How's the life after getting you bachelor in literature going Veeky Forums?

How's the life after getting you bachelor in literature going Veeky Forums?

Do you regret getting your lit degree?

Other urls found in this thread:

earlyretirementextreme.com/
mrmoneymustache.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I dropped out desu.

I don't regret it, academia is a meme at this point.

I'm working on finding a topic for my bachelor's thesis which I'm going to write in a month and i'm already terrified of being homeless. Thank goodness my girlfriend has job prospects. I'm probably going to apply at my local library, bookstore or become a stay at home dad.

Why did you have to ask?

why not get some technical writing job, or translation or working as editor or advertising?

Trust fund kids DGAF about the marketability of degrees.

I would love to work as an editor or do advertising, but every employer expects you to already have had some sort of experience in the field, which you dont get because you need experience to be allowed to gather experience.

I applied for an internship at a place that organizes literary events and the qt tried to explain to me that literally most of my work would be printing and cutting posters. Two weeks later I get an email saying i didnt get the internship, reason being: Im not well versed enough. What the fuck does that even mean?

I studied Spanish for a while but dropped out.

you need social skills fucktard.

didn't you had some intership at your college?

I found that if I turn things I love into obligations they are ruined for me, so I chose to not work and keep them unsullied.

STEM degree here, lmao at you 'career' hobbyists.

>you need social skills
I'm working on it. I do think I have more than the regular 4chaner.

>didn't you had some intership at your college?
No, there were only offers in select seminars with only 1 or 2 people being taken.

you should have worked hard to get at least your last year of college to have some job experience, maybe sucking some professor dick.

you fucked up.

I guess I better apply for welfare and just wait out the remaining 50/60 years of my life.

why not learn island gook and try to translate weeb games for a living?

Not any better or worse than before.

I know I fucked up and want to unfuck my life. I just need to finish this thing and get my degree so I can start a new chapter in my life. In only in my early 20s. My cousin studied into his 30s and changed his major like 5 times and he still got a job.

I regret not getting a Veeky Forums degree. Now I work in accounting and want to kill myself. I'd so much rather be in a PhD program right now, trying to publish, reading, teaching, trying to get a professorship. This life I now lead is crushing my soul.

dude, you studied a fucking major and don't have a clue over all the range of jobs you can do with it?

my goal is to write some novels or become a translator or technical writer and maybe learn japanese and work as translator of weeb shit, maybe work in some indie studio as writer.

That wont make him any money. Too many jews who shit out badly translated eroge that they can just sell on steam to retards.

Dropped out the year before graduating, never looked back. I was that kiss-ass who’d always talk/walk with professors after lectures, visit them during office hours, get coffee, talking about authors, movies, music, at the library all hours up and down the stacks. I worked as the editor for one of the student-run literary magazines for two years. I couldn’t network for shit but for some reason people always wanted to talk to me and I was always looking for contributions outside of the staff’s circle jerk. Only thing I regret is not banging the cute girl writing her thesis on Mark Twain because I was still loyal to my bitch of an ex.

you do realize japanese companies still hire professional translators, not just a bunch of amateurs?

and you do realize to translate they hire native speakers?

Its a complicated and stupid story, but the reason I decided to get an english degree was because I am literally retarded (mental disability). When I was 15 I thought I was going to kill myself and had nothing to live for, so in order to turn my life around I picked this goal to work towards and finally "achieve" something.

When I finished high school my mother literally told me that she didnt think I was capable of doing it. I even got a driver's license, which I never thought possible. I am close to getting a B.A. in english, my life's dream. This is supposed to be my success story.

But now I'm realizing that I've wasted my life by not doing something more useful. Even though I've overcome my illness and fight every day for people to see me as a normal person, all this makes me now is a loser. It feels like I climbed the Mount Everest, only to realize that I punched a huge fuck-me hole into my resume. I reached my life's goal at 24, and now Im a failure.

you sound like the perfect low IQ retard to succeed doing some trade or blue collar job.

academia is for high IQ people.
you can still be a sucessfull blue collar worker doing some carpentry or cabinet making or electricity making 50-60k as a welder.

you're not really dumb, you're trying to do something that is outside your brain capabilities (IQ).

