas tv series
i am always quite cynical about book adaptations, but i can't help but be excited for this.

You want a real space opera then read Alistair Reynolds. I love a lot of his short stories. My favourite book by him was Century Rain.

Not all works in a given genre are genre fiction, and the ignorance of that is more or less the psude-shibboleth.