/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

The Year So Far
>What have you accomplished for sff so far?
>What are you currently reading?
>Any new books you wish to recommend?

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries:
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

b-ok.org/s/?q=Childhood's End
amazon.com/Lightning-Stenography-Device-M-Sullivan/dp/0996539514/
rantingdragon.com/top-20-finished-epic-fantasy-books-an-introduction-to-the-genre/
goodreads.com/book/show/35271523-senlin-ascends
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First?

Downloads: b-ok.org/s/?q=Childhood's End

How did you guys interpret the ending to Roadside Picnic? I've just finished it. It feels so tragic, Red realises at the very end that he doesn't know what he wants deep down or even if what he wants is possible, or that it should happen. And how do you think the Golden Sphere reacted to the wish?

Reread Eden, by Lem.

Just finished pic related. Not sci-fi but post apocalyptic, which I think is close enough to mention. I loved it.

Is anything after this series worth reading?

I thought I might read this again but realized I never followed up on some the after novels in the same universe.

sanderfag a hack

What are these lazy fucks doing?

Advice to you aspiring authors. If you want to keep your readership don't publish your first book until you have an outline of where your series is going, and a definite end.

i thought super sales 2 just came out

You guys don't actually read books with covers that poor do you?

i dont know why you keep posting almost every thread.
theres a timeline for william d. arand books on his blog. and super sales 2 is already out. e william brown however is notorious for not releasing books in a schedule. just stop posting until the books are out.
a little info about william d. arand/randi darren though.
he only writes trilogies. doesnt mean that there wont be more books with the same protagonists but he only writes trillogies.
i asked him a few questions per email and he told me a few things actually. such as: ioana and felicia will eventually get to yosemite city somehow

Should I actually read one of those books? And if yes, which? Im a little intrigued with litrpg but can't tell if it's a meme or not

super sales is the only good one out of those 3 in my opinion. wild wastes is just smut and and daniel black would have potential if it wasnt written so terribly.
i recommend the super sales audiobook over the book actually. its fucking amazingly narrated.
id ignore the other two. though you might want to read wild wastes somewhere down the line since all the books of william d. arand are in the same universe and hes building this metaplot where theyre all somehow connected.

The first two are power-leveling harem erotica, not litrpg. Superheroes is the same except without the sex. None of them are true litrpg.

also daniel black and wild wastes arent litrpgs. super sales is what id consider a pseudo litrpg. is light on the stats and rpg elements.

isnt the super sales guy releasing a new book every 3 months consistently for like two years now?
didnt he just write one in collaboration with two other guys that just came out a few days ago?
i read something that if this books sells as well as the previous ones hes gonna quit his dayjob and go full time writer.

are web novels really novels too?

Currently reading "Magican" and im nearing the end. After Pug was sent to the assembly and Tomas got cleansed things started going downhill fast. The question is, should I continue or find a new book?

Very much so, it's like getting to read the bare bones of a good-ish series with much less effort.

>yfw gene wolfs work could have been summarized in a 1,900 chapter web novel in half the time it took to write the books

I am reading Dragons of a Fallen Sun and I am about a whopping 4% in. I don't know why but Dragonlance has been enthralling me.

Keep going, when you are finished with Riftwar Saga you should read The Empire Trilogy (it's better than Riftwar IMO)

>eyre affair (shades of grey sequel never) & sword of the lictor (reread)
>annihilation
>ttl & botns

no one eh

Absolutely. Novels used appear as serials originally all the time. Dickens famously.

Read the first book of the series and post a short review here, as long as it's not complete dogshite I'm sure you'll get a few of us to read it.