>not living alone in a minimalist fashion on the money you bring at that job
Being tied to one person is a joke

>you should have worked hard to get at least your last year of college to have some job experience,
You are aware they don't just hand out internships to everyone, yes?

>being good friends with your classmates and professors and TA is too hard for the average retard on Veeky Forums

I was literally top of my class and had my professors talking to their old colleagues for me handing out my resume and never got an internship. "No open internship spots, sorry."

I’ve been to uni in over a year. I’m half a credit (one course) away from graduating with a BA in English. I don’t know when I am going to finish. I have to somehow schedule it around my full time job or quit and do something part-time.

*shrugs*

then your school was a nigger comunity college scam, retard.

Don't regret it at all even though I am streaming through Indeed and keep seeing...
>Business related degree
>Science related degree
or
>3 years experience entry level

I think I'm going to go into the trades or something but I'll probably be poor my whole life. My retirement plan is to buy a one-way ticket to Ireland.

Mid-level state school my friend.

then you live in the middle of a redneck state faggot.

any major city has jobs for literature people.

>brain capabilities
>IQ
Nice meme.

>academia is for high IQ people.
sure seems like it cuz I'm getting battered here in Creative Writing

I’m an English teacher is pretty fun desu

Go into sales, I did it straight out of uni with a 2:1 in Lit from a top uni and was on £35k a year for 40 hours work

>Go into sales
Thank you, but what exactly does this mean? Do I just apply for a job as a salesman or what?

Any translation studies bachelors here?

IQ is a meme?

Joint the national guard. At least pay back student loans

It’s just something brainlets say to reassure themselves. Don’t worry about it.

where do you work now?

About the same, I don't regret it, but think that college for the most part is a meme.

It means you need to spend more time here. We will verse you good desu, so good that you'll not only be well versed but beyond versed.

poor bait

Declared my English lit major today, applying for honours program. Let’s hope I’m not making the wrong choice.
Is a creative writing minor/double major worth it if I want to write? Will it taint my work with the stain of academia or is it possible to maintain some artistic integrity? I’m in intro to poetry and intro to fiction and the TAs seem like half wits for the most part. I should also add that given the time, I write pretty consistently.
Pic related is a recent faculty member, he allegedly[/spoiller] sexually harassed multiple students.

I have a philosophy degree. I don't regret it one bit. I have an ok job (in tech) but I hate it. I want to make art.

How'd you get that job?

Same
Not him, but personally I double majored in CS

is it really? and if you don't mind me asking how much do you actually get payed?

I got a job in consulting, then took a shitty job at Amazon and traded to incrementally better jobs until I landed my current shitty job.

Not looking forward to finishing uni. There's no way I can function in the real world and will undoubtedly become a NEET.

I'll be done this summer. I'm reading Ulysses as part of a capstone course. It's going pretty well so far. No idea what I'm doing after that.

>wanted to major in something I was passionate about like art (graphic design, architecture, etc) or English (lit, classics, journalism, etc)
>got forced into le STEM
>now struggling through a shitty CS degree with a subpar gpa and will most likely graduate 2 years late
Fug. I wish I majored in literature, don't even give a fuck about jobs. I'd rather make 15k a year while living in a closet writing articles for cracked then make 100k doing some retarded ass Silicon Valley shit.

I just signed a lease for a 3 bedroom apartment near Tokyo for $350/month. Add a zero onto that and that's what I'd be paying for a place back "home." Every time I go put I get catcalled by Japanese women. Life is treating me pretty well.

If you're retarded just apply for welfare and write freelance pieces for buzzfeed

>degree in a dead field
Lmao

T. Hierarchical Lobstorion Thinker

Dropped out of lit after 1 semester to do science
Now doing phd in botany
Want to go back

What an appropriate thread to appear tonight.

I'm two years into an engineering degree. My grades average around the low 70s, mostly because I find maths and sciences impossibly boring at this point in my life. I cannot pay attention in any of my classes no matter how hard I try. I just find it so incredibly uninteresting.

