Who here read In Search of Lost Time? Thoughts?

Who here read In Search of Lost Time? Thoughts?

Its pretty good.

Read Lydia Davis' translation:
Sentences are too long (but enjoyable)
Nice read but will probably have to read again as I've only just finished high school

I read the Moncrieff translation and I loved it. It was one of the best things I've ever read. You should certainly read it in your lifetime.

>7 volumes
>4,215 pages
no way anyone here has read the whole thing

I have unironically read every last page of it, didn't skip anything

You can read it in a month if you dedicate some time everyday to it. I read the first 300 in a day

I () have only read Swann's Way

Impressive, was it worth it? I honestly know very little about it, are the separate volumes like story arcs and do they stand on their own?

Heh, kid.

How much time did it take you to read 300 pages?

probably in 6 hours
average reading speed here is 40-50 pages an hour

Its all one novel, don't think of the volumes as being separated for anything but the practical difficulties of binding 4,000 pages. Its definitely a masterpiece: Proust's prose is beautiful, in either English or French, and the psychology of his characters is brilliant. For me personally it was worth it, but I understand why some people hate it. It really is bloated in a way that is almost unforgivable, and there are party scenes that will go on for over a hundred pages, which is far too long when the whole purpose of most of them is basically to show you just how ridiculous and annoying the aristocratic fools are.

What did you make of Time Regained's conclusion? Everyone seems to think its breathtaking but I found the actual philosophical ideas of it slightly disappointing.

>being this much of a fucking pussy

cut your dick off you dont deserve it

not him, nice
which translation are you reading?

Just finished it a few days ago for my master's program.

>Everyone seems to think its breathtaking but I found the actual philosophical ideas of it slightly disappointing.

Same, I think people latch onto the last 3 books because there's a lot more active conflict.

Penguin is doing a less literal translation set to release some time this year, I imagine some of the weird syntax turns will be smoothed out.

Thank God he did. I hate that people would look at this and conclude anything at all when in fact just reading ISOLT is proof enough that Proust is a legend.

Proust is a mediocre writer. You're just nineteen and dumb and required to justify your an enormous expense of time. No judge though, I've been there.

does guy ever make a meta joke about the time spend by the reader on the book?

>Proust is a mediocre writer
U wot

>Proust is a mediocre writer
pleb detected

This is a retard that posts this picturein every Proust thread. It has been explained to him a fuckton of times that "Swann's way" is only the first part of ISOLT and that even if he paid for a couple of reviews that doesn't mean absolutely anything since pretty much every critic since when he released his work has been praising him, but yet he keeps posting it. He's probably a paid shill.

ok. ok. wow. just. ok. here are the true rankings, and I would go as far as saying that the rest of fiction as a whole is a waste of time, and you're better off reading poetry or watching TV instead of reading authors who are not in this list

SUPREME MASTER GOD TIER: THE MASTER OF ALL IN THE KINGDOM OF GREAT WRITERS IN HUMAN HISTORY, AT THE TOP OF THE HIGHEST TOWER, MASTURBATING 10-15 TIMES PER DAY, AS THE HAND WITH WHICH HE WRITES ARTISTIC MASTERPIECES IS MORE SEXUALLY APPEALING THAN ANY ADONIS THE GODS CAN CONJURE
>Proust

VICE-SUPREME MASTER GOD TIER: THE ONLY WRITER DESERVING TO BE IN SAME ROOM AS THE SUPREME MASTER GOD
>Joyce

GOD TIER: OCCUPYING THE MARBLE CASTLE WITH THE SUPREME AND VICE SUPREME MASTER GOD
>Tolstoy
>Homer
>Dante
>Dostoevsky
>Shakespeare

ANGELIC DEMON TIER: PATROLLING THE CASTLE WALLS OF THE GOD TIERS AND ABOVE, AND DOING THEIR BIDDING ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, CAPTURING AND PILLAGING ENTIRE PLANETS TO TO INTO PLANET-SIZED "THE MATRIX"-TYPE BODY HARVESTING FARMS, BUT THEY HARVEST HUMAN FARTS INSTEAD OF ELECTRICITY, PACKED IN DIAMOND JARS, FOR THE FART-LOVING PROUST AND JOYCE TO HOLD UP TO THEIR NOSES AND SHIFT THEIR NOSES LEFT AND RIGHT ALONG THE RIM OF THE JAR LIKE SNIFFING A FINE WINE, THEN TAKING A HUMONGOUS INHALE AND ACHIEVING UNFATHOMABLE ORGASM, "AH, A 2017 RUSSIAN LUMBERJACK FART, GOOD YEAR" THEY SAY, NODDING THEIR HEADS AT THE ANGELIC DEMONS WHO DO THEIR BIDDING, THE ANGELIC DEMONS' HEARTS FILLED WITH JOY AT THE HONOR OF SERVING THEIR MASTERS
>Goethe
>Kafka
>Chekhov
>Morrissey
>Nabakov
>Melville
>Milton
>Chaucer
>Cervantes
>Ambrose motherfucking Bierce!

HONORABLE DRAGON WORK CREATURE TIER: THESE WRITERS' SOULS HAVE POSSESSED THE BODIES OF DRAGONS WITH LIME GREEN FUR AND FLORESCENT TIGER STRIPES WHO BREATHE GAMMA RAY BURSTS AND CIRCLE THE SUPREME MASTER GOD'S KINGDOM BY THE MILLIONS, AND OPERATE AS A HIVE MIND, AND HAVE BEEN GENETICALLY MODIFIED WITH TARDIGRADE DNA TO SURVIVE IN SPACE AND EVEN BLACK HOLES, TO HONOR WORKS THAT I ENJOYED PERSONALLY BUT THAT MAY NOT BE AS JUSTIFIED ON AN ARTISTIC LEVEL BY CONSENSUS
>Hesse
>Pynchon
>Hemingway
>Foster Wallace
>Woolf
>Flaubert
>George Eliot
>Balzac
>Borges

read it on a flight to jakarta from miami

it was alright

>No judge though, I've been there
Tell me your origin story please

The true rankings list made me laugh out loud. Especially the part about inhaling farts. I’m not sure what that says about me but it was funny none the less.

Could you please not send me things like this anymore? Thanks :)

proust was a kike FYI

Yeah, and that accounts for why he is promoted by coethnics to teens as deep and cool, who then repeat such sentiments not knowing any better, when the reality is that he wasn't a good writer and his books are mundane and devoid of any substance beyond juvenile musings.

Leave this board right the fuck now.

I have. Twice.

The title

nice

that's not nearly as bad as Walt Whitman who actually WROTE reviews praising his work using psuedonyms.

Oh look, it's this user again. You have never defended what you say. You won't even give us an example of what you consider to be good writing.

how about teh luv note ur mom left me taht was good writign

Eat cock

Proust could stand to learn a thing or two about the virtue of brevity.

I always have to laugh at
>Ambrose motherfucking Bierce!
and
>Foster Wallace

First time I read it was in a little less than a month (June 2008) averaging about 180pp a day. Have read it again since then, 4 years ago. Things really pick up during and after Guermantes. My favorite volume's the last where all loose ends are tied together and Proust really begins to wax philosophical. His objective view of memory\time is priceless. The best writer on Proust I've read to date is Benjamin.