What drives a man to write about defeat?

What drives a man to write about defeat?

anti-fragility

>What drives a man to write about defeat?
Because that is a large part of anyone's life. All of us experience defeat sometimes in our lives: it is something present in every single existence.

The theme of the book, however, is military defeat, and that is extremely important, for in every war there is almost a side that is defeated, so you can imagine millions and millions of lives through history facing the consequences of defeat. Every society, every ethnic group, every region on the planet has tasted defeat: many of your ancestors have endured military defeat, no matter where on the planet you now live. Is a gigantic and very prevalent theme.

>What you should be asking yourself is what drives a man to write something line Bottom’s Dream (Zettels Traum)?

It makes me depressed to see such a gigantic waste of time, energy and mental health.

Being defeated

/thread

defeatism is the worst of vices

>Every society, every ethnic group, every region on the planet has tasted defeat
What is the USA, you defeatist third worlder?

remember Vietnam?

owned

Not only Vietnam, but all of the the ethnicities that today make the US are of people who have suffered defeats in the past (the own England, coloniser of the US, was violated by Romans and Nordic).

Afghanistan is now beeing considered some sort of defeat by the part of the US.

Also, remember:

>"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Samuel Johnson

and

>PATRIOTISM, n. Combustible rubbish ready to the torch of any one ambitious to illuminate his name.
>In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the last resort of a scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened but inferior lexicographer I beg to submit that it is the first.

(The Devils Dictionary)

samefag

Mutts BTFO

Checked
But delusion is a vice too. You can accept that you have been defeated and still try again.

Defeat is human. Humans talk about their life experiences. Others read those experiences and will be able to relate and might be cathartic

Defeat fetish

Endurance and preperation for future victory are virtues that can be born out of defeat; anti-fragility.

t. I hate my father and identify with with my resentful shrew mother

Nope, I love them both.

I’m just handsome, tall, talented and successful and don’t need to use any collective ideals of worth - like patriotism - as a cane to sustain the weight of my conscience.

I know very well that we are all alone and that it doesn’t matter where you come from: it’s who and what you are that make the difference in the end.

Just take Cristiano Ronaldo as an example: he comes from a small and not that expressive country, from a poor family, and yet he is much more successfull, talented, physically gifted, stronger and popular than you are. You can squeal as much as you want that you are important because you are “American” and come from “the greatest country in the world”, but on the end of the day nobody cares about that, nobody gives a damn about you: you are nothing compared to Ronaldo.

Same thing with your literary ambitions. Gabriel García Márquez comes from a third world country, a country that even acted in a shamefully submissive away towards the US (almost like a colony) and yet you will never produce anything even half as great as what he produced. To be honest, is probable that no novel in the US, not even Moby Dick, can be considered superior to 100 Years of Solitude. And even if Moby Dick was superior, that would be Melville’s triumph, not yours.

Another example is Nabokov. He couldn’t live in Russia, so he travelled all around Europe, and then towards the US, but in the end he was always alone, and he became what he became not because of loyalty to any country. So independent was he that after Gengis rich he simply abandoned the US and went living in the neutral Switzerland.

Lazy people and untalented individuals are the ones who care most about patriotism - with the exception of those who use patriotism as a tool to obtain their goals, to manipulate others, to win political support -; the really gifted think on themselves as a nation, and no matter where they are they will always be concerned first with their own excellence. You should check the average IQs of the navy seals. If those guys were really capable of great contributions in the realms of arts and sciences he would not be there using patriotism and group bounding as source for self-worth and meaning-in-life.

If you are extraordinary than prove it to the world: don’t use the achievements of others (of “muh race”, “muh heritage”, “muh country”) to feel special about yourself - that’s what cowards do.

What drives a man to write about defeat? the kid asked.
The Judge spat and looked off into the bloodred hallucinogenic vistas of the desert struck by the setting sun. What drives a man to do anything, he asked. We are on this earth for a short time and we will go soon into that night wherefrom no one returns, be it god or the devil or nothing at all who takes us. What drives a man to write about defeat, you ask? What drives a man to write about anything?

had me fooled for a second there playa
nice

we are reaching narcissism levels that should not be possible

woah...

You are confusing the collective consciousness for that of the individual. You are also saying that man has no ability to separate the two, or that individual interest in group success is vital to the structure of any community or larger society. It serves a function.

Also you’re a massive fucking twat who likes sniffing his own bumhole. I bite my thumb at you. Cunt.

>no novel in the US, not even Moby Dick, can be considered superior to 100 Years of Solitude
This was the most outrageous thing in that entire post.

Why did you have to write such a long tirade?