Is it usefull to read medicine books without any prior knowledge of medicine...

Is it usefull to read medicine books without any prior knowledge of medicine? Can you learn anything from them without going to college or working in the field? Modern medicine is way more advanced than in olden times, but back in the day people read medicine books and seemed to learn something from them. Does this still apply in modern day scenario? I ask this because I have some very T H I C C books about medicine and anatomy that I found in the trash and I decided to keep them, but never had the will to read it. Will I waste my time reading them? Should I go to college to realy know something about medicine?

Other urls found in this thread:

histology.medicine.umich.edu/full-slide-list
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Waste of time beyond the basics of anatomy. Science moves to faste foreward. If they have been thrown into the trash, its most likely due to them beeing most likely very much out of date. It will also be useless to you as you can't work on their basis, lack the praxis and don't have related subject to actually know what you are doing.

Before the last century there was no real medicine. People bakc then have known shit and mostly made it worse. Praying was healthier than going to a "Physician" at that time.

Depends on how specialized they are, you probably will not be able to comprehend a specialized one.

OP here
>If they have been thrown into the trash, its most likely due to them beeing most likely very much out of date.
My mother said the same when I told her about the books (she is a medic).
>It will also be useless to you as you can't work on their basis, lack the praxis and don't have related subject to actually know what you are doing.
>Before the last century there was no real medicine. People bakc then have known shit and mostly made it worse. Praying was healthier than going to a "Physician" at that time.

Yeah, I guess soo. It's just that they look cool and I sometimes have the feeling that I could read a little to idk, maybe learn something from them. I also taught that reading those books I could have some inspiration to create some fictional scenario with pseudoscience.
Maybe I should keep them just because they look cool in the shelfs...
And feels patrician having medicine books on your library, even tho they may be useless in modern day.

OP here
Makes sense. The narrower the subject, the harder it gets. I don't know exactly what they are about. I know one of them is actualy about a study of the cells and others are more about anotomy and diseases. The realy big one I have no idea.
I also have one here about physics in medicine. Seeing I am horrible at math/physics and know even less about medicine, I guess I wont be reading them in the near future... Or in this life...

Hello, OP here.
So, I took the medicine books and I checked their subject. Here they are:

1 - Patholigic Basis of Disease - Stanley L. Robbins
This is the biggest I have, and althoughy I get it has somehting to do with diseases, I don't know if I could get the book.

2 - Medicina Básica (Propedêutica e Fisiopatologia) - FortunatoGabriel Gionnoni
I should have said earlier, but all these medicine books are in portuguese (like the one I just mentioned. The name could be translated into 'Basic Medicine (Propaedeutics and Pathophysiology), the names I say in english is because I find that I own translations to my langue.) Seeing this one says "basic" could I learn something? Even if means learning when the disease ended being a common flu?

3. Histologia Básica - Junqueira & Carneiro
Also could be translated to 'Basic Histology'. This has to do with the study of microscopic anatomy. Worth a try? I actualy just now learned that I own two copys of the same book, just that one is the 4° edition and the other the 6°.

4. Structure of the Human Body - Gardner & Osburn
Seens like a big anatomy book from what I get.

5. Física para Ciências Biológicas e Biomédicas - Emico Okuno & Iberê L. Caldas & Cecil Chow
It can be translated into 'Physics for Biological and Biomedic sciences'. Like I said, I suck at physics. I don't think I will get this book at all.

So, any of those that I could learn something usefull or should I just keep them for the patrician feeling?

>Maybe I should keep them just because they look cool in the shelfs...
>And feels patrician having medicine books on your library, even tho they may be useless in modern day.
It's worse than not having any books at all. You're trying to larp as something you're not.

I ain't trying to LARP. It's just that I get a funny feeling having medicine books in my library. It feels like the earlier schoolars that had medicine books, philosophy, theology, etc.

>I keep books I can't read or understand in my shelves because it feels patrician
>I ain't larping
You have to pick one.

Hi Med student here. In Med school we hardly actually read the books - we often use student notes which have been compiled by some legend in the previous year which combines the lectures and the notes.

For anatomy: you can look at the atlases (netters/theime/sobatta) and also there are alot of videos online for the regions

For physiology (how the body works): i used student notes mainly alongside some youtube vids by guys like (armundo)

For Biochem: Moof university on youtube is amazing to learn

For Pathology: there are a video series and a book called Pathoma (by Hussain Sittar - american pathologist) - it is amazing and a must use source for the USMLE

For microbiology and pharmacology: you can use a video source called Sketchy Micro/Pharma (they draw pictures for each microbe/or drug and leave lots of memory hooks - it's amazing)

i think that pretty much covers the basic sciences.

