Hey Veeky Forums I'm 21 and I've never read a book (i know it's hard to believe), only a few mangas here and there...

Hey Veeky Forums I'm 21 and I've never read a book (i know it's hard to believe), only a few mangas here and there. Are there any books you would recommend, they can be any genre. Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com/books?id=CzaeCifjTf4C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ViewAPI#v=onepage&q&f=false
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabasis_(Xenophon)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sticky dumbass

give me real suggestions please

books.google.com/books?id=CzaeCifjTf4C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ViewAPI#v=onepage&q&f=false

Honestly the first dozen or so books don't matter so much. In order for serious reading to be pleasurable you have to train your reading mechanics (focus, vocab, background knowledge, etc.), which can be done with less serious literature. Read some fantasy or some mystery--something either immersive or with a payoff at the end. It'll keep you entertained while also getting you in the habit of reading more.

thank you

OP try Cat's Cradle
>Inb4 Vonnegut >r/books
It's one of his best, and Vonnegut makes a fine first author, since he's easy to read and clearly cares about engaging with his audience

Ignore literaturefags, read genre fiction. Start with Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. You need highly developed boredom tolerance before you can read literature. Beginners should stick to entertaining books.

This
If you didn't read before it's probably because you find it boring as fuck. Read what sounds interesting to you. You develop an appetite by eating, and in order to start eating, you need to eat what tastes the best for you atm.

In fact just stick to genre fiction forever. There is no reason to read these ancient crusty books, if you are interested at all in them just go read a summary and get the key plot points so you can pretend you read them. Life is too short and busy to be wasting it reading boring garbage.

I started with The Martian because it was a book that I felt drawn to.
Then I read some non fiction that I was interested in and after that I wanted to get into literature, history, mythology, etc.
Don't just read because you want to seem smart or whatever, start with something you feel genuine interest in.

Start with the greeks

Anabasis (aka The Persian Expedition) by Xenophon. Exciting story of milltary adventure against the odds that will teach you martial virtues and the civilsational battle between decadence and masculine strength.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabasis_(Xenophon)

>never read a book
>look at this list
>starts with Ulysses
I wonder how that will go

I think that The Stranger is a very good start. It's a short and easily digestible read with some alluring scenes. An introduction to existentialism and more specifically absurdism. I read it at 18 and it sparked my love for literature even though I've strayed a bit away from its view.

Ignore this brainlet, he's lost his way from /sffg/ again. Start with something so good that's gonna suck you in, but not too good, like I did with Proust, because a lot of works will seem more bland through comparison. Try Don Quixote by Cervantes or Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky.

OP, this list is a great mix between great literature and stuff you need to read in high school. Read through this and finish it before you go on to anything else

OP, this guy is a pure faggot. Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is fucking stupid, and genre fiction is unrewarding.

notice how they both have dark curly hair and dark eyes? isn't that interesting?

Interesting, actually. Ulysses was my first book that I read in years and I thought it was beautiful prose, even if I didn't understand it at the time.

On that same thought, Ulysses is a great book to begin literature with, even if it's difficult, because it explores a ton of literary conventions that you'll notice in other works, which in turn has made me appreciate Ulysses all the more.

No.

a total masterpiece

start with the russians

tell that to varg xd

Start with popsci nonfiction stuff. Don't fall into the genrefiction trap

>21
>never read a book
>i know it's hard to believe
It's really not. You're as normie as the rest of them

Dude you should get into some non-fiction of a topic you like to train yourself into reading. Starting with novels could bore you away from it if you don't know how to read them.

Read Divergent.

What mangas do you read? What is your proficiency with reading texts?
After you answer this, we can start talking about book recommendations

bruh you're mom gay! XD

I'd start with something charming but significant. Timeless themes and all that. Watership Down. It's just so good.

Dude, normies read.

The fact that you read does not make you abnormal or member of some exclusive club.