What do you all think of him? Overrated or genius?

What do you all think of him? Overrated or genius?

both desu

He inspires me to become a journalist. I admire his attitude towards life

One of the funniest and most original voices in American writing. I'd even say he's underrated, given that no one seems to study him or talk about him these days

there's nothing much to study. it's commercial literature, meant to be consumed en masse. you wouldn't study a columnist. not to say i don't like his style

He's okay but literally what was the point of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Felt like he just stuck in some drivel about the 60s and the American Dream to make it seem deep

He's has two decent novels, but it's not deep stuff. He's not overrated because most literary critics identiify him this way, he's definitely over exposed because drug addicted treat him like genius, and he is definitely not. Overall he lived a pretty miserable life, just ask his family.

Christ as a balding man i get this feeling that losing your hair is a one way ticket to suicide city. Houellebecq hasn't...yet.

There's plenty of baldies that died peacefully or are still kicking

Yes that is true, maybe everyone has moments of personal despair late at night.

Overrated is probably true but he's got a unique voice. Never fails to get a laugh out of me, especially when he rants about Nixon.

>Overrated or genius?
Neither, he was a journalist and op-ed writer with a great prose persona.

He's a rare American counterculture figure who is also an icon of masculinity so teenage boys who like drugs and have memberships to the country club love him.

just more confirmation that if u arent a stud u arent gettin published, sorry, sadsack soys

>Felt like he just stuck in some drivel about the 60s and the American Dream to make it seem deep
how else was he going to write about this? by sidestepping the drugs? F&L comes off a lost civil rights case by Oscar Zeta Acosta. it's the feeling that what they were doing these past years was failing, was at bottom empty, the exact kind of binge-degradation which Hunter's characters engage in. for someone like HST who saw the whole thing from the inside psychedelics cannot be apolitical -- the novel's anti-authoritarian drug binge cannot be separated from the utopian counterculture movement, in some ways he even considers it identical. it's an elegy to a certain optimism long gone under, and what's left are two freaks in the heart of sin

Reminder that introverts who don't have the balls to party and socialize with others will inherently write stiff characters, like a virgin trying to describe sex. If you want to write a good story, live a more interesting life than than anything you can put to paper.

this is how you end up getting stabbed in the eye at 29

He doesn't get enough credit for influencing "hysterical fiction" writers like DeLillo, Pynchon, and Wallace because so many people just hear his name and think, "Dude drugs lmao."

>don't have the balls to party and socialize with others will inherently write stiff characters
equating balls with nerves and equating that with constitution is unwise.
>a virgin trying to describe sex
you can have sex and still describe it in stiff terms. you can also party and think of sex in mechanical retarded terms as well because you're stupid and have a deformed brain (like YOU).
>live an interesting life
ah so billionaire playboys write the best stories then?

boring platitude, there is no one way to good writing, but practice is the surest.

>Reminder that introverts who don't have the balls to party and socialize with others will inherently write stiff characters
like Joyce?

>like Joyce?

joyce was able to write so good cuz he had life experience in sniffing farts

also in starting fights for Hemingway to finish

>Billionaire playboys
>Interesting life
Literally all they do is fuck and spend money on dumb shit.