Going on a 2 week long trip for spring break, is this a good read?

Going on a 2 week long trip for spring break, is this a good read?

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/21410100
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes, one of the greatest books of the second half of the 20th century, but not for 2 weeks and maybe not for you. You can try

Honestly no.

It's one of my favorite books, it's incredibly funny throughout, but it also has a few moments that are excruciatingly sad, tense, and horrific.

It'll take you about a month or two to read it all, and I'd highly advise you read it with at least one other person so you can talk about it as you go along.

I know how this sounds, but the first 250 pages are the hardest part. After that, you find your footing and by the late 700's you'll be wishing you weren't so close to the end.

Hi user. I'm halfway through it at the moment.

Just forget about payoffs, and the plot. Focus on the characters and the world and take it page by page. Be patient. Enjoy.

just take it One Day At A Time. It's a fantastic read.

No its a bad book, Gravity’s Rainbow and Ulysses are worth reading, this shit is not

if you read this book and come out with Orin or Pemulis as your favorite character, you're a brainlet.

The opposite of this is true

I like all 3 of those books

Friendly Veeky Forums is the best Veeky Forums

Come on, bro, they are at least top four with Mario and Gately.

let me guess, you like Lyle

Yes I absolutely loved it. Really savor it

Fuck I felt the same way by page 800, I was saying shit I don't want it to end.
I agree. It's a lot like Pynchon in the way that if you just go for the ride it's a lot smoother than thinking about it. Much like a prostate exam. Just enjoy the ride don't think about it too much.

i mean people will say it's great and people will say it's shit and maybe they both have a point, but that's irrelevant
the important thing is that it's more or less required reading if you intend to be in on all the Veeky Forums memery

cannot agree more

best characters:

> Mario
> Struck
> Ann Kittenplan
> Charles Tavis
> Ferocious Francis

Mine was Gately

No you dumb faggot ur going in a trip u will barely read bring small book. Or collection of short stories

Like this book a lot but you dont want to cram this one a break

don gately is just annoying imo
> stupid
> strong, scary, physical presence
> an authority
> unquestioning wrt dogma, enforces it
> content with leading an unexamined life

generally the type of person that i fear/avoid

so far he seems like even more of a pos than the pretentious frenchcanadian guy on the cliff or joelle,

the death by phlem/lung collapse/exhaustion/bleed out is the most disgusting thing i have read

I didn't really like Orin, Gately and Hal appealed more to me

sometimes people actually offer their sincere opinions on here

and i'm reminded of how little stock i should put into this place

literally prove me wrong

you cant

Just grab a copy, it's a solid book, makes a great paperweight, you can use it as a pillow while travelling, and the extensive notes section can provide tinder for your campfire. This book was my sole guide during the appalachian trail, the experience was transcendental.

> stupid
> strong, scary, physical presence
> an authority

How are these reasons to dislike him?

> unquestioning wrt dogma, enforces it
> content with leading an unexamined life

Literally untrue, read the book again

>so far
well there you go

>> unquestioning wrt dogma, enforces it
>> content with leading an unexamined life
> Literally untrue, read the book again
over 500 pages in and every other time the frame goes back to him it reiterates that he doesn't understand how AA works and just regurgitates the motions bc it works for him, and he makes other people do it. he loudly voices that he doesn't understand AA as a means to fulfill the AA mantras.

>> stupid
>> strong, scary, physical presence
>> an authority
> How are these reasons to dislike him?
bc i am too immature to cope with authority :(

it's 70 pages a day which is reasonable. but that's if he isn't planning on doing other stuff.

been out of work b/c of a dui, decided to get this book to fill time, took me a month, multiple hours just about every day

maximum kek

No, it's shit, OP. Don't get memed.

Mario make me be cry, poor retarded fella

Imagine being this contrarian.

What's the best Incandenza kino, and why is it Fun With Teeth?

>inb4 Infinite Jest

I've been told that I need to read the action scene. Which pages?

How do you read this book in 2 weeks?

Has any non-native English speaker read this book actually?

reading the story of the biker nun, i couldn't help but picture the whole thing in a Best of the Worst episode, i could practically reach out and touch the mike's sofas.

>action scene
you mean the Eschaton game?

Yes many

Stupid question as it has been translated into multiple languages. Even in English it is somewhat well known and well memed

That or the scene where Gately gets shot

I'm from Chile and it's kind of known here among some niches. Although I don't know how many people have actually read it. I unironically know at least two people who keep posting quotes and memes about it on facebook but who haven't read it.

No

Yes

Hey-- I'm looking for a video where a frat boy holds a copy of IJ in a car and yells out DAVID FOSTER WALLAAACE out the window towards strangers.

vimeo.com/21410100

I wish chilean posters would fuckoff. I say this as a chilean. We are just beaners my man, no need to highlight ourselves, no one is gonna wow at us.

why do frat boys and chads suddenly like DFW now?

They fall for every meme. In year 2028 normies will greentext their minions jokes.

he's the modern everyman's """philosopher""", and he says what he has to say in long-winded wordy superfluously bloated prose so that when you quote it on facebook or goodreads or your okcupid profile you seem smart and "cool"
when enough people catch on it'll go by the wayside again for a couple decades

Are there really people who like Orin the most? He was funny but mostly a cunt. Mario is best boy.

Was DFW even sincere?

be a NEET like me

no, but he tried to

I absolutely love the first half of the book, the second half is really easy for me to lose interest. I don't quite get why it's so common to be have difficulty with the first 250 pages or so. It's not particularly jarring.

John Wayne is the GOAT

you're part of best Veeky Forums
:)

Don't be such a self-hating virgin, bro. Chile isn't so bad.

so what exactly is Infinite Jest other than Joelle saying "I'm sorry" over and over again plus some weird 3D effect?

I thought the book was infinite jest

You have to believe the in-universe mythology that the woman who kills you in this life is your mother in the next. She is apologizing for killing you before, and for the life she has cursed with you with now. The POV is up from a bassinet or cradle, and the googly visual effect accidentally the optical acuity of a newborn, so JOI supposedly recreated the actual transcendent experience of seeing your mother/murderer apologizing for your entire existence. Resulting in a viewer experience of total release from care and responsibility and mortality the rapture of which is impossible to ever be without.

And don't forget about the person going through the revolving door.

>not Men In Small Rooms Making Use Of Every Last Cubic Centimeter Of Space With Mind-Boggling Efficiency

>not wave bye bye to the bureaucrat

>not Every Last Inch of Disney Leith

Blood Sister: One Tough Nun was funny in 1996 but now it unironically sounds like something Tarantino would make tomorrow..

They're corrupt/kinda dumb but they grow on you. I think Wallace succeeded in making a lot of sympathetic characters

You're just like the 'smart' guy who keeps relapsing in the book

>the woman who kills you in this life is your mother in the next.
why does the film affect everyone though? not everyone killed by woman

>No Pemulis
I think you need to read the book again

Even if you lived a perfectly peaceful conflict-free life of total celibacy and solitude, you were born of a woman, and so consigned to die. I guess she gets to be your mother twice.

nigga I do unironically hope that Tarantino is going to make some such movie