I've actually read the series several times, but never the Milieu series that follows it, was a curious if its worth pursuing

Magician and are the only books in Feist's setting worth reading.

t. guy who owns 16 books set in Feist's magical realm

>Finished Urth of the New Sun, taking a break before Litany of the Long Sun
>No SFF while I palate cleanse, reading 'Speak, Memory' by Nabokov
>Recommend The Lightning Stenography Device by M. F. Sullivan, doesn't come out for 2 more weeks but preorder that bitch if you like your sci-fi with a dose of philosophy. amazon.com/Lightning-Stenography-Device-M-Sullivan/dp/0996539514/

Anybody in this thread read any of the Chinese sci-fi I've been hearing so much about lately? How is it? I'm intrigued but already dealing with such a long reading list.

Is the series actually good?

>tfw no obsidian gf to cuddle with
It hurts lads

>what have you accomplished so far?
read book of the new sun. great book
>what are you currently reading?
nothing. what should i read?
i could start
>way of kings
or
>wheel of time
but im open to other suggestions.

Pretty good, though it's the best ones that tend to get translated in the first place. A lot of them examine and make use of themes that may resonate more strongly with a Chinese audience (Trisolaris for example from the Three Body Problem has many aspects that call back to the dynastic cycle and Legalist philosophy, or Folding Beijing being a critique of the hukou system used to artificially restrict rural to urban migration and stratify society) but it's always interesting to see another culture's perspective.

You can give them a go by reading the short story collections of The Wandering Earth and Invisible Planets, and of course The Three Body Problem trilogy for something longer and meatier.

On a scale from 1-10 what would you rate this list?

>Twenty Must-read Finished Fantasy Epics – An Introduction to the Genre – The Ranting Dragon
rantingdragon.com/top-20-finished-epic-fantasy-books-an-introduction-to-the-genre/

I'd rate in a 2/10 because it at least included LOTR, Amber, and Legend/Drenai.. The Sword of Shannara needs to be forgotten. The Wheel of Time is a glaring omission.

I have a pretty jaundiced view of Epic Fantasy as a genre however, and there are some things on that list I've never read. At least he tried.

I kinda like Serpentwar though.

Yeah, in magazines. That means someone other than the author read it first.

I've read only a few of those series so I can't really comment. Seems like a lot of the authors I read are just obscure since they never seem to make these lists.

I liked the first two books of Serpent War, but you need to read all of Riftwar to get the context for them and if you're not enjoying Riftwar before you even finish Magician I wouldn't say it is worth your time. And I can't even claim that my opinion on Riftwar is unbiased cause I have a softspot for military fantasy and merchant shenanigans, so I especially love Rise of a Merchant Prince.

Fairly decent actually, I've read most of them. While some I wouldn't really recommend as they are only average it does get bonus points for having Kushiel and The Belgariad on there. The former because I think it's prose is so well written, the latter because while I don't think it's high fantasy it's the perfect easy to read coming of age series.

Shannara is god awful though. I hate it always makes these kind of lists.

I think I'll pick up Belgariad next.

Is Senlin Ascends any good?

goodreads.com/book/show/35271523-senlin-ascends

If you start reading Wheel of Time you should know the first book is sort of odd. The Eye of the World's main plot is basically a side story that's never brought up again, while the side plots in it end up becoming majorly important foundations for the entire series going forward. I don't know if this is because Robert Jordan had a very different idea of what WoT was going to be while writing the first book, or if he did it to be intentionally misleading, but the ending to Eye of the World basically changes the entire focus of events. It's a crazy ride though, I don't regret reading the whole series though it was slow at times.

Is it absolutely necessary to read Urth of the New Sun after BotS? Does BotS make sense on it's own or can it only properly be understood by reading Urth immediately after?

>brent weeks
>night angel trilogy
DROPPED like a fucking ton of bricks. one of the worst books ive ever read.

Why do contemporary Fantasy book covers look so hideous? What happened?

Sweet Jesus, the one on the right. Had to google because I didn't think it was real. It's a real cover. Mother of God.

the left isnt the worst cover if you just got rid of the flames for some kind of actual background.
>middle cover
>12 minutes into child of the daystar and chill and he gives you this look

> The Eye of the World's main plot is basically a side story that's never brought up again

You'll have to be more specific because that's not true at all. What is found in the EotW carry on for entire the rest of the series.

