Dude, you can, like, change your character if you do something enough times lol

>dude, you can, like, change your character if you do something enough times lol

This smells like bullshit. No matter how many times I exercise, I still don't feel any more desire to exercise than I did before I exercised. Clearly things aren't as simple as this.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habit
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gut–brain_axis
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurobiological_effects_of_physical_exercise
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He means habit.
dumb cunt

You probably just have not done it enough desu senpai

How many times have you actually tried? Have you made it habitual? Daily practice? Try harder faggot.

Wait who is it?

Marcus ‘Plato’ Aurelius

I would feel more comfortable if I knew anyone who has gone through with this and has actually made a permanent change in their habits/character/whatever. As it stands, all I hear is people - who like the idea and want to defend it - saying "oh, you just haven't done it enough!" even though they were never successful with it themselves.

Describe what you mean exactly, I’ve changed my life considerably by habit forming through repetition. It’s hard at first but it gathers its own momentum

>what is classical conditioning

u r dum

how many times have you exercised?

Okay, I ask you this: are these people satisfied with their lives? Because most of them don't seem to be.

Same question. Are you more satisfied now? Was all of this habit forming worth the effort. Honest question, not trying to be hostile.

>inb4 moving the goalpost

I feel more satisfied overall. I wake up early every day, I exercise every day, I practice piano every day, I read every day. I used to do none of these things. I do feel a sense of lack of time in life sometimes, but overall I am happy I made the changes to a better lifestyle

its not really about desire,its about difficulty.
doing exercises you hate wont make you hate them less,it ll make the easier,which in turn means more bearable.
bad habits work the same.if you snack like a fat fuck regularly,you ll still feel good,but itll also become routine.

And I feel regret that I didn’t do it earlier. I started this change at 25, and sometimes I imagine how much better my life would have been had I started at 15, or 20, or even 24.

This only works if you have low IQ basically.
You're essentially attempting to train yourself like you would a dog.

Higher IQ should lead to being able to more quickly change routine. People who can’t change routine have slow brains

I had a hard time going to local pool. I've been learning crawl and my first two weeks I could barely walk after each practice. But now I can swim 500 metres with no sweat (well you can't actually sweat in water).

>well you can't actually sweat in water

huh?

Well I've checked it and you actually are sweating a lot but it's hard to notice when you are all drenched.
No wonder I drink like a fucking maniac after practice.

It's obvious that skills improve with practice. What I'm concerned about is whether you inevitably come to actually enjoy/desire/etc. whatever you develop a habit to do.

You didn't make any argument

Aristotles nicomachean ethics is nothing genius by today's standards, but yes if you habituate yourself to something you would take pleasure in that thing, and become virtuous in that action, be it intellectual virtue or moral virtue

If you habituate yourself to fight fires, you tend to become a firefighter, it's an incredibly easy concept to wrap your head around

Me again, also your argument about excercising is psychologically wrong, habituation manifests its self in the brain, start a thread on Veeky Forums about it if you'd like a fuller explanation. However, I would start by saying that you don't like that thing yet because you are already habituated to that which is the easiest thing, not exercising, which though being a deficiency of a virtue, still proves the point Aristotle was going for.

I am contesting the idea that habitation necessarily leads to pleasure in that thing you are habituated to do. For example, factory workers perform repetitive tasks day in and day out, but most don't seem to find pleasure in their work no matter how many times they do it. I could come up with more examples of things that become more tiresome rather than more pleasurable when you do then repetitively. Is there something I'm missing here?

>I am contesting the idea that habitation necessarily leads to pleasure in that thing you are habituated to do.

Who claimed that?

>if you habituate yourself to something you would take pleasure in that thing

>desire
wew

Regular practice will improve your iq. So do that first then move on to other stuff

Obviously you aren't referring to moral virtue, so I assume you are referring to intellectual virtue.

Intellectual virtue is not work or a craft, it is a set of characteristics, using critical thinking, philosophizing, being open minded and empathetic are intellectual virtues.
You can't analogize work to anything related to anything in nicomachean ethics.

You are supposed to habituate yourself from either your deficiency or excess (assuming you weren't raised with habituation to the virtuous thing) to that which is good. Instead of ignoring people or blankly letting them speak, genuinely hearing them and listening, and through practicing this, you become habituated with things that are intellectually virtuous.

Again, nothing to do with anything so far listed.

