Need help Veeky Forums

post stuff from books that helped with your depressed; quotes, ideas, anything

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LO1mTELoj6o
warosu.org/lit/thread/S7104888#p7105027
desuarchive.org/r9k/thread/26771426/#26775204
psychiatrictimes.com/bipolar-disorder/bupropion-your-no-1-antidepressant-choice
mdedge.com/currentpsychiatry/article/64738/anxiety-disorders/does-bupropion-exacerbate-anxiety
independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/syria-civil-war-the-israeli-hospitals-treating-wounded-soldiers-from-the-violence-across-the-border-10121010.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

*depression, you can tell I'm depressed by how low effort my post is

there is no escape from your suffering
- my dad's suicide note

you bastard

>"We are at the bottom of the pit, you know. And our fate is interesting. Of course the misery is great, too. But this is how I see it: this is a chance in a lifetime. I can't afford to miss this. Do you really want to spend your entire lives praying for longevity? We were born in order to die! Whoever is with me, come to the battlefield tomorrow morning. Whoever is not, just stay wherever you are and watch me win it!"
— Oda Nobunaga, just before leading an army a quarter the size of Imagawa's 25,000-man force and winning

I wish I had a war to die in like that, thanks user

What a stupid idea. If you want to die for nothing so bad then wouldn't it make sense for one to just go ahead and do it?

There was never any reason to live, why are you just now worried about it?
Also this youtube.com/watch?v=LO1mTELoj6o

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Get this book OP. You're using literature either as an escape or a way to validate your feelings. Nothing wrong with those things, but it's not what's going to help you right now.

"What, if some day or night a semen demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more' ... Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the jizz prism who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered her: 'You are a goddess and never have I heard anything more divine. Who are you? Sauce pls nao!"

~ Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, The Gay Science of rejecting Jezebels

Depends on the war, old-fashioned war with swords and such would be cool.

hahaha thanks user. That was great.

I'll check it out user

who dis

me
wanna be my bf?

yes bby, what’s your name?

wow i havent seen this in 10 fucking years thanks

This

If you want to read something that makes you feel validated or understood in your depression, go for it, but supplement it with self help shit too. There's a lot of literature that fetishizes feeling like shit and it becomes easy to get stuck in a nihilistic or anti-natalistic worldview when you make reading depressing books your main hobby.

If you want to feel like you aren't alone in what you're experiencing, read Dostoevsky, Schopenhauer, Camus

If you want something that will make you feel better or more motivated, try Thus Spoke Zarathustra or Prometheus Rising

warosu.org/lit/thread/S7104888#p7105027

desuarchive.org/r9k/thread/26771426/#26775204

It might be helpful to re-read some portions of Thus Spoke, I remember it took me out of my last depression entirely. Music I think is more a culprit, been listening to depressing shit lately. Need to stop.

ahaha no problem man

thanks for the lulz

the antidepressant section of the BNF.

Get on them happy pills

Yeah music will fuck you up more than any book
Listen to funk and math rock they're pretty upbeat

good luck dude

can you get b& if there's no nipples showing?

I'm unironically afraid of antidepressants, I've taken stuff in the past but it actually made things worse.

they generally make you feel worse for a couple of weeks and don't take full effect till about 8 weeks

1) sleep better
2) eat better
3) MOST IMPORTANT: do 30min of cardio every day
it's incredible what a difference it can make

to answer your question, reading the Bell Jar made me realize what a little bitch I was being and helped to move me out of a depressive era of my life

they then wear off in effectiveness and you have bouts of suicidal ideation and extreme existential panic

I was really into Mongolian war songs and marching songs for awhile, but then I made a playlist for a girl who I got coffee with (she ignored my text yesterday, hence, some of my sadness) but yeah, I delved back into a bunch of sad tunes I used to like to make a solid playlist, big mistake; making the playlist for her while being ignored by her, haha fml

anyways, any particular math rock bands?

