What a great book

What a great book.

it's OK I guess

It's better than the entirety of Dublin.

Fucking hell uk penguin modern classics are ugly. The fuck is that font choice

>tfw. mr duffy

>tfw little chandler

What a great author

Fuck you. Dublin 8 is heaven on earth!

>reading on the train
>qt next to me on her phone
>say to her "you may have noticed I'm reading Joyce"
>she says "what"
>I tell her Joyce is the greatest writer in the English language and how many people think the book I'm reading (Dubliners) is a collection of short stories, but it's actually a novel with the city of Dublin as the main character
>she says she's just trying to message her friend
>I say "Oh? Not boyfriend? You know, Joyce was very romantic. He told his wife in a letter that he could pick her out in a room full of farting women."
>she starts getting out of her set
>I push the book into her chest and say "Wait! Keep it!"
>the train pulls into a station and she starts leaving
>I yell out "remember that it's a novel!"
>doors close
>remember it was a library book

What was the story about the gentlemen discussing Ireland's future in that rundown house, with the stout being left on the hob? It's the only one I can remember from the book

>tfw actually read Dubliners so that I could impress a coworker from Ireland
Now you're just making me feel autistic

pls be real

"Ivy Day in the Committee Room"
definitely the most underrated story

Real af m8. Not like I bought the book just for this, I just happened to be stuck at a library for a few hours and thinking about my qt irish coworker at the same time so things worked out as they did.

Well the plan probably isn't going to work, but you made a good choice in reading material so you have that.

Unless she's Veeky Forums you'd probably be better off watching Father Ted to impress her.

Probably my favourite Joyce. Although the sermon chapter in Portrait is amazing too.

"An Encounter" is underrated

>Southsider

I just started this and read The Sisters. Problem is I am completely clueless about Ireland's history. Is it pointless to read this if I know nothing about Ireland?

If anything, just keep reading for the prose

lol what a pleb, Dublin 6 is where its at

feck of knacker

>imblying

i thought so too but i got one and it looks better in person

i read it but didn't understand why it's supposed to be great, pls explain

Absolutely no. All stories hit me hard and I am not very aware of Ireland's history as well. I guess the cult and references to the city are just a bonus to those who are familiar with the city.

hahaha, this is a better piece of writing than 90% of the stuff on Veeky Forums
even ends with a punchline

it's pasta

The Sisters is one of the more puzzling ones. It took me my second read to actually get a grasp on it. There are only a few (ivy day/a mother) that have Irish themes, knowing the general spirit of Ireland's separatists is enough.

Did anyone else /feel/ the epiphany at the end of Araby? I read that shit at a complicated time romantically and it fucked me up

You go into it thinking it's a collection of unrelated short stories, but each one represents, in sequence of age, universally-relatable realizations that everyone arrives at once they reach that point in life. It's a snapshot of human life at each stage, and the specific minute details that Joyce focuses on makes it feel as you live intimately with each character.

Also, re-read the ending of The Dead.

i got that but i don't see how that's anything amazing

what do you mean about the ending?

If not for anything else, the prose - especially the last paragraph - is some of the best in the English language.

Idk what to tell you my man, what do you think is a great book?

> A Little Cloud
> Counterparts
> A Painful Case

I swear this book gave me a full-on existential crisis. Thanks Joyce.

I agree, the ending of 'The Dead' is fucking magnificent, as soon as they step into that hotel room until the end is perfection.

idk, i've only read about 30 real books outside of school
the best one i've read so far has to be Moby-Dick

Come on now it's a great concept, and it's executed as well as it possibly could be.

>Being from dublin
You do realize the rest of country hates you, jackeen

What's a real book?

No, but it will help a lot. Read a version with annotations

better if you change 'remember that it's a novel!' to 'don't forget that it's a novel!'

one that isn't for kids or YA