Books that everyone should read for a healthier society

You are the minister of education.
A law has given you the authority and obligation to select 4 books about philosophy as required reading for all childrens primary education. However, there are rules
if, say, two books of the selected ones are part of anarchist philosophy, then two books must be criticism of anarchist philosophy. If two books are about the case for natural law, then two must be for the case of positive law. ie, you cannot pick biased sets of books, it must be rounded out.

Most primary school children won't be able to understand most philosophy. Best bet is a short intro into the main topics of philosophy to let them know that the subject exists and that there are different ideas than the dogma of the day.

>Most primary school children won't be able to understand most philosophy
wrong. logic and democratic duty were traditionally part of a young nobles education.

I would say
"1984" Orwell
"We" Zamyatin
"Brave new world" Huxley
"Starship troopers" Heinlein
Aren't hard read, they're entertaining and portray different ideologies which can be expanded upon by a good tutor.

And they didn't get it.

they did. hellenistic societies had extremely politically educated citizens

Is politics philosophy though?

yes

Phenomenology of Spirit
Das Kapital
Communist Manifesto
Blueprint for Revolution.

Der Einzige und sein Eigentum by Stirner
Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution by Kropotkin
The Magic Mountain by T. Mann
Anti-Seneca by La Mettrie

>"We" Zamyatin
Jesus Christ, I have not heard of that book in ages!

The Collected Works of the Marquis de Sade
The Unique One and His Property
Anti-Justine
Anti-Machiavelli

enjoy ;)

Killua!

DONALD TRUMP will make Hunter x Hunter REAL.

>then two books must be criticism of anarchist philosophy
Literally are there any good ones? Ones that really understand what anarchy is?
I'm legitimately curious.

are there any good arguments for it in the first place?

bmp

At least two of the four books will be pointless.
From the entire breadth of human thought you get to pick four books, and you limit them to two positions and their counter-positions.
Suppose I would suggest Ibsen's Peer Gynt: What would you have me pick as a counter? Is there even anything that could fill that role? On what basis would you determine it?
Or would you have me simply not pick Peer Gynt?

If these are the rules, it is a rather pointless exercise.

I was going to pick at least book I of Seneca's Letters to Lucilius, not really because I agree with what he says, but because I think it could further a lot of people's thinking to be exposed to such ideas, and because the format and style make it very accessible.
Please red-pill me on Anti-Seneca, though

The Bible
Mere Christianity
The Quran
Beyond Mere Christianity

>Bible and Quran as contraries
no

De vita beata (seneca)
De brevitate vitae (seneca)
Ta eis heauton (aurel)
Mein Kampf (hitler)
Narziß und Goldmund (hesse)
Antifragility (taleb)

The Bible
The Quran
The Analects
Heaven and Hell

Why Starship Troopers? Never read it, but what purpose does it serve, what does it teach about man?

No amount of linguistical proliferation will have a tangible effect on how a person acts in the world, unless it was already in accord with their pre-destined behavioral pattern.

none of these are philosophy books. also are you implying starship troopers is a counterargument to 1984? cause otherwise these books are VERY biased

insanity and easily disproven

It's really no surprise to me that a revolutionary communist has a complete lack of reading comprehension.

what? he posted das kapital, it's clear he only included marx as a coutnerbalance

Hobbes?

Dude, the suits are vaginas.

>If we accept this world as the only real one, and that all we are and all we do is predetermined by the mechanical laws of nature, what will become of our morals, what will be the meaning of life? How can we find happiness in a world like that?
>Julien Offray de la Mettrie (1709-51) explores these issues, drawing on his experience and training in medicine. His conclusions were too radical even for his fellow Enlightenment thinkers; Voltaire once wrote that "there's a great difference between fighting the superstitions of mankind, and breaking all social bonds and the fetters of virtue. La Mettrie would have been dangerous if he hadn't been completely insane." (Voltaire, Letter MDCCCIII, 27 Jan. 1752).

This sounds pretty dull but in reality he was a extremely sharp thinker. Basically, he is a more psychological version of Stirner (and he's more entertaining, too). His points about happiness aim towards the elemination of a irrational super-ego (and he completely destroys Seneca, too).

Just look how happy he is in this pic.

applied philosophy

fuck your rules
The Limits Of Growth
The Structure of Scientific Revolutions
Philosophical Investigations
How To Win Friends And Influence People ;^)

You can choose a topic that has four different positions. That's how the political charts work

What's the significance of the Quran?

I highly doubt they mean it as a contrary considering analects was chosen

the Quran is a beautiful corollary to the bible that compliments its texts while offering a slightly different take on is theological underpinnings. That is why I also chose Heaven and Hell, which advances a vastly different interpretation of the same cosmology but can be used to link each text and worldview, albeit esoterically; it also offers a lifestyle based on love of the divine and love of one's neighbor. While the Analects are ambiguous with concern to the divine, it is a set of moral teachings grounded in societal observations and etiquette which can be used to center one's focus when applying the moral teachings from them previous texts.

