How did this book get memed into “classic” territory? Is it because people fetishize the roaring 20s?

How did this book get memed into “classic” territory? Is it because people fetishize the roaring 20s?

Yea sure, it definitely doesn't have anything to do with prose. Very meme book.

GRUG FANCY LIKE GATSBY
GRUG LIKE CLASSIC BOOKS

It was the beginning of ultra-compact novels where everything is employed to convey a sense of analytic triumph to the reader

I'm not saying it's a good thing, but it's why modern short fiction is insufferable

peole who make posts like this are the same ones who rave about harry potter and rewatch the movies every year

grug good

no one does that

The only reason people even know of this book is because they were forced to read it as teenagers in high school
>Is it because people fetishize the roaring 20s?
No, it's because teenagers fetishize living like royalty and sappy love shit.

My parents do this like crazy

You must be new here

Got baited by the mysterious book cover

It was pretty revolutionary in its time. I assume you don't know much about the history of american literature.

If you’re too stupid to get assigned high school reading you should Cobain yourself

how dense are you that you don't understand The Great Gatsby?

> misses the tragic trauma of being the poor kid in love with the girl out of his league, so he tries to become so out of her league but he still never quite wins the girl

How do people not empathise with this?

I do it every few years because Harry Potter is fun comfort-movie watching but I don't make ignorant posts like OP, I just make ignorant posts like this one. I try my best.

>hey, this party is pretty great, Gatsby
>the end
I agree. Fitzgerald was a hack

Filed under: Books Women Will Never Understand

It's a great entry-level novel that is used to teach teenagers how to approach literature. Unfortunately for you, the fact that you are asking this question as (presumably) an adult means that you missed the point, which means the serious study of literature just isn't for you.

Because I never fell in love
What the fuck am I supposed to empathize with?

this
it's literally babbys first modernism

The Great Gatsby is really good. However, it did get over-praised.
This is because in the 19th and early 20th century some Americans looked at Europe and noticed that Europe had a literary tradition going back centuries, whereas America, being a relatively young country, didn't.
The result was an intense desire for a "Great American Novel"; i.e. a work with the status of the European classics. However, there was also a strong feeling that American literature should not be merely trying to copy dusty old European literature, but should be its own thing; i.e. defiantly modern.

The Great Gatsby was one of the works which was seized on in this spirit.

(Catcher In The Rye was another.)

>This book is shitty but if you don't like it you are a psued
:^)

Not as good as Wuthering Heights, and that was written by A WOMAN

Americans and their neurotic desire to have a "great american novel" as well as education curriculum
Fitzgerald was a beautiful prose stylist, though

this, it's all shill

Do they teach you guys these points in school? Every thread you repeat the same pointless drivel. Do you ever think for yourself?

Why would they "think for themselves" if they're already 100% correct?

Of course a brainlet by you would be comforted by one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

They teach this in English schools for some reason

But Moby Dick had already been published for 74 years by that point.

Christ, apart from Don Quixote, God Tier is a compilation of the Veeky Forums recommendations I absolutely couldn't bear. Sure, every other tier is dogshit as well but I stopped getting triggered after finishing High Tier and realizing it's a meme picture.

>god tier
>count of monte cirsto
>atlas shrugged
this bait NEVER stops making me incredibly angry

Fuck Scott Fitzgerald
Total hack

>Les Mis
>couldn't bear
I share a board with these folk.

>he doesn't like Tender is the Night