Thanks for the advice user, much appreciated
How did the Bell Jar make you come to that realization?

ssri's didn't work for me. made me feel as you described. snri's are a god send.

Unfortunately ssri's are the first port of call when doctors prescribe them

The Myth of Sisyphus is pretty good

Siddharta by Herman Hesse - I've read it when I was in pretty bad shape and it was beautiful and it somehow made me feel better and have a more positive look at life, at least briefly after finishing it

Also I'd recommend you picking a book on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (one that is more practical) and trying it out a bit, cause it is pretty easy to do it by yourself and it's good/helps
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Dummies is good tbqh and easy to find online :)

Strawberry Girls
Sithu Aye
Giraffes? Giraffes!
CHON
Intervals

reading marcel proust in depth

“There are very few moments in a man's existence when he experiences so much ludicrous distress, or meets with so little charitable commiseration, as when he is in pursuit of his own hat.”
― Charles Dickens, The Pickwick Papers.

none of them work
brainlet
you too

I'm not who you replied to, but nevertheless fuck off. You are an example of the worst Veeky Forums has to offer. Your post says more about you than to those you're responding to. It says that you are afraid of failure, and that you are probably a coward.

keep it Veeky Forums user

That’s interesting, because I think the Bell Jar just made me even more depressed (because I think it just pushed me even more into the depressed mindset).

I have no idea why many doctors still use SSRIs as their first-line antidepressant instead of Wellbutrin

COME ON YOU APES, YOU WANNA LIVE FOREVER?

>Doctors should just use the med that happened to work for me, because my anecdotal experience is more informative than mountains of research

ease off the tofu buddy

>j-just imagine yourself happy, bro

Literally changed my life. Wtf I’m not depressed anymore.

i'm a narcissist not a doctor

No, they should use a drug that clinical studies have shown to have a similar efficacy without undesirable side effects like sexual dysfunction and weight gain.
Doctors don't always prescribe drugs based on the amount of research, you know. Older ones especially are often less comfortable prescribing newer, potentially better medication. Doctors also sometimes see pharmaceutical reps, who market their drugs aggressively.

psychiatrictimes.com/bipolar-disorder/bupropion-your-no-1-antidepressant-choice

>I break away from all conventions that do not lead to my earthly success and happiness.

I cringe at it nowadays, but if I didn't go through an edgelord phase I'd be much more of an insecure faggot.

read Emil Cioran

this for a start

sup, jordan b peterson
how many books did you sold already?

>potentially better
also potentially worse

didnt you see what happened with risperidone

I feel like I'm gonna snap soon, is there a way back from feeling so fucking removed from everything?

Are you implying Wellbutrin is this drug without bad side effects? Because that’s not true. It has a very high chance of increasing an anxiety. Given that most depressed people also struggle with anxiety, this makes it a poor first choice.

If you have Netflix...

Watch the Ken Burns series on the Roosevelts. The first episode quotes Teddy extensively, and I got a burst of energy from how that genuine maniac overcame depression. The outstanding quote is "Get action. Be sane."

>that audible shilling

My depressed does not need helped why would I do that

>most depressed people have anxiety
What a load of shit. Wellbutrin is nice it is related to the phenethylamines (e.g. it is low grade speed)

Your first priority should be getting off Veeky Forums. Do you think it's a coincidence that so many people here are depressed? This place genuinely isn't good for you.

Nothing is free from side effects, but they're a lot more tolerable for many than standard antidepressants. And its reputation as an anxiogenic is overblown: mdedge.com/currentpsychiatry/article/64738/anxiety-disorders/does-bupropion-exacerbate-anxiety

This desu

Teddy's transformation from sickly child into model masculine role model really is super inspiring. He molded himself into what he wanted to be through sheer force of will.

Working out has helped my depression more than any book ever could.