>"We" Zamyatin
Did an assignment worth 30% of my grade on that book in grade 12 and goddamn thank you Yvgemy, that book is great for analytical essays on symbolism

>Ibsen's Peer Gynt
philosophy books.

I think he meant that most commies (or marxists in general) are obsessed with theory but are usualli quite bad at comprehending this theory, even if they have some deeper understading of it. All three parts of Das kapital whould be pretty much enough material to understand the marxist perspective, instead he started the list with Hegel. Ok you could argue that putting The whealth of nations by Adam Smith in there, so people understand what Marx based much of his economic theories on, but instead he put the manifesto on the list. To much input that isn´t required. And why blueprint of the revolution is on there is beyond me, I suspect it was used a filler.

>they name me minister of education
The country is fucked no matter what I pick

Crazier ministers of education have existed than you my friend

I'm more concerned who the hell they picked as minister of war

a random user on /k/

"Rhetoric" by Aristotle.
"Ab vrbe condita" by Titus Livius.
"The Holy Bible".
"Republic" by Plato.

That's all you need to get started on life.

none because i dont believe in any universal education top-down utopia

I don't see how that's related

idk about 4, but everyone should at least have to read Rilke's "letters to a young poet"

I don't mean to sound rude but your understanding of a well balanced healthy society is fucking horrendous and borderline centrist retardation, try making marxism and neoliberal capitalism as both equally studied subjects and we'll see how good that goes, there is a reason a society's education should be homogeneous and strictly reflecting it's current state of affairs
>inb4 marxism is taught in academia
only in meme degrees, you'll never actually see it taught in depth in an economics class because it explicitly advocates for revolution

Hopefully not one of the /x/ crossposters; I don't want to go to war with the Skinwalkers.

>How To Win Friends And Influence People
B R A I N L E T

self help books aren't as bad as you think, society would benefit if everyone read one.

they're really bad

thinking everyone should be educated especially with fake knowledge is a sign of low intelligence

this thread is specifically about books the masses should read

>easily disproven
The stage is yours friendo, prove me wrong.

What a great cover design.

God damnit.

>philosophy
>ages 6-12

You're a fucking moron for suggesting that anyone in the teaching pool is capable of teaching children any kind of philosophy. stick to bluepilling college students, OP, they're desperate to feel smart.

I'll continue on with the broader topic of "four books for kids 6-12 for a healthier society":

The Hobbit
A Wizard of Earthsea
Fahrenheit 451
Animal Farm

if you disagree with any of these choices fight me bitch

Western Philosophy specifically started with the Greeks who posited that the goal of philosophy was to make you more able to "live the good life". Self help books are Veeky Forumscore.

>I don't mean to sound rude but your understanding of a well balanced healthy society is fucking horrendous and borderline centrist retardation
huh? but I didn't make any statements of how a society should function.

and they shouldn't be reading pseudoscience like that, was anons point

Your post has driven me to elaborate, something I wouldn't have done without it. Your Linguistical proliferation has had an undeniable, tangible effect on my actions upon the world, beyond my predisposed behavioral patterns

Lord of the flies.
/thread

>ages 6-12
in my country, your primary education is ages 5-6 to 15-16. do you not have ten years of schooling?

to be honest I put that there just so I could say this

yes but the greeks meticulously argued their case through debates, and encourages scrutiny. how to win and bla bla is just feelgood nonsense, not the work of a smart man surrounded by critical scholars in a society where debate was the norm

1. Undoing Gender
2. the New Jim Crow
3. My Sister is a Happy Ghost!
And finally the magnum opus
4. Daddy’s New Roommate

Unfair list: The Atlas of Reality: A Comprehensive Guide to Metaphysics; The Sociology of Philosophies: A Global Theory of Intellectual Change; Alan Ryan On Politics; Arts and Ideas.

>Fair list: New Science, The Book of the Courtier, Les Caractères, Pragmatism: A New Name for Some Old Ways of Thinking,

>The 120 Days of Sodom-Marquis De Sade
>Hogg Samuel R. Delaney
>Space Raptor Butt Invasion-Chuck Tingle
>A Faggots Life, Examined-OP

Starship Troopers is Heinlein's argument for a militarily strong society that restricts voting only to those who have performed civil service in some form for at least four years (usually in military). He thinks liberal institutions like a democracy can only be protected long term if every single person voting understands how to make decisions for the collective good.

It's a good book that presents a fair argument for that type of society. It's not a perfect or fully convincing argument, but if it's taught by the right person and you tack on some supplemental reading middle/high schoolers would get a lot out of it.

>Voltaire once wrote that "there's a great difference between fighting the superstitions of mankind, and breaking all social bonds and the fetters of virtue.

Alright, I'm sold. Nothing gets me interested in a book like a strong admonition by a respectable figure.

Socrates' The Republic
St. Augustine's Confessions
Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Deleuze's Capitalism and Schizophrenia

I remove compulsory education

>implying the sub-literate

Pizzaguy's Memoirs

gee I wonder why they're

Genetic, developmental but first and foremost spiritual inferiority.

>Anti-Seneca by La Mettrie
What's this? Did he talk shit about my man Seneca?