> while the side plots in it end up becoming majorly important foundations for the entire series going forward.

What's the problem with that? It's exactly how world building works. The first novel in a series should help setup everything that follows.

they're trying their best to look nothing like the books kids have to read for school so as to not scare them away. it has to look like absolute trash because if it didn't it might make your target audience think of their homework.

It's not absolutely necessary to read Urth. BotNS works perfectly fine as a standalone. Urth answers some questions that aren't fully answered in BotNS, and continues the story.

The general advice to new Solar Cycle readers is to read BotNS twice before moving onto Urth or the Long/Short Sun books. When I read them for the first time I wanted the re-read without anyone advising me to. I got a lot more questions answered by the re-read than by reading Urth if that makes sense.

>What is found in the EotW carry on for entire the rest of the series.
Yeah, but the EotW itself is irrelevant. I don't recall anyone ever talking about it after book 1 in any great detail, I think it gets mentioned once or twice in passing, but that's it. Nobody visits the place again, and it doesn't feature into any of the future plot developments. After the first book it is completely irrelevant to the story. That's why I said it's basically a side plot when you look at the whole of WoT. Meanwhile stuff like Perrin's adventures with Whitecloaks and meeting Elyas end up becoming incredibly important and formative for the series in the long run.

>What's the problem with that?
Where did I say it's a problem? All I said is that it's odd, because it is. It's extremely odd to have a first book in series where the main story that drives the narrative ends up being inconsequential while almost everything else ends up being incredibly important.

The three great sins of modern fantasy covers:
>a sword or something against a white background
>photograph of a model in costume
>cheesy photoshop effects all over the place

Reading Senlin Ascends and loving it. Anyone else check out that book? Anything out there with such a unique world?

I’m loving it, very fast, very cool world building, the MC is likeable and unique

I don't think the Sphere grants wishes. And about Red, I think all the shit he had experienced finally got to him and drove him mad.
I also feel that the Sphere actually granting wishes would not fit the theme of the book (that the alien visit is like a picnic), it's such an specific effect for an piece of alien garbage to have.

is this sffg's new shilled book of the month?

Wow, this place really isn’t that different from /v/

I picked it up on a whim after reading the first chapter free online. I like the writing style.

If the Sphere doesn't grant wishes how do you explain the Vulture's children being so good looking, Arthur so virtuous etc? They look nothing like the Vulture himself - the Vulture apparently got those children by visiting the Sphere and sacrificing people to the grinder. That's why he's so adamant that Red needs to take someone (to sacrifice).

Didn't even notice the flames at first, was too busy looking at the shitty font they used for the book title.

Checked.

That's only what the Vulture believe. The nature of the Zone is erratic, and it's a known fact that the children of Stalkers turn out strange. Red's child turned out bad but there's no reason for someone else not to get lucky.
Or maybe someone else slept with his wife when he was in the Zone.

why they talk about new thing??

Not him but I like that first sentence, that's actually a possibility I hadn't considered when I read RP. Shit that book was excellent.

Any litrpg where a guy becomes a sexy girl and hates it? Asking for a friend.

>The Wheel of Time is a glaring omission.
Wheel of Time is terrible.

>>wheel of time
Don't.

>>photograph of a model in costume
Those are fine.

>judging a book by it's cover
Some of those shit covered books, blows books published by recognized print houses (with dedicated art departments) out of the water.

Serious question. Do you read sff, or are you here just to meme?

Webnovels are novels too

>it got so obnoxious that Nynaeve tugged her braid

>will eventually get to yosemite city somehow
Will his irresistible dick make them crave it? They are the lesbians right?

>only writes trilogies
That means I have 2 more super sales books, and one wild wastes book to look forward to.

>e william brown however is notorious for not releasing books in a schedule
He doesn't even post on his blog when he said he would. I guess his wife cucking him and falsely accusing him of beating her took a toll on his promptness.

