Liberal Arts

>go to state uni
>major in philosophy
>Ancient Philosophy: "Parmenides and Plato are proto-logic. Aristotle is proto-science."
>Modern Philosophy: "medieval philosophy was bullshit and then this guy named Descartes was like 'what if there's a demon?'"
>Metaphysics: "... so basically that's why continental statements are unclear and you should just be analytic..."
>Logic: "We wuz computer scientists and shit"
>Ethics: "hmmm... thought experiments..."
>Epistemology: "Idunnonuffin lmao"
Why does this shit cost $10,000 a year?

because humans were a complete mistake, on the level of the platypus or even the flying squirrel

>state uni
>isn't free and doesn't have rigorous admissions process so you share class with dumbfucks
Americucks, everyone

Retard tier english, faggot.

Or the bat. Mammals were a mistake (half mammal in the platypus' case)

>he fell for the being an american meme

hey, it could be worse, at least it's not feminism

>denigrating the noble gazelle
we have a pleb on our hands

>>go to state uni
There's your mistake.
Should've gone to a CC, get that 4.0 and transfer to Harvard.

Or meninism.

Does this actually happen or is it just a meme? CC's have such fucking puerile programs the hardest thing to do is keep your mouth shut when professors say things like, "I've never read Schopenhauer, but I wouldn't recommend him to any of my students, because he's a pessimist." Just fucking shoot me now, jesus

It is way better than getting your ass fucked by debt and paying AT LEAST 12k extra in tuition (in CA). As well you can always apply for transfer to the Ivy, but it is not guaranteed either (on both sides as high school and CC).

Just score well on whatever test they have in your local CC so you don't get in remedial stuff, since unless you live in Pennsylvania, CC are worth it and especially on the majority white states and cities.

t. Going to CC and was once in a certain city that is 90+% white.

Oh and adding that most of the time if you live in a big city and it has both a state uni AND CC, the professors will most likely teach on both.
And wouldn't recommend CC on a majority nigger zone like the most recent CC in CA (Compton Community College or something like that).

checked

I'm sad that you're in such a shit liberal arts programme.

I did that, though I ended up NESCAC. I'll tell you first that the advisers are shit and can fuck you over if you're not paying attention. It's good to know what you're going into so you can take electives that will be useful when you transfer (look at general distribution requirements as well as the stuff in your major). I got to max out transfer credits which I didn't think was possible with some of the piss easy courses I took. But keep on the lookout for teachers who know their shit because they're clamoring for students that actually care. the professors tend to be either genuine people who got fucked over by academia, or less ambitious types. There was nothing I'd call genuine incompetence. If you write competently any teacher will fall over themselves for you. Always take courses from full time faculty or at least adjuncts who have been there a while. Don't underestimate classes; there was a public speaking requirement which I thought was ridiculous until I took the class and realized it really should be a requirement. The student body is crap in entry level courses but beyond that it's pretty chill and the unpretentiousness can be a breath of fresh air, even though there's hardly anyone to talk about books with. That's what your pet professors are for.
tl;dr there are a few hurdles but it worked out for me.

oh also it's pretty much free if you're on the pell grant

yeah i did the same thing, went to cc and transferred to a public ivy - currently in a fully-funded grad program. mostly seconding this post

it sucks hearing about what i missed out on from my peers who went all four years, but now they're just starting to have to pay back their student loans (i don't have any) and that makes me feel better

Trust me user you didn't miss out
Every sheltered kid who goes off to college glorifies those years

>major in philosophy
>Why does this shit cost $10,000 a year?
Because retards such as yourself pay for it.

>tfw getting C's in all my classes
Can I still get into a good grad school if I can write well and score well on the GRE?

This isn't even remotely true, and implies that the "rigor" of "prestigious" universities is anything more, at this point, than ideological conditioning. First, consider that passing a 300 person, forced-curve lecture class is more intellectually demanding and requires more independent learning than a small liberal arts colloquium, while also providing a more objective measure of knowledge. State universities have the great privilege of numbers, meaning that if a student chooses not to apply themselves to study, there will be another ready to fill the gap instantly. The closest thing to a meritocracy that exists is a large American state university.

because people who understand the material as poorly as you are easily duped.

