This is the winning poem of the annual Princemere Poetry Prize, earning its poet $400. Say something nice about it

This is the winning poem of the annual Princemere Poetry Prize, earning its poet $400. Say something nice about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Deborah-S.-Greenhut/e/B001KI5BAU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

pynchonesque

I said something nice.

Didn't bother reading but I am ANGRY about the state of modern literature and society in general

you'll fit right in

You know, at least it's not a fucking prose poem, and at least it has some Whitman-esque semblance of rhythm. I suppose it could have been worse. I'd hardly call it ideal, but it could have been worse.

It's very long, it has a lot of words

I like the balance of playful and somber. Good rhythm and sense of soundplay that's present but not overbearing. Not a fan of the heavy cross-lingual shit though, feels excessive and clumsy.

It's not terrible, but I'm wondering what the competition was, and what exactly made them choose this piece. It reads like some college student copying her favorite hits into a poem.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is the writer: amazon.com/Deborah-S.-Greenhut/e/B001KI5BAU

yeah I can't be mad about this, the person is at least trying

can anyone else not stand enjambment

Quality posts

The author attempted to create a sense of flow and rhythm without constricting herself to strict verse or metre, allowing more variation and creative flow while still feeling somewhat like a poem instead of stilted prose.
You know, the point of free verse.
I still don't like it, but there.

Are you stuck in the 18th Century or something?

What's that supposed to mean?

Nah, I kinda like the lack of structure in that regard. A little too chaotic for you, or what is it you don't like?

the words sound nice when put together in that order

like irregularly cut cheese

It seems to me like a lot of poets, including this one, only enjamb lines when they think 'oh shit, this line is going to be too long and clunky, I better split it in the middle of a thought' rather than putting any thought into the way the rhythm of the poem feels due to the enjambment.

Just getting a big vibe of reluctance and hesitation towards free verse, something that's been commonplace for almost two centuries, and the norm for almost a century now.

Did you read the post you originally replied to?

did you?

Yes, did you?

No, you win.

can anyone else not stand counterpoint

did i?

No. Free verse can be good but way too often its an excuse for just not being any good as a poet, and while there have been just as many hacks who wrote in verse and rhyme, at least you can criticise them without "no you just don't understand it man get with the times poetry doesn't have to be good now".
If metre isn't important anymore in poetry just because the earth spun a few extra times then what exactly is? Writing out a bunch of muh feelings and enjambing it doesn't make it poetry, hence me actually using what was probably an attempt at a bait thread to praise a contemporary poet for actually doing something worthwhile with free verse, even if I don't actually like it.

what don't you like about it

this. line breaks are supposed to something like the bar marks in a musical score. it's explicit in sonnets and so on but the same principle carries over into free verse. that doesn't mean the lines have to be of the same metrical length, but they should be marking the beats of the poem. good free verse is not just prose cut up to look like a poem and if you read enough the difference is pretty obvious.

It's shit

I can understand that, I like ones she implemented, with the exception of the one that transitions between the 6th and 7th stanza. (Your lyrics chatter). That definitely sounds in line with your complaints.

>If metre isn't important anymore in poetry just because the earth spun a few extra times then what exactly is?
Poems can have a sense of rhythm without being tied to strict meter, just like they can have phonaesthetics without being tied to strict rhyme schemes

And way too many free verse poems have neither, which is why when asked to make a positive comment about the poem I pointed out that it managed that even though I didn't much enjoy the poem itself.