What are you reading right now, Veeky Forums?

what are you reading right now, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_cigarette_consumption_per_capita
lung.org/stop-smoking/i-want-to-quit/benefits-of-quitting.html
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5490618/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Urth of the New Sun
~100 pages left

After Virtue by Alasdair Macintyre

It's much harder then I though or i'm just a brainlet.

What kind of nigger reads on the curb of a street?

> smokes
You think you're cool huh faggot? Nice choice in book though

The Inheritors by William Golding. Interesting but a little confusing since it’s from a Neanderthal’s perspective and apparently Golding believed that Neanderthals were telepathic.

this post

>he even rotated the cig to show the logo in the pic

Not possible to be cool when reading a signet classic translation on the curb. You just look like a stupid and the cigs don't help.

Siddhartha by Hesse
Technological Society by Ellul

I read the opening paragraph of Wizard's First Rule.

There is an array of personality disorders culminating in this picture.

>American spirits

Christ you're a faggot

I miss being young. OP i am quitting smoking and reading Ursula Leguin, since you asked.

Neuromancer and some book about Democritus

Are those American Spirit cigs worth smoking? What am I in for (besides cancer and lung disease)?

You must be an amerifag, everyone in europe smokes like a lunatic.

Not worth it. Smoking is a shitty habit that will manifest you of your entire livelihood. You've heard it from the devil himself.

Assuming you already smoke, kinda. They're my favorite brand for if I'm not rolling. But be a true patrician and either get a pipe or roll Bali shag or Peter stokkebye.

Herman Melville collection from barnes and noble.
It's only comfirming his utter genius.

This guy is a faggot. You can smoke for a few years and be completely fine after you quit, science has shown this. The serious adverse health effects start coming on after 10, 15, 20 years of smoking. Make sure you quit before you've been doing it for five years continuously, if you want to start.

With that in mind, just smoke whatever the fuck you want. Spirits are fucking repulsive and drag like a piece of chalk, not worth the money. And they make you look like a tryhard faggot poseur. They are made for idiot hipsters who want to deceive themselves into believing their tobacco habit is somehow less bad for them because the tobacco is "organic." Marb reds and Camel Turkish Royals were what I smoked. Newports occasionally for the minty flavor.

Are you in the right thread? Melville?

>They are made for idiot hipsters who want to deceive themselves into believing their tobacco habit is somehow less bad for them because the tobacco is "organic."

No wonder Paul Thomas Anderson smokes those.

>You can smoke for a few years and be completely fine after you quit, science has shown this
Gonna need a source on this. Everything I've seen indicates that even light or intermittent smoking has a noticeable negative impact on health (at the population level).

in my country only dumb brown people living in state housing with twenty children and eating KFC every night smoke.

I have Moby Dick in the b&n classics edition (not the flashy gay ass leather shit). It even comes with a dictionary of sea/whale hunting terms.What's wrong with it?

Mongolia?

hm? I dunno. I love melville, haven't seen the b&n of Moby Dick though.
I smoke peter stokkebye as well, my cob is always full of balkan supreme or english oriental.
the thread is asking what i'm reading. it's Melville that i'm reading, and it's Melville that i'm responding.

Yeah, I already smoke sometimes in parties and when I need time alone to "think". Marbs and Camels, unfiltered, no menthol. Never tried A. Spirits.

Ok, Im high and confused, Im reading Amulet.

I’m reading pic related, still 80 pages left and it’s very good but the first 200 pages were kind of hard to penetrate

huh

>penetrate

kek

no they don't

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_cigarette_consumption_per_capita

we smoke more than yurofags do, not that this is anything to be proud of

>You can smoke for a few years and be completely fine after you quit,
Stopped reading there. You are totally and absolutely retarded.

He probably doesn't quite know what he's talking about.
I'm pretty sure he's saying you need to smoke for a few years before you get cancer, which I'm pretty sure is true. However, CO will hijack your hemoglobin, a film of tar will line your lungs and your respiratory system will get irritated from smoking even a single cigarette. Saying that smoking only becomes harmful a few years in is definitely wrong.

You smoke more than fucking France. Damn. Those Frenchies have pussied out.

>lung.org/stop-smoking/i-want-to-quit/benefits-of-quitting.html
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5490618/
>Smokers who stop before their mid-30s have approximately the same life expectancy as never smokers

Your risk of lung cancer will become greater (go from one percent to about 5 if you quit completely before five years) and, provided you don't smoke for long enough to get COPD or emphysema, all other damage will heal. I'm not especially concerned about the 4% higher chance of lung cancer. I would rather enjoy myself a bit when I'm alive than live in needless fear of death.

It's obviously harmful immediately, I'm saying that all the damage up to a certain point can be reversed. You would know this if you looked into it. If you smoke too long, or too often while you are a smoker, you will have irreversible damage.

>China
>4k cigs per year
What the actual fuck

its probably just boomers and asians/spics that are driving the rate up. Outside of college kids trying to take the edge off their coke buzz most white adults under 35 do not smoke at all

hello are u a doctor or shall we just listen to whatever you say

Cigarettes look degenerate, sorry man.

>smoking

i immediately think less of you

Not a numbers person, are you?

>ITS THE BROWN PEOPLE !!!
haha
nice sources, by the way.

>per capita
isn’t that kind of a worthless metric for consumption of cigarettes?

I'm a spic kek either way France has pussied out.