>Going to uni for anything other than STEM or medical
Money and time down the drain. Nobody in their right mind does it. That's why all lib arts majors are such brainlets.

What about Law?

>10k a year
>tfw americucks pay this much for shit education
>tfw my entire Bachelor degree in Philosophy is going to cost me 12-13k at most
>tfw I'm going to come out of Uni with no debts and leftover money

Forgot about legal, yeh. Business no, finance and econ yes. Also psychology and sociology have jobs that require degrees but they're both memes

The problem is thinking any degree will give you a career. Fuckers, knowledge is a tool and it's all worthless if you don't bother to use it.

I don't think there are any meninism classes except in fringe universities no one's ever heard of. Meanwhile they offer women's studies at my large state school with 50000 students. I think you're trying to create a parallel that isn't there but I don't know why.

give up

>it's all worthless if you don't bother to use it.
So... like not going to university?

Making condescending posts on Veeky Forums is more than enough use for knowledge.

I have no problem "missing out" cause it's mostly shenanigans I got into hanging out with my townie friends anyway. I'll never get the dorm experience but I'm not crying over not having a room to myself.

Collegiate here. I study so I can shitpost better.
Ya. It's mostly drug running and fucking sluts.

>university education is no more than an employment certificate
Just get an hvac licence bro that's where the jobs are

nobody in their right mind becomes a wagecuck in the first place

t. Philosifailures in denial

I promise I'm an intellectual it doesn't matter that I spend all day in a sweaty room with monkey brainlets welding airplane parts I have a rich interior life I swear!

where are all them Gregory Berrycone references?

In 2010, More fortune 500 CEOs never went to college than went to any Ivy. Harvard was tied with Mizzou. It's not about where you go to school, it's about how you think and make decisions. STEM is a bad pathway, because most people going into it think it's a magic ticket to an upper-middle class life. But if the map is not the territory, than statistics aren't even a crayon rendering. A mechanic with a head's-up plan and strong fiscal diligence has got a better future than many STEM grads. A philosophy major that knows going in that they will have to be resourseful and get creative to find financial stability will stand a greater chance in the long run than a business major that has no bigger thought than relying on his father's connections. On top of that, going into the STEM field just because it looks more certain is a terrible mindset for the young. 20 year-olds can handle more risk than any other segment of the workforce. Beginning your career by avoiding all risk practically guarantees that it will never go anywhere. It's not about the piece of paper.

father's connections go a long way desu

retarded rambling
one of the actual elements that goes into being a chief executive at a fortune 500 firm

I promise I'm an intellectual it doesn't matter that I spend all day reading and writing about other people's ideas, one day the scholarly world will hail me as a modern day Socrates I swear!

Idgaf ill study philosophy on my own time its just not worth it here to pay in the CHUD states. Some of you fags on here need to fucking humble yourselves though

>tfw used to think like this until I discovered degrees from continental Europe are considered worthless by most companies

>No no no it's never my fault no. It's always someone else
Quit your crying

your absurdist novella's side character?

dubs

>I've never actually had a job.
If it was all about parental connections, why would there be more from less selective schools?
If financial succes has more to do with familial connection than any tangible production, how do any major companies fail?
Only an idiot takes a secondary factor as the only factor.

Dat feel when leeeving med school with 0 debts

Don't listen to him, you can still cheat though

Not if you're from asia,south america or 'stralia nigga!

its not a secondary factory it is one of the primary factors, none of the things you said are strong guarantees of anything

its mostly being bored and having fake parties with people you don’t like, being a sociopath, having unprotected sex with girls cheating on their bf’s and cheating on tests. college is a repulsive joke

I tried to have le ebin "college experience" its basically exactly this. Now I have a single and never leave except for academic reasons and one meal a day by myself if unless I'm unlucky enough to run into someone I know, its alright.