>Some day, when you are old and wrinkled and ugly, when thought has seared your forehead with its lines, and passion branded your lips with its hideous fires, you will feel it, you will feel it terribly. Now, wherever you go, you charm the world. Will it always be so? . . . You have a wonderfully beautiful face, Mr. Gray. Don't frown. You have. And beauty is a form of genius -- is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation. It is of the great facts of the world, like sunlight, or spring-time, or the reflection in dark waters of that silver shell we call the moon. It cannot be questioned. It has its divine right of sovereignty. It makes princes of those who have it. You smile? Ah! when you have lost it you won't smile. . . . People say sometimes that beauty is only superficial. That may be so, but at least it is not so superficial as thought is. To me, beauty is the wonder of wonders. It is only shallow people who do not judge by appearances. The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible. . . . Yes, Mr. Gray, the gods have been good to you. But what the gods give they quickly take away. You have only a few years in which to live really, perfectly, and fully. When your youth goes, your beauty will go with it, and then you will suddenly discover that there are no triumphs left for you, or have to content yourself with those mean triumphs that the memory of your past will make more bitter than defeats. Every month as it wanes brings you nearer to something dreadful. Time is jealous of you, and wars against your lilies and your roses. You will become sallow, and hollow-cheeked, and dull-eyed. You will suffer horribly.... Ah! realize your youth while you have it. Don't squander the gold of your days, listening to the tedious, trying to improve the hopeless failure, or giving away your life to the ignorant, the common, and the vulgar. These are the sickly aims, the false ideals, of our age. Live! Live the wonderful life that is in you! Let nothing be lost upon you. Be always searching for new sensations. Be afraid of nothing. . . . A new Hedonism -- that is what our century wants. You might be its visible symbol

me too, goy, me too

somewhere on the internet, there is a post telling people to spam Veeky Forums with tits/feet/ass if they want to get recommendations on self-help books

Listen to Kool and The Gang user

this and regular sleep singlehandely cured my depression and anxeity
changed my personlity from INTP to ENTP

I thought Fifty Shades of Gray was a shitty book wtf this is amazing im gonna download it now

This book made me want to kill myself. Made me feel like something is wrong with me.

>Your first priority should be getting off Veeky Forums.
If only it were that easy.

>I wish I had a war to die in like that, thanks user
move to Syria and fight global capitalism with ISIS

And it is stunning

Do you think that's funny you fucking mong? God, I can just imagine your sticky fingers typing that, pushing the breadcrumbs away from your filthy keyboard, as you're typing your amusing maymay, desperately looking for the approval of your online buddies, so that when you go to bed tonight you might feel a speck of self-worth to counterbalance the deep depression that you're in because deep down, on a fundamental level you know that you have never truly made anyone laugh or even smile, you know that your life is passing away, unnoticed by the world, and you feel like an extra, like a decor, merely an observer to other people's lives, until you go back on Veeky Forums again and start shitposting your vile, disgusting, and, what's worst of all, deeply unfunny garbage, so that we can share in your toxicity, we can drown in your ineptitude, we can catch a glimpse of what it is like to be ignored, and shamed, and disregarded, well, let me tell you, you're transparent, anyone can see you for what you are, that shroud of anonymity doesn't hide you anymore, but I'm sure you'll tell yourself something nice, something soothing so that your life becomes at least somewhat bearable, and so that you can come back here tomorrow and do the same thing again.

Why?

>If you want a safe compass to guide you through life, and to banish all doubt as to the right way of looking at it, you cannot do better than accustom yourself to regard this world as a penitentiary, a sort of a penal colony. . . .

>If you accustom yourself to this view of life you will regulate your expectations accordingly, and cease to look upon all its disagreeable incidents, great and small, its sufferings, its worries, its misery, as anything unusual or irregular; nay, you will find that everything is as it should be, in a world where each of us pays the penalty of existence in his own peculiar way. Amongst the evils of a penal colony is the society of those who form it; and if the reader is worthy of better company, he will need no words from me to remind him of what he has to put up with at present. If he has a soul above the common, or if he is a man of genius, he will occasionally feel like some noble prisoner of state, condemned to work in the galleys with common criminals; and he will follow his example and try to isolate himself.

