How's that book you're writing coming along?

How's that book you're writing coming along?

Making any progress?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jDEwbsWj2Qo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I wrote a manuscript but haven't gotten around to editing it.

Currently working out how I can put together a short story where there are four friends drinking and smoking in a garage they are all too often found in living out their own twisted alcoholic tendencies and in the drunken stooper of night the main character begins retelling stories and history in fun imaginative ways when one of the four friends asks him to tell a story, a real story about his own life, and this is where the main character goes over loosely connected stories of recent past including his corrupted teen years doing/selling drugs (16-18) and later his falling in love and losing said love in young adulthood (18-20) all following In separate chapters leading up too his alcohol abuse and shut-in lifestyle we see in the beginning with him drinking in the garage. Ends with the main character exausted and hungover from a long night of drinking and pouring his heart into these stories, him and his mother speak together of forgiveness and life underneath the night sky and they both reminisce of the stars, they say goodnight, and he is now alone, ready to be alright.

Any input Veeky Forums would be much appreciated

What's it about?

a modern fantasy in another world

It’s coming. 77k

oh

thread theme (reddit edition): youtube.com/watch?v=jDEwbsWj2Qo

Just another alienated and angry 20-something white male. I started something today/last night that I'll probably finish in my thirties and never get published.

You sound mad, bro.

It's actually coming along pretty nicely. Just started this draft a few weeks ago and I've consistently written every day for at least a few hours. I altered my sleep schedule so that instead of waking up whenever (usually 11:00AM) I now wake up at 4:45AM. My morning routine is to wake up, wash my face, pour my coffee, then sit down and write until the sun is well risen. By writing it out with pencil I can't stop myself to edit little bits and passages like I would using my laptop's word editor. When I know for certain that something will need to be altered I stick a color-coded tab on the line so I'll remember when it comes time to copy the page into digital text.

The only real problem that I'm facing is that I never have enough time in the day to write. Unfortunately I have to be wageslave and also maintain a relationship with my gf so I can't spend all day writing like I really wish I could. My novel will probably be ~20 chapters and at my current pace it will likely be July when I'm finished with this draft. Of course then I have to copy it into my laptop and then edit and then rework it and then hire a professional editor and then redo it again and then make a final draft. The book is winter themed so I'd really like to have it finished in time for winter 2018 but just thinking that far ahead right now is making me anxious.

Haven't worked on it for months due to a combination of laziness, lack of inspiration, and general busy-work that's been keeping me occupied. Not to mention my wife now has her computer in the same room as me and it's hard to write when she's behind me for a few reasons.

I’ve got summation of the major arcs and a few of the key dialogue moments plotted out. Buts a jumbled mess of ideas. If my will wavers it’ll never get done.

Go edit it, bitch.
Nevermind, throw it away, bitch.

Sounds like some John Greene shit.

>maintain a relationship with my gf
Truly the worst mistake an artist can make is getting tied down to a woman. I'm spiteful.

I would agree with you in almost any other case but my own. She has been the one and only person who has believed in me for over four years now. When no one in my life would care or listen to me she supported me. She has and would do anything for me and I truly love her for that. Also my book is mostly inspired by the beginning of our relationship.

I really like this idea because I can tell that you believe in it. Just do your best to avoid character cliches that are endemic to stories like this. If your prose is good you may have something really special.

I was the same way for a long time. But then as things slowed down it became a drag. When I wanted to write, she wanted to go out for a date. When I want to read, she wants to watch a TV show with me.

If I wasn't obsessed with my privacy I would take a picture of her right now. She's on the couch near me reading East of Eden. I've pretty much shaped her into someone that won't get in the way of my art. But I will take your experiences and words to heart and remember what you said. I know that somewhere in this world is someone that is perfect for you.

It's genre fiction

Some. Thanks for asking. The plot has been solidifying and it seems like I learn something new about my characters everyday.

She's in another state. So is another. Humans weren't meant to be monogamous but I learned that too late in life, so I let all the others go for this one. They moved on and left. Now I'm stuck here.

Man, I disagree with your outlook but I hope you will find peace. I spent a good five years of my life thinking the way that you do. I'm not as young as you may think. I just want to tell you that there is more beyond your present pain. All memes asides, just be yourself, no one else, and live your life one day at a time.

I managed to get to chapter 25 but I've started dragging my ass because depression

I've been brainstorming poems in my free time, this is what I'm thinking about currently. It's not done but what do you guys think?

My love has a strange desire
To roast me over a fire
It is my meat she wants
And I play along with her hunts

You want my arm?
No matter the harm?
You may, I hope its clear
You're all I hold dear

You want my brain?
Won't you mind my pain?
You should know as you chew
I think only of you

I have 40 pages of bad fiction/essays left to write for my diary desu, then I have another 80 pages or so of journal entries available to write.

it's finished, but already get some bad press..

Thank you, I do believe in it. The story mean a lot to me and I hope to do it right. I agree with you about the characteristic cliches and I'm going to do my best to avoid the hell out of em. Thanks user, you might not think twice, but you're words are a great help and inspiration.

on page 10 unsure of how to introduce all the narratives since they are all on different levels of fiction/realness and i dont wanna make it too esoteric

Yeah, I'm always mad.

taking a break for a moment. might come back to it tonight or tomorrow morning, going to finish it before the end of May probably

Don't write about your own life and pretend it has any depth, fag

I know we're on Veeky Forums and I know you're being mean but why shouldn't he? What else would one write if not something directly from or inspired by their own life experiences? This is operating under the agreed assumption that genre fic is unequivocally trash as indicated in

I ran my book's premise through my professor the other day, and he praised the shit out of it for its originality and intricate narrative structure. He also said that my prose compromised between beauty and brevity.
What I didn't know at the time was that he had driven the last few nails into its coffin. I currently cannot bring myself to bring the novel into fruition. Has anyone else gone through this? When praise drives you to an end?
I'm one of those people who jump around one hobby to another. For whatever reason, I'm now trying to write shitty poetry instead of working on a novel that shows some promise.

Still reading through the greeks

I like the idea of taking the "dying for love" trope and giving it some sort of cannibalistic twist. But I did not like the lines...

>You should know as you chew
>I think only of you

Feels a little corny. As far as your structure goes I don't have an opinion. I'm too new into poetry to judge that.

I have about three chapters done but I'm rewriting all of it in verse.

Did you copy and paste this? I've read this exact post before, strange pasta or enthusiastic user

Yeah, last time I sat down to write I cranked out six pages.
>Granted that was two years ago

Exactly my point! Thank you.

Its pretty much a copy paste but just an enthusiastic user (me) trying to find some constructive feedback.

I’ve plotted it out in intense detail, but I still haven’t actually written anything

Write, friend. Sit down today, if only for a moment and write. It's a terrible feeling having thoughts in your dome and never releasing them in a way of your choosing. Write. That's the hardest part. Is doing the action we so long for.

FINE!!! ITS GOING FINE!!!! LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE IM TRYING TO WRITE!!!!!

I sold 5 books on Amazon for $0.99 each

*tappity tap*

Good Idea, just start writing

based make sure to send it to kadokawa.

Thanks man much appreciated. And I have began writing, I can't decide if I want the characters in the garage to break into the stories and add comments or just finish the stories off and than have them jump in, kinda like intermissions. What you think?

Reality has no literary depth. You can draw from experience, but to write about it is to be a preening imbecile caught up in yourself.