What books? Up to date thicc medical books are usually worth hundreds. Anyway yea I'd hold on to them, study them, and become a surgeon after the economic collapse.

1. Robbins - is a cancer book man, i was readin it for my patho final and it really hurts (use Pathoma)

2. idk this but it is pathophysiology which you will cover in pathology anyway - it's a bullshit subject

3. don't learn histo (this was our uni recommended book - there is a ross book which is better, but we had student notes and access to the microscopes - you can use histology.medicine.umich.edu/full-slide-list
or other online microscopes)

3. for anatomy just use an atlas (like netters - they are great)

I forgot to mention that before you move onto Pathology/micro/pharma you should do anatomy/physiology/biochem otherwise you won't fully understand the disease processes and mechanism of action for the drugs

Actualy, keeping something because it makes you feel a certain way dosen't mean larp. It would be larping if I actively was seeking such thing, I ain't doing such thing.
It feels patrician because, like I said, they had librarys all subjects back in the day (even tho many of those are now know to don't realy work), and I feel this funny comfy feeling knowing that I have books from such a different field of the ones I usualy have (I usualy go for the humanitys and literature in general). I can't help it, I just like the idea of having a somewhat diverse library in the old schoolars sense.
Maybe is because I am such a sucker for the old ones, but still... Feels so cool.
Besides, like I said, I wrote giving details of what books I own here and could learn something from. I am up to reading such materials, even if it is for some novelty in reading such stuff.

Oh, you are so kind user. Thank you very much. Although I think I way to dumb to actualy seek turn into a med student such as yourself, I appreciate your comments. I think it won't hurt to read and watch some stuff about the subject, so I may look foward for it.

Sooo... Are you basicaly saying I should do like in 'A Canticle for Leibowitz'?

Thank you for the tips! And thanks for the link too. You are also too kind user.

You all are too kind for a brainlet like me, thank's very much user's.

if you are actually interested in it (although i have to say user it won't be of use in life and it really isn't enjoyable to study medicine) - but if you are it isn't very hard.

People often mistake us for being smart because we are med students - as a med student you just have to sit for hours and memorise. there is no difficult concepts to understand though, it's pure memorization. Good luck man

You sound pathetic. The fact that you post anime makes all your retarded points irrelevant beyond repair. You are adorning yourself with things which make you seem "I N T E L E C T U A L" and in love with the olden times while prolly just to much of a poor fuck to actually buy books which would represent your true self.

SAD.

I probably won't follow any medical path, but I am very thankfull for all the tips and commentarys I got. I have this books for more then a year now and only today it crossed my mind to ask Veeky Forums about it. I a glad I had all these responses. I also can share the feel of people thinking you are super smart because you are studing a more classical subject in the academic world (I have 2 years of studing law and I can tell the difference of people's reaction when I said to them I was studing law them to the reaction they do when I say I am studing history currently) but still, I gave much respect to the people from more mathematical fields like medicine and so on. I hate math, I realy do, I wished I didn't hated as much and was better at but still, I can't help it sometimes, even tho math is such a basic knowledge.
I hope you do well on your med school user, good luck to you too.

>The fact that you post anime makes all your retarded points irrelevant beyond repair.
> "I N T E L E C T U A L" and in love with the olden times while prolly just to much of a poor fuck to actually buy books which would represent your true self.
That's why I have these med books... SO I CAN FIX MYSELF. Soon I will be able to have the brain I wish...
And then I shall finaly be able to turn of the light switch...

>Sooo... Are you basicaly saying I should do like in 'A Canticle for Leibowitz'?
HUH! I've never read it, but it looks exactly like something I'd enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation user, you're not as much of a brainlet as you think.

I never read it myself either, it's just a book with flys around Veeky Forums from time-to-time and I even got recommended once.
I read the description about the plot on the wiki, and seeing the story is about monks, and usualy the monks were the ones who hold the intelectual abilitys of medieval times (including medicine), I thaught that by default, 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' probably would follow the same logic (because, you know... Monks from the future, holding knowledge and stuff. I bet there must be a physician in the middle of them)

Anyone can learn basic anatomy, since you (presumably) don't have access to corpses you should download a 3D atlas to properly visualize how it all connects, you won't really 'get it' until you see it.
Histology as long as you know your basic Bio Chem you're gonna be fine.
The real question is, why? You won't get to the level of having proper medical knowledge without real training, at most you'll just fill your head with a lot of medical trivia you can't apply except to impress brainlets (except anatomy).
t. medschool dropout