I talked to my parents about this disinterest, and about my depression and my drug use and a variety of other topics on my birthday last Sunday. Next year I am going to switch into a Bachelor of Arts in an effort to get into law school. I know I can write well, do thorough research, and form cohesive and well thought out arguments. I'm hoping that my classes will be cesspits of retards so that my papers look relatively strong next to theirs. If I can hold a 3.6 GPA through these next three years my dream of going to a prestigious law school will be within reach.

I think I made all the right choices so far...

I studied Natural Sciences at university -- it's not autistic and vocational enough to be considered true STEM, but not useless enough to be on the same level as Liberal Arts. It's also so broad you can get into any technical profession (medicine and engineering included) with it.

I then used my undergrad degree to get a business grad school and I now work in finance. I don't earn a lot at the moment, but in a couple of years (going by colleagues' salaries) I'll be on the same pay as a senior lawyer, without having had to spend another six years in practice.

All along my academic studies, I took classes in literature, creative writing, and generally anything available in the arts. I also did a ton of reading in private.

So to conclude, I took the easiest path to a high salary without having wasted years on something ridiculously boring like accounting, all the while ensuring I didn't become some dorky STEM pleb.

You people need to realise that schooling isn't education. You go to school to get a qualification, you education yourself to learn.

Do you find enjoyment and/or meaning in your work?

I can see myself getting bored in a few years, but because I'm still in the learning process, it's actually great for me. I did a little bit of economics but it's all very technical here: statistics, econometrics, derivatives... Plus I get to do a bit of programming.

Once it gets repetitive I will abandon ship, but even then, I can just move to another department.

got my STEM degree, currently working a entry level job with decent pay, doing writing on the side.

on paper shit's not that bad but I still wanna die tho lol

I did law instead. I wouldn't mind becoming a legal academic but I grew up fairly well off and I've become too attached to my standard of living to accept the wages.

I studied medicine and now am frustrated in the hospital, I don't want to do night and weekend shifts, I don't want to see people suffer and die.

I dream of having followed my initial idea that my uncle talked me out of of becoming a programmer. Not sure how that would have worked out but I probably would have better work life balance.

I feel you.

I never went to university nor got a degree.
I ended up working in a factory.

factory work>academia

I'm not sure how you got all the way to working at a hospital without knowing that there are plenty of options for doctors outside of treating patients.

You could also quite easily take some time off for a quick programming and statistics course and work in medical research.

But I have worked in medical research and there the working conditions are even worse, if in another way. Maybe I'd just also like to have all those crypto millions everyone on biz has...

Por qué?

his/econ major/minor here, pretty comfy
probably gonna grab an ancient languages certificate and an environmental humanities diploma while im here

earlyretirementextreme.com/
mrmoneymustache.com/

Make sure to retire as quickly as possible and do whatever you want afterwards.

Is a double major in mathematics and Literature possible?

Going to graduate high school soon. . . do I choose a comfortable, more fitting route of becoming a professor of literature or do I challenge myself and try to make it into mathematics' portion of academia?

Holding your self so low. If you were in my way I'd destroy you.

>Holding your self so low. If you were in my way I'd destroy you.

ufff that's awesome

You like Euclid? Nicomachus?

I don't know user I have general history degree

With your subpar GPA and graduating 2 years late you're getting neither 100k after school nor doing stuff in silicon valley...

Yes and yes.
Not sure if this is taunting, though

We had to work through Euclid's Elements in high school--would strongly recommend.

> “In the course of my law-reading I constantly came upon the word demonstrate,” Lincoln said. “I thought, at first, that I understood its meaning, but soon became satisfied that I did not.” Resolving to understand it better, he went to his father’s house and “staid there till I could give any propositions in the six books of Euclid at sight.”

I'm gonna bully every limp-wristed faggot I see at UBC now. You're gonna get meme'd, my friend.

>Spending 100k plus to try to be a writer
>you're future
>jobless
>teacher
>mountains of debt
>suicide
Get it over with now and kys

I want to major in Classics and Literature but I also don't want to starve.

Does my degree //really// matter?

Yeah, not taunting man. I fucking love Euclid.

Everyone references Euclid up until like one century ago. And he is still praised by mathematicians today.