>He doesn't even post on his blog when he said he would. I guess his wife cucking him and falsely accusing him of beating her took a toll on his promptness.
do elaborate on that. sounds intriguing.

I didn't know he was Tommy Wiseau.

Anyone read any of Lems other books? I like Solaris and i'm curious about the rest.

So is Night Angel and fucking Sword of Shannara. An unlike either of those two WoT had a lasting impact (albeit for worse, imo) on the genre.

I've read His Master's Voice and The Cyberiad, they are both excellent in completely different ways.

Iron Gold is worthless shit.
Don't read.

Touché.

>Thomas Covenant the unbeliever
>Lotr
What possessed them to put those shit on the list?

>So is Night Angel
Night Angel is more entertaining than WoT and Legend.
Go fuck your dinosaur ass with a dragon dildo.

>The Wheel of Time is a glaring omission.
Are you from reddit or something? Why do newfags think it's a must to troll people into reading something on lit? This general used to be actually helpful, with people that read everyday.
Now we have people who last read a sff decades ago, and they try to troll people into reading fucking shit infested books. Fuck you.

In the Daniel Black book, his wife was cucking him while he was at work. When he gets home early she screams at him, calls the cops, then has him arrested for domestic abuse. Then sends a divorce lawyer after him the next day.

Writers usually write what they know. I think he was cucked and taken for a ride.
If you like magical engineering books I recommend Daniel Black. Going for my fourth reread sometime next week.

I'm still butthurt ovet the time spent reading Prince of Thorns. I got punked good by one of you.

>What have you accomplished for sff so far?
Finished my very first short story (proud of this one)
Got my head out of my butt and decided to give Dune a try. It was worth it but have no incentive to read the second book now, for some reason.
Reread BotNS once again.
Tried Malazan but dropped because it feels like fanfic more than anything else.

>What are you currently reading?
The Black Company. Finished first book a few days ago and I started the second one.
Want to read Oathbringer but I can't find the book anywhere for some reason even though it shows that it was released last year.

>Any new books you wish to recommend?
Nope, I only read and reread older sff. The newest things I read is B. Sanderson. I would like others to introduce me new sff though, any recommendations will be greatly appreciated

I got trolled into thomas covenant, imajica, LoTR, buried giant, last unicorn, red knight, the blade itself, Prince of thorns, gray mouser, and many others. If I could find those cucks who did this...

*dabs*

>If you like magical engineering books I recommend Daniel Black.

Library at mount char
Shades of Grey by fforde
Metro 2033
Enjoy.

That robot is a pretty convincing girl. Would fug.

Wars were started over lesser transgressions user.

>LotR
I barely finished Fellowship and felt exhausted and drained. The rest are horrendous. The Last Unicorn film is excellent tho.

Yes. I am my squat bro. What do you want to ask?

Excuse my ignorance, but allow me to assume that Shades of Grey by fforde is not the same as 50 Shades of Grey by whoever wrote that, right?

Also I only heard good things about Metro 2033. Will definitely read it soon.

user, you or someone of like mind has been saying this pretty much since the general started. Relax pard.

>what is google
Do you live in china or something? Is google banned and blocked?

Please expire in a conflagration my good man.

I was just making conversation, trying to lure the user into talking more about it. No need to get so angry and rude about it.
If we go to that extreme, me might as well close this site altogether because we could just "google" book recommendations and get over with.

>pic
There are female rape monsters?

>Outta my way cunuroi fuckin' shits

No, sadly. It would have made sense. But there are female mind-rapers, female incubator monsters, and female sex monsters. Just no unwanted dick-in-pussy on the male side.

>gray mouser
Delet, reeee, etc.

Also, once you learn how to filter out the bad/average recommendations this thread is the best place for SF&F recommendations that I know of.

Reminder that she actually fucked a small bird in that scene.

Going by covers alone, I'd rather read a book about fluffy kitten and it's operatically appreciative companion than sidelong glance reptilian or le fightin man.