How does Veeky Forums feel about Kipling

How does Veeky Forums feel about Kipling

Kipling would have fought for Rhodesia

And?

"If" is insufferable.

You're either stupid or 12

and what? you asked how I feel about Kipling and I told you.

Some of it is fairly trite, but I've always very much taken solace in:
>Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
>And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools

His prose based around India is still fantastic, most of the works set in Britain haven't aged quite so well

I don't know; I've never kippled

i love kipling. i've been to his house, batemans (pic related), several times. it's about an hour's drive from where i live. i love being in his study there and in the gardens where he came up with the idea of puck of pook's hill and so on.

and he makes exceedingly good cakes

As a short story writer, underrated; as a poet, tedious.

No, it's just overly popular

'If' is one of my all time favourite poems.

Go kill yourself and then fuck yourself.

I travel to India frequently for work, and Kipling is still very highly regarded there. They seem to take him on his literary merits rather than get worked up about the political context etc.
I think in the West we are so mired in Post Structuralist criticism it's impossible for us to judge a text divorced of the political/racial narrative we have assigned to it.

(Englishman here) I remember a few years back the BBC sponsored a huge poll to find the "Nation's Favourite 100 Poems", publishing the results as a book.

In first place by a large margin was Kipling's "If". This undoubtedly caused the filthy crypto-Marxist miscreants in charge of the enterprise to turn purple with rage and frustration, and they gave a typically snide little comment in the description accompanying the poem.
When the Day of the Rope finally arrives, I will be first at the head of a long, long queue to kick the box away from under these venomous creeps.

Not gonna lie, I'm jealous

I thought he looked like a mixture of Connery and Caine, not like Groucho Marx

>le day of le toppe
cringe

Kim is England's answer to Huckleberry Finn, if not the best adventure novel in English. He's a remarkably clean writer, the long stories, essays, and prose poem The City of Dreadful Night are all excellent imo..

One of the very few poems that I prefer translated in French.

Interesting. I need to learn more about post structuralism

City of Dreadful Night was by James Thompson

Right, user. And 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' is a line from a Donne sermon, but also a novel by Hemingway. Kipling just filched the title for a long short story that reads like a prose-poem (1885).

Whoops, my bad. I read the Thompson poem a few years ago and assumed that was what you were talking about.

The educated classes in India love Kipling, but its the educated classes in England that hate him.

t. pajeed born in the UK

God of our fathers, known of old,
Lord of our far-flung battle line,
Beneath whose awful hand we hold
Dominion over palm and pine—
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget—lest we forget!

The tumult and the shouting dies;
The Captains and the Kings depart:
Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice,
An humble and a contrite heart.

Far-called our navies melt away;
On dune and headland sinks the fire:
Lo, all our pomp of yesterday
Is one with Nineveh and Tyre!
Judge of the Nations, spare us yet,

If, drunk with sight of power, we loose
Wild tongues that have not Thee in awe,
Such boastings as the Gentiles use,
Or lesser breeds without the Law—

For heathen heart that puts her trust
In reeking tube and iron shard,
All valiant dust that builds on dust,
And guarding calls not Thee to guard,
For frantic boast and foolish word-
Thy Mercy on Thy People, Lord!

That's awesome. I wish I was English

mate, I need a kiplings bakewell tart and apple pie now. I don't care if they're sickly sweet

Kipling is first-class and can do almost everything. ("Cities and Thrones and Powers" or "The Way Through The Woods" show he doesn't have to be brash and brusque. "The Mary Gloster" and "MacAndrew's Hymn" are dramatic monologues as good as anything Browning did.)
He has just one major flaw that I can think of - he doesn't seem to have (or at least, doesn't seem able to express) any sincere romantic regard for women. That's like having no sense of humour - it's a pretty big omission, which gradually matters more and more, the longer you read him.

i like a french fancy meself
even though i suspect they are a bit gay

I actually have a really nice cheap copy of the Thompson poem (Dover Books) with Blake's illustrations FWIW.

Geez. Now I'm wrong. I just checked this out and it's actually Young's Night Thoughts. Oh, well!