>implying aristotle listed "working in a factory" as an intellectual virtue

Again, when I first went to the pool I just wanted to strengthen my shoulder-line. But l quicly became bored with just swimming back and forth for a set duration of time. So instead I set a goal for myself that I should master my crawl technique. And when I started to pat attention to breathing/stroking/postitioning my body in water swimming became more enjoyable.

There is literally no evidence that this is the case. Jordan Peterson told me so.

OP, you're a lazy piece of shit.

Study another language for an hour a day for a year and lift heavy and eat smart. See if your quality of life doesn't improve.

I really hate when people do this on Veeky Forums, and its great that you are engaging and trying to clarify something, but from what you've said I really feel like you skimmed nicomachean ethics.
Everyone has their own list of philosophers that they find difficult to take in since philosophers each use a radically and uniquely unconventional writing style, so I'm really not shitting on you, but I think if you read chapters 1 through 7 really attentively you'll have a better time understanding it.

P.S, again I'm not trying to shit on you or anything, but it sounds like you might have read reference material instead of the actual thing, do you have a copy? I think I have some links to the pdf somewhere if you want them

yes, retard, if you make something a habit it becomes desirable after a while.

I stopped going to the gym last year, but now I returned because I found I want to lift to improve my looks and lose fat and be healthy, even if I don't find it particularly exciting.

people find to be passionate of the stuff they do daily, even if they didn't like it at first.

habit is done because it is the most known thing
the most known thing is the easiest thing
the easiest thing is the desireable thing

not that you aren't misunderstanding aristotle, but you are also wrong in your already uneducated argument

Habit has nothing to do with liking it.
It means you dislike not doing it, and enjoy the whole of everything more - not the parts themselves.
>Being: healthier/harder working/more knowledgeable, leads to greater amounts of positive potential/opportunity > happier > prouder of yourself > happier > others are prouder of you and like you > happier > more confident > happier > a meaningful life > happier

When I wake, I would really like staying in bed, cause I have a habit of doing so, I don't like changing activity or surprises. But I know, once I've left where I was, I do enjoy the new activity, or at least feel "this wasn't that bad". Habit is making change inclination. Right now I wish I could get up and read a book, but my habit of doing nothing glues me to here - except now today in this moment when I've become self-aware of it, but what of the next day? - everything is habit.

The more you do and have, the more you make and keep.

>what are the people at the top of their fucking world class job or skill
yeah nigger, practicing piano four hours every day for twenty years clearly means to do that is fun.

or drawing for hours and also paying for courses and practicing boring old values and perspective for hour is fun.

or having three daily workouts every day.

It takes more than having fun to reach a level of master of any skill.

Once you start making gains you're going to enjoy it, and once you enjoy your new strength & looks you'll fear losing them, so you'll enjoy working out in order to not lose what you earned.

So if you stay in bed and miss your lectures you will have fun?

I'm a hybrid-NEET and only work a few times a week.

Poor people cant afford that.

Incontinence is hard to overcome. Habits not formed during childhood will kick and push you away, that's no secret.

if you associate said habit with a reward,or it is itself rewarding,yes.If the reverse is true,youll come to hate it.

not true

Why not?

Can't afford what?

Anybody with access to the internet can study a language.

If you can't afford a gym membership there are countless calisthenic workouts, or "street" workouts or, fuck, get something heavy and lookup "plate workouts" and use the heavy thing instead of the plate.

Eating well while poor is possible as well. Just have to pay a little more attention.

>hybrid neet
no such thing retard

Yes it is, dumb cunt.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habit
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gut–brain_axis
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurobiological_effects_of_physical_exercise

Other way around, high IQ will enable faster changes and enable you to approach the attempt at changing in a more efficient manner.

Your mentality and feelings towards something are exactly the same as skills improving with practice. You can change your mentality. Generally-speaking, if you're competent in something then you enjoy it (or at least derive satisfaction in your ability). So usually you don't need to specifically change your mentality towards it, it happens with the task. You can still do so, however. It requires self-knowledge, discipline, and planning.

But see if you just kept of exercising it would change.

But now your changing the goalposts. You went from exercising to finding contentment. Those two are not necessarily related to each other.

You have a lot of estrogen in your body compared to the men of ancient Greece. Go play with dolls or something.

>try harder.

>What I'm concerned about is whether you inevitably come to actually enjoy/desire/etc. whatever you develop a habit to do.
Even if you don't desire it you'll still do it out of habit, which is a better state than what you were earlier.

Practice is mostly a myth used to explain distribution patterns.