Could this work to express the nuance of uncertainty or awkwardness within a sentence?

Could this work to express the nuance of uncertainty or awkwardness within a sentence?

I give you the intercolon.

hmm I like your thinking. but I'd need to see more exambles desu

Yea sure...the idea is half baked, I admit, me not being a Grammer Nazi. I just think that awkwardness can be missed In a sentence if someone verbally expresses it.

Say you hang out with someone and you like them. You had a good time, but this other person, not so much. You run into them a couple of days later and the first thing out of their mouth is 'i really had a good time the other night, let's do this some other time'. Now when you hear it, they say it in way that intones awkwardness, questioning whether they had fun.

Written down , we might miss the awkward element; the expressor might not really be beating around the bush that they had a crappy time but doesn't want do this anymore...they just don't want to hurt feelings.

So the meaning of the simple sentence as written is called into question, weakening the sentence itself. The assurity of the period is diminished, and using a question mark may misenterpret how the sentence is expressed. Using a comma/colon/semicolon merely separates parts of the sentence, but doesn't convey a tone/meaning.

Inserting the intercolon (expressed here as '?,') would convey this nuance :

'I really had a good time the other night?, let's do this some other time'.

My initial thought was this could act like a semicolon within a sentence, but perhaps it could be a standalone punctuation.

I think you put forward the idea very clearly and I understand what you want it to cover, I believe. I might need to see other examples besides being a pussy about not wanting to hurt someone's feelings. To be honest, and I might just be slightly mysognistic, but your example taints the intercolon idea with it existing solely to convey that special kind of meek woman characteristic that's about being too insecure or too stupid to say what you mean. I push back against the idea because of this, but I don't think that it matters much. What does matter is that it needs to be applied to other instances besides this cowardly woman thing.

Ok, substitute the woman for a guy, lol.

Here's a possible application.

You have to train a voice announcer to read the following text:

Bipartisan members of the Senate Intelligence Committee have concluded that House Republicans leaked private text messages to Fox News.

The trainee might have a habit up-pitching a word, especially if they're unfamiliar with it.

The intercolon (?,) Would be inserted to show this, and help the trainee to identify where they are sounding inconsistent:

Bipartisan members of the Senate Intelligence Committee ?, have concluded that House Republicans leaked private text messages to Fox News.

This could also apply to telephone fundraising/customer service/sales.

I only mean the first example seems meekish and womanly, regardless of who actually said it. But yeah.

I definitely see it's broader application now, however. I've used questionmarks in place where an intercolon may have fit. I can kind of imagine where you would affect the use of syntax and grammar through literature, but I can't even begin to conceive how you might affect punctuation this late into the game. How can two anons do it, dude?!

Well it seems to be a natural occurance when you combine the question mark and comma. Perhaps the intercolon is inevitable.

Maybe we should take this to adv/.

I do not know what they could tell you, but that might be just reason to do it anyway.

before you go: did you create the OP graphic? the style is very cool, I like it a lot.

Can't trust that picture. The period is outside the quote

>the example of advanced punctuation put the period outside of the quotation marks

thx yes, I did this. Also ty user fr your input.

Gimme an example where the question mark couldn't do as good

I don't know if I can ?,

That was the example.

The entercolon i like the sound of it

That's INTERcolon?, yes I agree sounds great!

what's this piece about

I'm not sure if it can?, maybe it can...

who am I to say what is and isn't a disability?, I just don't think synesthesia is what really holds you back.

The title is a translation of 'lying louche'?, and the rest is just a random convocation. I've used the character in sketches before.

That works

That is the British style; This CAN change English.

See this :