Ask a doctor, or look up articles about this written by doctors, and you will see the same thing. They're going to tell you not to smoke, but if you're dead set on doing it, it can still be done to an extent that won't cause permanent damage or impairment.

Are you Murican?

Yeah, it tells nothing about the actual population of smokers.

And what if I smoke Newport?

wait those are those ugly sneaker like doc martens aren't they why are you wearing those

The first volume of Kotkin's "Stalin" biographies. I'm about 400/750 pages right now.

Why do you wear socks with sandals?

2666 and drinking Corona.

imagine being this much of a fag

Don't try to deflect those are monkey boots aren't they

How far in op? I'm on part 4, and it's a fucking awesome ride! The best part is that he keeps introducing better characters. Of course, Raskolnikov is slickly morose, etc., but Svidrigailov is turning into my favorite character: The Absolute Madman!! Sonia is evolving interestingly, even Pyotr and Razuhimin, the whole ghost-stuff--which I won't spoil, the plot just keeps evolving and escalating. And it is all written so smoothly and naturally. D puts up so few barriers to smoothness, but 100 pages go by and all of a sudden 3 or 4 major philosophical points have been unveiled using completely believable characters. Plato looks like such a bitch in comparison: I honestly can't stop laughing

They're okay in my book.

plato was a retard

I like Raskolnikov even though he's a snob

I wouldn't go that far, but Doesteyevsky is innumerably better

Severyanin poems and drinking bear for 0.45$

I don't really feel them they're too chunky and overly ornate in their stitching

you do you though

Rereading Lord Of the Flies for the first time since high school and Edith Hamilton's mythology on the side, prepping for the Iliad

why do these type of post make me cringe?

because you can't tell if they're hamming it up for a reaction or if they sincerely feel so strongly about a book that it makes them type like a kid

I think it's nice people still get excited about a book in this way and in this day and age. Literature and reading are fucking dying and we're here complaining because some dude is enjoying Dosto.

Phone posting with a cracked screen, but ya, I'm giddy. It's a good book--isn't that why we are here? Heaven forbid someone is passionate!!

woops that was a bit more cynical than I wanted it to be

whoa cool boots and ciggy! stay redpozzed my dude!

>Newports occasionally
>calling others faggot

Just got done with The Righteous Mind by Haidt
What do I read next?
>The Spectacular Achievements of Propaganda by Chomsky
>The Doors of Perception by Huxley
>Prometheus Rising by RAW

I am reading Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham.

About to start Aeschyllus' Orestia (translated by my man Lattimore). Just finished reading all his other tragedies.

>>Prometheus Rising by RAW
Save yourself the trouble user. This is one of the few Veeky Forums memes that has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

because it was obviously written by a petersonian
>3 or 4 major philosophical points have been unveiled using completely believable characters
one of the most common criticisms of dosoyevsky is precisely that he doesn't do this, instead using melodramatic caricatures to make philosophical and political points. the only way you can read dostoyevsky and find his characters "completely believable" is if you're a shut-in loser with no real life experiences.

I've heard that a lot, but I watched an interview of his in which he seemed smart, he knew what he was talking about.
What's so bad about the book?

>t. norm macdonald

and in what way is that possible?

Say that to my face, bitch

How can you smoke and read? Even if you're past the dizziness or the tremors it'll still distract the shit out of me

I haven't smoked in a while though so maybe I've forgotten the experience

Yeah, I've been reading a bunch of Ursula Le Guin I never got around to since she died too. Currently in the middle of Lathe of Heaven.

Still haven't seen anyone on Veeky Forums answer that question despite the amount of people that keep saying the book is worthless. Read it and find for yourself if it has worth to you.

>the only way you can read dostoyevsky and find his characters "completely believable" is if you're a shut-in loser with no real life experiences
sounds more like an advertisement than a criticism desu

Yeah I made a thread about RAW a few days ago, no real criticisms, just saying it's shit and worthless.
Probably the reptilians trying to dissuade me

This.

>Male: More stuff you want to show everyone
>Female: Yourself

for a certain type of person, sure

Finally getting into literature. Just read Annihilation and liked it (though I don't think I'll bother with the other two). Anybody recommend an easy to digest sci-fi novel that isn't part of a series. I was pretty disappointed after I finished that nothing had been answered.

>Annihilation
>Literature

Please leave

You reading it, too? And hey, you're that guy who occasionally posts the skeleton hugging a rump

Currently reading Swann's way of Proust. The depictions of the landscapes of Combray and the glorious passage of the madeleine is the best prose I've ever read.

come on man I haven't read a book since 2000, if it got me through a book for once then fuck it.

Those are ugly as fuck. The only good Docs are the standard 1460 model.

I literally know a person like Raskolnikov, Razuhimin, and someone else like Sonia. Certain people attract certain people. Doesteyevsky isn't a pleb--and a lot of people are, so he doesn't write pleb characters, so a lot of people can't relate

Dam, this is written so shitttily. I'm gunna stop posting at work

4k cigarettes per year is less than 10 per day. That's only half a pack. Certainly not ideal but definitely not "heavy" smoking. Obviously that 10-12 per day includes a substantial percentage of adults who don't smoke cigarettes, but I'd bet the average smoker there doesn't smoke more than at most a pack and a half a day. Likely just a larger percentage of adults smoke there, so it makes the national average skew so much higher.