Name a better chapter in all of literature than Chapter 12, the "Cyclops" chapter of Ulysses

name a better chapter in all of literature than Chapter 12, the "Cyclops" chapter of Ulysses
>inb4 Infinite Jest Eschaton chapter

Combray from Swann's Way

the chapter in the odyssey were he comes back to his frat and kills all the friendzoned betas

I prefer "Swann in Love" or "Place-names: the Place".

132 "The Symphony"

i can name at least 6 from the same fucking book

Greatest chapter in Moby dick and greatest chapter in a novel ever.

>tis a mild, mild wind....

This. When you hit peak lit and then top yourself in the next chapter, over and over.

Do editions actually say the chapter title? Or is it just my shitty edition that doesn't?

don't know, but the chapters seem to have the same titles on all the analysis sites, so the titles must have been included at some point? or maybe over the years, they have just naturally emerged by comparison to the odyssey and stuck with the community? can't say i know for sure either way, but my edition doesn't have titles either.

A squeeze of the hand

When your favourite chapter from ulysses is neither stately, plump, nor buck.

Yeah he wrote a scheme with all the titles and associates Odyssey chapters

I have this exact hardback of Ulysses. It's missing the cover sleeve. I'm now extremely angry that it will never look that aesthetic. Why did the pleb who owned it before me have to discard the sleeve?

I don't think any editions have the "chapter titles". Joyce purposely left them out of the printing despite having given them titles. It was part of the quest for the motivated reader. The only editions which would include chapter titles would be recent printings. I've also read that the final "word" in Ulysses is a giant period. Yet my edition, the one in the OP image, does not have a giant period at the end. Can anyone confirm about the period?

When stoner sits in his office by himself in the winter.

Easy. Pic related.

Yes, I can. It may be some kind of tomfoolery on joyce's part, but the big ending period (which is not so big, the size f a letter) is actually before Penelope, because Ulysses' "journey" as ends there. When I get home I take a picture, its the wordsworth edition I have, but also have a translation that has the Gilbert Schema but I'm not sure it had the big period.

ok I'm home. See pic related, its at the end of Ithaca . I'm a kind of retard for joyce, so I got a portuguese translation, the original in english and in italian. All three have the 'big period', but only the portuguese translation has the Gilbert Schema, which has the name of the chapters, the hour of the day, technic employed in each chapter, etc., its the only edition I've come across with it, its from the 70's~80's if I'm not mistaken, the english and italian editions are very recent.

Sirens.

>Quentin's chapter in The Sound and the Fury

>

Penelope

why do you have shit smeared on the goddamn pages

My one doesn't have chapter names. Each new section is denoted by the first few words of a the first line being capitalised with some symbol beside the line. There's probably a name for it but I'm a brainlet.

book from 70~80's. Probably it was exposed in humidity so got some kind of fungus idk. Left it in the freezer in a ziplock back with backing soda to kill whatever possibly was in it when O bought it

What did he mean by that? It's been years since I read AILD

>not circe or penelope

The Sectumsempra chapter in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

>trips on this post

>the absolute state of Veeky Forums

laffed

Any of them.

Sirens idiot

Grand inquisitor+ rebellion EZPZ

(You)

checked

trips of truth

was he whacking it at the beach in that chapter? I forget...

He was coming to the understanding of his mother’s state (dead) by likening her to something in a similar state (fish.)

Nah thats the next chapter

Franz Pokler chapter in GR.

>Veeky Forums getting this easily baited

Glimpse from a Thursday Afternoon in American Psycho

The ninth chapter of The Trial, "In The Cathedral."

I second this, what a chad.

Fuck yeah. This is one of the best literary events in the western canon; I wanted to see those beta orbiters get butchered throughout the whole fucking book. Eating all of Odysseus's food, trying to steal his girl, and then plotting against Telemachus... I was pretty triggered tbqh. But DAMN... when the loyal swinehearder, Telemachus, and Odysseus finally let them have it... I was feeling pretty good.

I also liked the scene in The Aeneid when Aeneas was having the Olympic Games for his dad, and that huge boxer won a bull as a prize for almost completely destroying his competitor, but then he punched the bull right between the horns with the iron gauntlet in a victorious rage and cracked its skull open and splattered its brains everywhere. I mean, I don’t advocate hitting animals or animal cruelty, but it was just such an abrupt act of savagery that really added to the characterization of that boxer.

any chapter out of harry potter

>not Ithaka or Oxen of the Sun

oxen of the sun really put me off
like yes, i get the significance of it, but god, i did NOT enjoy reading it. it was by far the most difficult chapter of Ulysses for me to read, and actually the only one that i just plain did not enjoy reading

Gravity's Rainbow the chapter with Katje and Grigori.

Telemachus, Proteus, Calypso, Hades, Sirens, Nausicaa, Circe and Ithaca