Everybody spends their time on here pretending to know stuff they don't and shitposting...

Everybody spends their time on here pretending to know stuff they don't and shitposting. Let's change it up and talk about that which we don't know much and would like to learn more. For me I've read almost no modern philosophy. Everyone on here talks about Zizek and Peterson (their names might be wrong but you probably know who I'm talking about)
Pic unrelated

i really, really want to actually read finnegans wake

it's not that no one knows what they're talking about, it's that the medium of this website doesn't give any incentive to post a 5000 word meditation on a literary or philosophical topic. I'm fairly confident that many people here would be able to do the research required and have the thinking capacity to write something insightful and interesting which could lead to stimulating conversations. However, the way this website works is that someone posts something visual and then one reacts quickly to it.

if someone posts some big ass thing, no one is gonna read it, i know i'm sure as hell not and i wouldnt expect anyone else to, moreover, ten seconds after you post it the thread could get deleted to make space for a youtube advertisement, why bother? if i wanted to write long asspained crap after a bunch of tedious research i'd sign up for a masters

I know a few things, and every time I've seen people talk about those few things they take many things out of context and misconstrue them. So they definitely know a little bit about them, but not enough to talk intelligently about them

Then do it?

>Doing things you want to do
Tryhard

Veeky Forums is just for arguing, even in threads where i've done all the reading and know what i'm talking about i still say dumbshit because there is no point trying to make an effort post when the other side will just be like "lol no u"

i don't have time for that shit man, and all the background material
i'm saving it for when i'm forty and have nothing better to do

That's true, but isn't there the self satisfaction of presenting a good argument? Isn't it a personal lesson in discourse that onlookers will be able to take away not only meaning but manner and in doing so contribute to a more educated society?
Probably not

dude if i'm gonna write quality content i'll put it on a blog owned by me, not create free content for some stupid jap

Do you know any websites with insightful discussions that didn't end up with cocksucking circlejerks? With a broad comunity open for these conversations? I'm curious, I don't know any.

they tend to be slow as hell because writing big long carefully reasoned and researched shit takes a lot of time and quite frankly there percentage of internet users capable of it are a small percent anyways, meanwhile any angry gamer dweeb can pop in here and call foucault a fag or whatever

>isn't there the self satisfaction of presenting a good argument
I don't get satisfaction out of trying to finely articulate an idea for 20-30 minutes while it gets ignored, misinterpreted, or shitposted in response. Satisfaction would arise out it branching into a worthwhile, meaningful discussion, which it almost invariably never does. Veeky Forums is high-octane and people would rather entice (You)s from ignorant shitposts because it's far easier and faster to do so. It is the low-hanging fruit of achieving "validation" (where validation is simply acknowledgment) so to say.

Read Agamben. Homo Sacer is a good book.

Being a proud "rhetorician" on the internet just means you're an insufferable and argumentative loser in all likelihood.

I'd point out that in real life good literary discussion happens every day throughout the world but then someone would bully me for using "le outside" meme ...

The majority of Veeky Forums are lurkers and post just on the bits they know, of course you won't get as much intelligent replies you want. This is why reading groups exists on Veeky Forums, but truth be told, you need a beginner's reading club here because most lurkers ain't there yet.

Speaking for myself, I am categorizing an ebook collection as to know what entails each book. Actually, this part is done and the only part left is the Classics (in philosophy, economics, etc).

Judith Butler, agamben, francesco masci or guys like deleuze are some famous "modern" philosophers (which means philosophers who are still alive ?) Could be interesting to read some philosophy about the internet too, if anyone has names

I'd like to be able to read Wittgenstein and Heidegger but I'm not even ready to read Spinoza or Hegel yet. I've read presocratics, Plato, Kant, Schop, Nietzsche, etc. What do?

this websites demands a certain kind of wittiness and not necessarily substantial knowledge about a topic. to be a master of Veeky Forums, those two things, wit and knowledge, converge into one original meme

I didn't understand anything of Wittgenstein neither, but some post-WWII germans are interesting and easier to read than Heidegger (Arendt, Benjamin, Adorno)