I'm reading Nicomachus right now and he just referenced Euclid's book VII for a clarification of the definitions for even-times-even, even-times-odd, and odd-times-odd. Pythagoreanism is fascinating.

I'm most likely going to be reading Arithmetica by Diophantus at some point.

And yes I have heard that Lincoln studied Euclid intensively.

Great logicians in general should study the book, it just helps with thought processes tremendously.

Out of curiosity, what have you majored in and where are you now?

History fag here.
>job out of college with usda
>start off as a researcher
>write tons of dissertations on food code
> move up the ladder start helping to write the food code
> become part of group that puts input into how foodcode is written
>notice we listen to a ton of lobbyists
> notice lobbyists make a lot more $ than me
> become a lobbyist
> direct influence on us food code
Fucking general history degree who knew

Haha, Finance. I work a desk job. It's okay.

I don't read things because they have practicality. That's the way a soulless robot would treat life, I'm sure we agree?

It's just very interesting. Fascinating, even.

CS/Linguistics double major here. Finishing this year.
I think I never actually enjoyed uni and I now think both degrees are actually boring garbage. I'll have trouble getting a job too since I don't have any job experience with CS and no one hires linguistics majors in my country anyway.
I could get a job as a HS teacher(math or language) but getting disrespected by kids would probably drive to suicide.
I wasted my life, bros.

I did literally nothing and I still bagged a 2.1

I don't care about my student loans and I feel relaxed

Now I can do a teacher training course or a masters, and get more loans and bursarys

life is fine

that's the thing about BA's man, it's kinda applicable to a retarded amount of career pathways, rather than with other degrees being ded-seat on specific career pathways
His major here too, what was your specialization in history btw

Current collegefag here. I went to a seminar about choosing a major, and they told us that 90% of people work in jobs that don't require their majors after 6 years out of college. Not sure how accurate that is or how they came to that figure, but it's something.

On track to transfer and finish my degree in biochem in a couple years, and I'm considering double majoring in philosophy. Keeping up a ~3.6-3.7 GPA with some honor's societies. I was apprehensive about it for a long time, but I'm pretty confident I made the right choice with STEM.

Biology et. al is pretty comfy and I've been able to really enjoy the constant mental challenge and stimulation. It transformed my disdain for any kind of hard logic subjects like mathematics and chemistry into a real appreciation of their complexities and having something like an upper division calculus concept click for you is immeasurably more satisfying than having even something like Deleuze click for you.

Planning on either getting a relaxed outdoors or lab position with my degree that gives me ample free time to read or going to grad school for philosophy and using my biochem background for shit like deep ecology or neurophilosophy and falling back on my degree if it doesn't work out

Lol my major is in general his but I specialized more in sociology if that makes any sense. My area in his was early American but I was much better at soc than his

English and Creative Writing here.
I'm doing pretty well. I work for a well-respected RPO and make decent money, and I'm looking at a promotion soon, plus I'll be debt free by 2019, which isn't bad considering I finished school in 2016.
No regrets about my degree, I enjoyed going to school because I knew to research schools so I wouldn't be dealing with SJW horseshit. The job it helped get me into is pretty nice.

Recruiterfag here, it probably means you came into it without appearing to know enough about the company and/or the position.

You probably can't find work because you're dense and need to be spoonfed the most basic information even though you have internet access. If you google "how get sales job" you will get useful results.

I'd like to expose my misfortune as well, if you guys won't bother. I'm going through my first semester of the most expansive filmschool that my third world country offers at the moment and, so far, I've been slighly losing hopes each day. Not even worth mentioning the kind of people I have to work with and the tragic fact that each of those retards, including me, aspire for the same dream of becoming a director. The academic body depresses me with its "art-cinema" statements, when they are not skipping a whole class for some shitty Oscar film diacussion; the veterans I've met sound always as lost cases with their stupid projects (when they are not just some upper-class potheads) and the market possibilities (here) already look too limited. I guess I will continue struggling and doing my best, but I'm afraid this may not be enough.

You mean you can get into school to get into any profession with it, or basically work a bitch job in those professions not the "high salary" that you're talking about. NatSci is so unspecialized that you need to do graduate work to crack the $65,000 before you turn 50.