The story is told in the first person by a woman called Offred...

>The story is told in the first person by a woman called Offred. The character is one of a class of women kept for reproductive purposes and known as "handmaids" by the ruling class in an era of declining births due to sterility from pollution and sexually transmitted diseases.

Is this supposed to be dystopian? I mean, it doesn't seem that outlandish that in a world where fertility is a problem, women who are able to get pregnant would have a duty to do so.

I don't think she thought this one through...

Read the book.

Bump

There's some real old review somewhere (I forgot to save the goddamn link) about how Margaret Atwood could never understand the novel she's trying to write since she's so disconnected from the common woman and that's it's more fuelled by a victim complex. It's pretty good.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Are you saying Atwood is a fucking hack and only good because she's propped up by people who don't actually read but just look for content that conforms to their world view?

Reading the book does nothing to prove OP wrong.

The book is about the oppression of women at the hands of a theocratic patriarchy.

After reading this one, I never understood the hype around Atwood. There's nothing particularly impressive about this work, and its plot is boring and dull. Don't bother reading it. It's just a dumb projection of her retarded, irrelevant worldview and a warning about "muh Christian boogeymen"

It is next on my list; seems absolutely possible in today's political climate.

The sad thing is there's people who believe that sentiment.

>a duty to get prenant

Why the fuck would that be a duty? The word duty in this context is just dressing up what is actually happening--rape.

>Like, so what if our species dies out, and like, I could stop it? Like, omg, not my probs

>species survival is important

this but unironically

kek

got im bauss

>seems absolutely possible in today's political climate.

>implying those with the will to survive would respect your rights.
Rights are for humans, not nihilistic subhumans

>Muh duty

Maybe that review is right, but how can it possibly know that she is disconnected from the common woman (pre fame) and why does that deride from the work? Imagination is a thing, interviews and research are a thing.

The average woman is a frothing at the mouth feminist, who thinks killing an unborn human is the greatest expression of womanhood.

You are so incredibly disconnected from reality.

get off the internet for a minute, my dude.

No, thats just the ones you see on the internet and like 3 of girls in my college program

he might just be Muslim

This but ironically

Yeah but women will have kids naturally, no need to force them to.

Babies aren't humans. Read Aquinas.

Aquinas probably fucked his Mother, he is irrelevant

No. Virtually all nations in the western world has well below replacement birthrates even now, mostly because women are free to do as they (think they) want. That is, having complete control over reproduction because of modern contraception and silly ideas of careers and cock carousels in their most fertile years. Now imagine only every tenth woman or whatever is fertile. Of course you'd need a totalitarian state to step in to force the survival of the species. Taking (even drastic) measures is justified the moment you fall below 2.1 children per woman.

The book is obvious propaganda to further gaslight emptyheaded skanks and their neutered cuckboy orbiters about the scary natalist Christian boogeymen.

it's ok we're importing Somalis who are after all identical to Europeans beneath the skin, so they can make up for the lack of children

They barely have kids naturally now and were not even close to this meme scenario

I meant NOT.

yeah, in the middle east, but you don't see soy fags or purple hair lesbians complain about that

>Babies aren't humans

This
Can't tell if this is legitimate or just /pol/ sarcasm

The book correctly imagines that if reproduction is unavoidably limited then men will exert their power to control it and maximise their own chances of producing children. Frankly it sucks for the women, but that's just how it is. If you can figure out a better method I'm all ears.

But that's basically what is happening now. Women are limiting reproduction through birth control and general feminist memes, and men are not responding with any sort of oppression but instead just dropping out of society

Yes, but we've decided to solve that through mass immigration. Also, women of childbearing age who want to be married and have children are still in high demand, and men compete by acquiring status in order to woo those women. The ones who drop out of society have simply "lost", but not all men drop out. You see a similar thing in polygamous societies, where reproduction is limited because a few wealthy men have control of most of the supply.

Isn't this paradox a more interesting topic than "le fundamentalism is bad"?
I went into this book expecting it to talk about that stuff, rape, unwanted pregnancy and the fear of these thing from a female perspective.

Could you guys reccomend me something that will fulfill my expectations?

They aren't, sorry.
So did I.

>rape, unwanted pregnancy and the fear of these thing from a female perspective

Just read a textbook on feminism. Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy was rather a good book, though.

Also Pamela by Richardson, or Clarissa (also by Richardson, although it's a hell of a lot longer but also better than Pamela).

>Just read a textbook on feminism
No. I don't care about that. I want a claustrophobic novel, not a pamphlet
>Tess of the d'Urbervilles
Will read
Will read both

It is a dystopia if you're a woman, but a utopia for the average man from here I guess.

Tess of the d'urbervilles read like a comedy to me somehow. I actually laughed out loud at the part when he finds out she's not a virgin

The descriptions of working in the fields with the cows are incredibly beautiful though

If the world had fewer women that were able to bear children I doubt they woudl want to have th average Veeky Forums poster involved.

Trade in my girl for social advantages while she gets treated like a sex slave is hardly my dream, and I don't even have a girlfriend now.
Kys fucking /r9k/ scum.
Why this site is full of people like you jesus christ? I swear I can't feel safe or good anymore around socially awkward guys since I started browsing this shithole

Both. I typical despise /pol/ but genetic differences between populations is one thing they're not wrong about. This doesn't justify the garbage way we treat people from the 'third world', but it's not just some crazy conspiracy thing.

Ok Chad McChadderchad

>I swear I can't feel safe or good anymore
Cry more, faggot

check all of the following that apply to you:
>regulating the reading habits of others is extremely important to me
>i read on average fewer than five books per year
>i routinely use terms from the internet to categorize and evaluate content (e.g. 'redpill,' 'sjw,' 'chad,' etc)