Current Reads

Get comfy. My college had a power outage, so no school tommorow for me. Post what you guys are currently reading (with timestamp)

Bump

Nice, how is it so far? Also, noticed, you live East Coast. Did the storm affect you at all?

Enjoying it so far, a little over halfway through. Set in the late 19th/early 20th century, one of my favorite periods to read about.

Yes, the storm took down many trees in my area and there was mild flooding, but nothing too bad.

any book that purports to explain all of world history by means of a dyadic metaphor is bullshit

Yeah, that’s a cool time period as well. When I finish these two books I’ll check that one out.

Glad to hear you are alright.

Sorry to hear that! Not trying to argue with you, but do you have any alternatives to these books, that would be worth reading? I’m open to all suggestions

>tommorow
you need to go anyway if that's how you spell tomorrow

Cool! Noticed the Greek bust on the front, really like the aesthetic. What’s it about? How are you liking it?

Sorry I’m phoneposting, and I’m too lazy to check what I’m posting. Anyway, so you have any recommendations for the thread?

Just started reading this year. I've read Socrates, Locke, and Berkeley, liked Berkeley the most. I've also read Remains of Day and Solaris, liked them both.

I'm currently reading Berkeley's Theory of Vision and it's very entertaining.

Tell me what to read next.

Dude Socrates is my favorite writer

It's about how we ought to revert back to aristotelian ethics because when the Enlightenment movement rejected Aristotle's teleology by vehicle of secular rejection—also because Protestantism denied that reason could comprehend our telos, our true end—, it doomed philosophers to come up with way to create a justification for our morality, moral rules with authority, from human nature.

So from the 18th century on, we've been left with moral rules but no true end for them to reach, an end which is the whole reason to obey such moral injunctions.

Go Aristotelian ethics with Union with God as the true desired end of Man's potentiality
So Thomism and Catholicism baby

You're too lazy to check that the rootword "morrow" is not spelled with two Ms? Who exactly let you in university?

It's kind of similar to this

I right the right one for a few hours already. Now I will read the left one before I go play some lord of the rings online

I saw that Peter Kreeft has a book called "Back to Virtue," and I'm not sure whether that deals with the same philosophical topics that Macintyre does in After Virtue. Would you know? Have you read it?

I haven't read it so I couldn't say

it's all good

seeing "After Virtue" and "Back to Virtue" got me thinkin

how is it? is it chronological? or does it jump around?

Libra by DeLillo. Read White Noise before that as my first book of his. Keen to also read Mao II and Underworld. But I think after Libra I should read something in between so I don't get sick of his style, awesome as it is.

Looking to read some Gass or The Crying of Lot 49 next. I read 49 a year or two ago but have basically forgotten it.

It's chronological starting with Stalin as a boy in Georgia and his family/education, but the focal point of Stalin takes an early backseat to the establishing the sociopolitical circumstances of the Tsardom/social unrest leading up to the Bolshevik coup for the first few hundred pages (and by that token does still have a lot of jumping around to do in order to cover so many bases), and even through Lenin's reign. But once Lenin dies and Stalin is in the hot seat it naturally deals with him a lot more since he's at that point actually in the spotlight and not merely in something of a sideline role, so to say. I was already familiar with a lot of the autocratic Russia stuff from a Lenin bio, obviously from a different angle however, but I got this primarily out of interest for the second volume (and eventual third, whenever it comes out). And it would just be absolutely disgusting to only read half of a biography about someone.

Kant m, I think you’d like, given the people you’ve read. What’s your favorite book that you have read so far out of all of them?

That’s deep, hope you enjoy!

Tbh if his school is having power outages it can't be that good of a uni

Thanks feller

>Socrates

Don't you mean Plato?

Sorry I really am new. I meant Descartes. I’ve never taken any philosophy classes so the names and backgrounds are still a bit of a blur.
New Theory of Vision has been the most interesting so far. Remains of Day was very entertaining throughout.

Sleep Has His House, by Anna Kavan. I love it so far.

>really like the aesthetic

I just finished Libra today, what do you think about it? All I have to say is that writers like don delillo can write about anything in existence and make it sound ominous and special.

Bump