Are there any books about being a moronic intellectual...

Are there any books about being a moronic intellectual? Keep in mind I don't mean a pseud; someone attempting to maintain a pretense of intellectualism purely for show. I mean a character who is thoroughly unpretentious, has a genuine passion for intellectual pursuits and is yet entirely incompetent at properly engaging with them.

his autobiography

Pnin by Nabokov is 100% this and its hilarious

No, because pretension and passion go hand in hand. You cannot be so afraid of overstepping the lines of bourgeois restraint if you have any interest in the intellect.

Pretension is not bad, cast that meme aside and be free. The charge of pretension is cheap arrogance and the envy of tiny minds.

Absolutely there is! The Adrian Mole diary series. Author Sue Townsend. Follows a pleb British pseud from age 13 to his 40s. He desperately wants to be an intellectual but he's comically bad at it; one time he's painting his bedroom he compares the work to "Rembrandt painting the Sistine Chapel in Venice."

>No, because pretension and passion go hand in hand.

When it comes to pseuds that is literally a contradiction of terms. You can not be authentically passionate and also a pseud

Got anything that isn't merely amusing? That second example doesn't even sound like a good read.

Pale Fire also very much qualifies and its a far more serious work

Hmm, So is this how Nabby ultimately saw himself? I've seen Nabokov described this way on this board. Like a brainlet with good prose.

He flew through radical extremes of self deprecation and egotism as any true patrician should

>I don't mean a pseud; someone attempting to maintain a pretense of intellectualism purely for show.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. What do you think a pseud is?

>hilarious
>muh bowl
one of the driest "comedies" ever written, such a tribute to doldrum that it cannot help but send its audience to the land of nod. avoid at all costs.

>'The funniest book of the year' - Daily Mail

Then your pseud is a strawman. You are delusional if you think such dispassionate people exist.

Oh sorry, what do you consider to be a funny book?

What is this?

>You are delusional if you think such dispassionate people exist.

This is so ludicrous I can only think you're one of them. Most people lack any real passion

BBC

There is no funny literature, though there is a slight humor in Gargantua & Pantagruel. Otherwise, none.

I knew you'd take the easy way out

my diary desu

>the easy way out
I gave you a genuinely humorous example, you faggot. For the most part, however, literature lacks much humor. Timing being an essential aspect, it is difficult to portray universally. Some great attempts are Tristram Shandy, Pickwick Papers, Don Quixote; some lesser attempts would be Pnin, Hitchhiker's Guide, Catch-22, Confederacy of Dunces.

One that escaped my memory as being more humorous than others, though still lacking as a format for comedy, was Three Men in a Boat.

Lolita is top tier comedy, it's basically an extended shitpost actually

>quote provides definition for a pseud
>what do you think a pseud is

Are there any examples of characters in lit/film/whatever like this?

He thinks a pseud is "someone attempting to maintain a pretense of intellectualism purely for show"

I disagree entirely. Its just a matter of how you're viewing humor. Yeah you're not going to be laughing out loud like you're watching Dave Chapelle but a quiet wit means a lot more than you're giving credit

you are entitled to disagree.

Compelled man, compelled

blood meridian was great for unintentional? humour

what do you want me to say? if it's a matter of perspective, there's no chance of me convincing you of something that you don't already choose to see. I see what you call wit as a lesser form of humor, and what I call humor is a lesser form of comedy. It all hinges on a central disagreement on the efficacy of these books to create a specific reaction from the audience. In my estimation, they fail to reach the same conclusions as audiovisual formats.

>every trad cat on Veeky Forums

Which is a totally backwards reading, projecting the aims of one medium and format onto another. You weigh humor not in terms of elucidation of truth, a spark of personality and instead in how it can render one a howling nigger.

Yes, that's a sufficient example of your patience and mental wellbeing. I won't be continuing this discussion with you, as there was nothing to gain to begin with, and there most certainly is plenty to lose by continuing.

Yeah skip off nigger

oooh drat, I sure am fuming.
You mistake my reasoning for disregarding your last post. I am referring more to the definition you offer for humor "elucidation of truth, a spark of personality", rather than your comment on niggers. Your haste to respond instead of thinking made you commit such a blunder that I doubt your mental health and patience. Instead of attempting to understand the aspects of comedy, something that could have been discussed at length, you resorted to a plebeian offering that could have been succinctly bested by a mere child of ten.

I was talking about a purpose of humor not a "definition". I don't know what humor is but I do know that unlike other types of communication it does have a kind of "undeniability" in its effect. Maybe not always in any clear fashion but I don't think its possible to find anything funny without at the same time accepting a certain truth.

Then explain to me, for example, how that undeniability meshes with something like slapstick. I would propose a slightly different way to express what humor might be. The unexpected. I do think you are on a good path with truth, though I don't think it is the truth but rather the revelation of the unexpected coupled with its timing that is of most important. Secondarily, I do think that indescribable body language and tone change are important to comedic expressions, which is incredibly difficult to portray in writing, an eyebrow wiggle, or a change in voice, can make an incredibly dull or otherwise unassuming comment hilarious. I think the complexity of revelation and its timing is a key point to comedy at large. Truth is often coupled with humor, but I don't deem it entirely necessary.

The Borges short story Averroes's Search is sort of like that, but it's not incompetence that is the obstacle...

I have seen Chaplin skits involving kicking policemen when they're not looking and so on as being humorous at the time for revealing the secret human identity of these figures and so on. Its a cheap reading though I know. There is perhaps somethings very immanent and primal about humor that it may by its nature be outside the scope of language to describe. The joke may be on language itself as it were.

The biography of Hegel.

>Hegel, installed from above, by the powers that be, as the certified Great Philosopher, was a flat-headed, insipid, nauseating, illiterate charlatan who reached the pinnacle of audacity in scribbling together and dishing up the craziest mystifying nonsense. This nonsense has been noisily proclaimed as immortal wisdom by mercenary followers and readily accepted as such by all fools, who thus joined into as perfect a chorus of admiration as had ever been heard before. The extensive field of spiritual influence with which Hegel was furnished by those in power has enabled him to achieve the intellectual corruption of an whole generation.

It is a mystery how a small man managed to contain so much salt

i was going to say ignatius j reilly but he is thoroughly and blatantly pretentious

he was right.

Candide

I've become increasingly stupid from years of internet us and doing fuck all. It hurts man.

Which program?

this is true