>In general, however, it should be said that this view of life will enable us to contemplate the so-called imperfections of the great majority of men, their moral and intellectual deficiencies and the resulting base type of countenance, without any surprise, to say nothing of indignation; for we shall never cease to reflect where we are, and that the men about us are beings conceived and born in sin, and living to atone for it. That is what Christianity means in speaking of the sinful nature of man.

>Pardon's the word to all! Whatever folly men commit, be their shortcomings or their vices what they may, let us exercise forbearance; remembering that when these faults appear in others, it is our follies and vices that we behold. They are the shortcomings of humanity, to which we belong; whose faults, one and all, we share; yes, even those very faults at which we now wax so indignant, merely because they have not yet appeared in ourselves. They are faults that do not lie on the surface. But they exist down there in the depths of our nature; and should anything call them forth, they will come and show themselves, just as we now see them in others. One man, it is true, may have faults that are absent in his fellow; and it is undeniable that the sum total of bad qualities is in some cases very large; for the difference of individuality between man and man passes all measure.

>In fact, the conviction that the world and man is something that had better not have been, is of a kind to fill us with indulgence towards one another. Nay, from this point of view, we might well consider the proper form of address to be, not Monsieur, Sir, mein Herr, but my fellow-sufferer, Soci malorum, compagnon de miseres! This may perhaps sound strange, but it is in keeping with the facts; it puts others in a right light; and it reminds us of that which is after all the most necessary thing in life-the tolerance, patience, regard, and love of neighbor, of which everyone stands in need, and which, therefore, every man owes to his fellow.

She kind of looks like Ariana Marie. She isn't, but close enough.

don't listen to anyone else and trust your gut on this user, you should be. They almost cost me my life

unironically this, jesus fuck

sauce? name?

Some user posted a passage from a Hesse novel bout the young fellow and the doctor that one fucked me up in a good way, got me to be more empathetic.
Also gravity's rainbow and portrait of the artist made me give less of a fuck for little things that used to make me anxious, I'm more relaxed now
Meditation helped me go from sad, nhilistic intp to infp, and i don't feel at all lonely

>I wish I had a war to die in like that
Stand fast, brother. Destiny is on the march.

>move to Syria and fight global capitalism with ISIS
>global capitalism isn't Jewish
>ISIS isn't Jewish controlled
independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/syria-civil-war-the-israeli-hospitals-treating-wounded-soldiers-from-the-violence-across-the-border-10121010.html

>I've taken stuff in the past but it actually made things worse.
>Thinking they were supposed to make you better.
Pottery. Avoid the prescribed happy pills, anons. The Establishment is not your friend.

Nah, help Kurds secure a sovereign state. All whilst killing Islamists/ISIS, Western mercenaries, Turkroaches, and other Kurds.

>he thinks merit-dictated medicine and supporting research/industry that has likely saved or assisted his life dozens times, although largely indirectly, is 'not your friend'
It's not, but it's some evil force out to get you either. It is ambivalent and not monolithic. While they're not for everyone, and definitely over-prescribed. They will help the majority of people, as shown by clinical trials and patient satisfaction. Though they're not the solution, they can be part of the solution. Instead of jumping onto the scams of non-establishment treatment (which all unfortunately are), you should actually learn and think for yourself. Or avoid 'treatment' and aim elsewhere, like garnering spirituality.

evangelion

'' As if because he wasn't understanded, they thought he was unable to understand them''
Franz Kafka The Metamorphosis

May not be exactly this since I didn' t read it in english

Shit tfw I wrote understanded

the bible

Yeah I related to shinji so much he is like a bro and I don't hate or meme him

What if you don’t have to get rid of depression to live a values-based life? What if living a values-based life is the way to get rid of depression?