26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness...

>26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

What did he mean by this?

>Then Gos Said, "Puritanism was a fucking mistake, and you should never read the Bible literally."

(((checked)))
You shouldn't read into this one so much

We created a god that gives humans special privileges because humans have a preference for ourselves.

What's your point

Why did you respond to me

It's in response to OP as well.

We may never know. The man who wrote that died thousands of years ago.

Others might call it a way of using religion to justif mankind raping and destroying the earth for his/her own gain.

They were actually ayy lmaos

God made mankind special and gave them the authority to use and master the natural world.

>It's a metaphor
>Except the part about God being real and Jesus coming back to life and acceding to heaven.

this makes me depressed

It should make you angry

We had dominion over everything. Let me explain it in simple terms, in the near east Gardens were hard as fuck to maintain and were seen as a symbol of wealth and a social status of a king. God had a Garden, we were his gardeners. We had dominion over all things in order to maintain the Garden. This is obviously a literary vehicle rather than a literal story of our creation. I find it interesting how the creation story follows the same pattern of events as the big bang and evolution.

It's almost like they're completely seperate sections with varying histories

Malthus pls

Question to any Christians here:

Do you guys actually believe in the stuff that happened in Genesis? Adam and Eve, people living 900 years, Noah's Arc, etc.?

It's obviously a metaphor for ancient aliens.

I see "Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”" not as the biological human being made but that humans got souls and consciousness, just like God and the angels, explaining the plurality.
I mean, homo sapiens existed for a short ass time but civilization only for a short while, I think this is because God gave them the reign across animals and plants (the knowledge to keep cattle, have agriculture, hunt and fish effectively etc.).
It wouldn't be entirely impossible for somebody to become 900 (especially if you believe in God)

And atheists still don't want to believe that He will come back soon.

77 Then God said, "Verily, I have thus feasted on this holocaust of repeating digits."

Kek

This. The New Testament has far less odd stories and brutality than the first book.
There's really no genocide or emphasis on circumcision unlike the Old Testament.

So... Jesus is the Marten Luther of Judaism?

It's a bit more complicated than that. There was no neat dichotomy between "literal" and "metaphor". Even Aquinas thought that animals were tame towards humans before the "Fall"

>I find it interesting how the creation story follows the same pattern of events as the big bang and evolution.

More like Paul is the Marten Luther figure.

No, Jesus is the prophesied Messiah.

It means you can farm cows for meat but you still can't get two pandas to fuck in captivity

No... Cyrus the Great of Persia was the anointed one (the Messiah), who set the Jews free and sent them back home to Israel after he conquered Babylon. He even paid for rebuilding the temple in Jerusalem.

Paul was an opportunist...

Its the reason you exist, ungrateful shits.

He is posting meme "end of the world" graphs implying the planet cant support our number, despite all of that farmland being wasted for geopolitical reasons, and despite humanity having outlived thousands of "hurrr the Earth cant support 1 billion people durrrr" wannabe doomprophets.

Actually everything the bible says need to be taken literally or you have mongoloids that make up subjective meanings for it like most christians today that have to AGREE on what a verse even means outside of its literal meaning.

>We had dominion over all things in order to maintain the Garden.
Spears are the only reason we still exist, we had dominion over nothing till agriculture.

consciousness