I have a goal of reading a classic book from every European country and these 3 are the next on my list but I don't...

I have a goal of reading a classic book from every European country and these 3 are the next on my list but I don't know any books from there so I'm open to suggestions (just please no H.C. Andersen)

Either/Or.
Growth of the Soil.

fuck sweeden

and Kalevala for Finland

Norway: Knut Hamsun, Growth of the Soil or Hunger

Denmark: Karen Blixen, Seven Gothic Tales

Sweden: Moberg, the Emigrants

Finland: Kalevala, their national epic

Doctor Glas.
Red Room.
Barabbas.

From Sweden, the theatre of August Strindberg. I've only seen The Road to Damascus but it was great.

what did you read from Italy

Gaarder - Sophie's World

>Finland
I've heard good things about Under the North Star by Väinö Linna.

The Long Ships
10/10

Sinuhe the Egyptian by Mika Waltari is praised as well.
Seconding for Sweden.

Seconding Doctor Glas and Barabbas. Both Lagerkvist and Söderberg are excellent

Replace Moberg with any of these , and you're set.

Fun idea, what countries do you have left?

Just these and the Balkans (except Hungary and Bulgaria)
>what did you read from Italy
The name of the rose

Oh and Switzerland
Thanks for all the suggestions by the way, I'll look them up and read whichever seems the best

This, Doktor Glas is fantastic

>Several people recommend Norwegian authors but the relevant countries are Sweden, Finland and Denmark
So this is the power of Anglo education

Read collective suicide by Paasilina, something by Strindberg and Holberg. They're primarily aimed at kids but Tove Jansson's Moomin books are patrician as fuck (way superior to Astrid Lindgren)

>shits on people for recommending Norwegian lit
>recommends Holberg

Scandinavians, everyone

Lived and wrote in Denmark. Beside he is the foundation of danish theater.

Came here to post this. The Unknown Soldier by Linna is also great.

>The Unknown Soldier by Linna
Is that similar in concept to All quiet on the western front?

I haven't read AQOTWF, so I can't really say. The book follows one company from the beginning of the war to its end and it doesn't have a single main character. Linna served himself in the Continuation war, and the book is loosely based on his own experiences, although all the characters are mostly made up. I have only read the Finnish version, so I can't promise that the translated one is as good, but I suggest you give it a try.

Just finished this. As a Finno-American I never appreciated the real power of Finnish autism until I read this powerful account of mythic Finnish autism.

It's less about how horrible war is, and more about how pointless it all is, despite the heroicism of the men fighting it.
You can actually draw loose parallels to Black Hawk Down. In surprisingly many ways, now that I think of it.
What translation did you read?

General consensus I got from research was that Friberg was the best, so I went with that.

This is the right answer,

Can you sell me in on Doctor Glas?

could you post what your read for the other countries or just those that you enjoyed a lot
(unless it's too much work)
fun goal btw

It is written as the diary of a doctor struggling struggles with his conscience over the course of a summer. He longs to escape his perceived mediocrity by preforming a great deed. It is probably one of the greatest portrayals of depression that I've read so far.
It is also a very nice portrayal of early 19th century Stockholm, I personally enjoyed his portrayal far more than Strindbergs.

Seconding this

I liked "Popular music from Vittula"(from the Swedish/Finnish borderlands), if you'd like to read something modern and entertaining.

Finland - Aleksis Kivi, "Seven Brothers"

For many of them it's the first book that comes to mind when you hear of the country but I'll throw in the best and the most interesting (not the same thing as it turns out) here

>Ireland - The Picture of Dorian Grey
>Luxembourg (the hardest one to find an author from) - Ralph 124C 41+ by Hugo Gernsback (as far as I know there isn't another Luxembourg author that's been translated in English -- I may be wrong)
>Bulgaria - The Iron Candlestick by Talev
>Germany - Kafka
>Norway - Hunger by Knut Hamsun
>Andorra - The Teacher of Cheops (self-published e-book so I went with monstrously low expectations but I was pleasantly surprised)