/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg (embed)
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg (embed)
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg (embed)

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg (embed)
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg (embed)
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg (embed)
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg (embed)

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg (embed)

SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries:
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

b-ok.org/s/?q=Childhood's End
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abaia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erebus
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for sanderfag a hack

Second for the eternal master

Someone recommend me some sword-and-sorcery please.

>no thread questions
lets go with the standard
>what did you finish reading?
>what are you currently reading?

Any books with colored main characters in it? I'm getting tired of reading straight white male protagonists.

>malazan obligatory
took a 2 month break from the genre after finishing Memories of Ice, starting pic related sometime this week, wish me luck on my journey fellas

Binti and its sequel (or are all three books out by now?) by Nnedi Okorafor. The main character is a girl who's part of a minority culture (and yes she does have dark skin) struggling to find her place when her family is very traditional in some ways but she wants to go join an academy that's off-world.

It also involves a bunch of people being killed by aliens with tentacles that have sharp stingers.

It's pretty solid.

Dune
American Gods(you're better off with Anansi Boys tebehe)

Xenogenesis trilogy. Although it's more like "dude feminism lmao". Still top tier sci-fi, tho.

Finished Iron Dragons Daughter. It's okay but was dragging a bit for me in the middle.

Started The City and the City. Saw that the Brits are making a TV series about it due this year. Book is great so far.

Michael Moorcock's Elric

Downloads: b-ok.org/s/?q=Childhood's End

>interesting start
>not the greatest middle
>ending seemed to be waning
>mfw the last 30 pages

It's what everyone remembers about it isn't it? Like a decent dance that ends with an incredible flourish that leaves you grasping for air

>"this is the Childhood's End"
Wow, really Clarke?

Robert E. Howard
C.L. Moore
This:

Why is there so little fantasy that isn't written by woman worshipping soyboy cucks? I am sick of this.

>muh contemporary
There's literally thousands of fantasy books written by either dead or soon to be dead white men.

It truly is mystifying. I consider myself very traditionalist, but constantly politicizing absolutely everything is poison for the soul. Likewise, I try not to get too caught up worrying about non-'traditional' female representation, but the way they always go about injecting it into everything it is so paradoxically contrary to what they claim to believe. Every female protagonist of this new wave of fantasy/scifi is always written as if they are some amazing outlier that women could never aspire to. If it's not that, it's a female character that's generally written by a European, male author who's introduced as simply a matter of pseudo-religious sacrament, as if there absolutely has to be a female main or the work could not possibly stand regardless of what it is - and they will stop at nothing to bend whatever idea they have to accommodate them. It's always "the first ever female airship captain", "the cross-dressing renegade who joined the king's army", etc. It's some weird, socially acceptable form of tokenism. "Women are valuable because I go out of my way to invent a circumstance in which they are exceptionally valuable, every single time." You can argue that, hey, that's fantasy, right? But why do they always frame it in a society where a female soldier or whatever is something to be ostracized? The social justice element always has to be there.

You get the feeling these people wouldn't be able to characterize a loving mother or faithful wife if they tried.

>female

They're called women you fucking cretin, we're not talking about giraffes or wolves.

These women haters are getting out of line.

Are you getting sarcastic with me son?

>i use big words to hide my empty waffle

What did he mean by this

U wot m8?

I meant "stop referring to women as 'females' and men as 'males' you miserable piece of autistic garbage"

Why is this so popular

I'm impressed, this is a new one.

Thanks user

Children of Dune was very boring, does that make me a brainlet?

No, but imagine how bored you were as a Frenchie reading Messiah based on the cover

>the Chad Atreides

Messiah got the best covers for some reason

Requesting that picture with all the pro and anti Vietnam war authors.

Is it? I've never heard of it.

No, it's a generally agreed fact that Children is shit and only worth the read if you're planning to read God Emperor.

If Thrax is meant to be Argentina sometime in the future then where the hell is the Torturer's guild meant to be?

Earthsea trilogy.

probably the most accurate map which is nevertheless still the result of approximations and educated guesses

So are the Ascians just from the northern part of South America? Or are they all of central and Northern America as well?

And are there any clues about what’s going on in the rest of the world? Should I assume there are still many if not hundreds of other plants inhabited by humans but they’re largely cut off from one another? I haven’t reread the series yet but I love the little clues about life here and there

Thrax is Peru ya dingus

>So are the Ascians just from the northern part of South America? Or are they all of central and Northern America as well?
No idea

>And are there any clues about what’s going on in the rest of the world?
There's very little... I would assume that Abaia, Erebus and their ilk are somehow controlling things.

You're pretty daft aren't you user?

Wtf are Abaia and Erebus anyway. I read through BOTNS trying to absorb as much as possible with the intention of rereading in the future, but I’m still pretty lost about them

>You're pretty daft aren't you user?
Yes

Abaia is a huge underwater sea monster which is controlling the Ascians. He has a harem of those undines that Severian dreams about. Erebus is another monster but land-based, in fact probably based in Antarctica on Mount Erebus.

They have beef with Severian because they oppose the coming of the New Sun. I think at least Abaia may have come to Earth from space but I don't know if that's confirmed.

Gene Wolfe bases all of these things on actual mythology, so Abaia is modelled after the actual Abaia:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abaia

And Erebus on the Erebus of the Greeks:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erebus

That gives you the flavour of what they represent.

But like what are they? Where did they come from? Are they aliens?

They're monsters. I'm not sure if there's a definite answer on their origin.

So, they could have come to Earth from space. On the other hand, look at what happens in the story with Baldanders. He's clearly trying to become like Abaia. He started as a human scientist and his striving for self-improvement and application of technology has turned him into this monster. I suppose you remember him jumping into the lake at the end? He can probably survive down there underwater. Maybe Abaia had origins like that. I don't know.

Same user here...was just thinking maybe that's why Severian dreams about the undines when he's sleeping next to Baldanders in Nessus.

I never made that connection before.

So, this is what happens when 2 brainlets talk about Wolfe. Jesus.

Go on, user, enlighten us

Waffle is a synonym for vagina. The user (with the horse pic) is mad because no one wants him to fill their waffle (vagina). He (horse pic user) is lashing out at females in general because they aren't giving him the time of day.

>Waffle is a synonym for vagina.
Ì'd never heard this one.

rich evans heart attack live stream when?

>he never heard of blue waffle
way to show your new

Never saw it. It's probably some ya twilight hunger games fanfic with kids fighting (and winning) against some corrupt group of old men in a fake dystopian future.

Rich has been having a massive heart attack for 6 years now, it's just been overshadowed by his crippling diabetes

>anime cover with guy in cloak
>pretty sure this is the same user who shits on night angel trilogy and refuses to read because of the cloak

having type 13 diabetes is suffering.

>anime

I think there might be something wrong with your mindbrain thingy. I have no idea what Night Angel is. And the cloak is called a stillsuit you massive cocksuck

Nah, it's about a guy taking 40 years to build a church.

>map is cancer
I agree

desu the cloak is worn over the stillsuit

Fucking women is for fags.

The cloak is a wizard cloak.
I like how shit works for one person because you like the author or work, but the exact shit doesn't work for someone else.

That is why i don't listen to shit you guys say. I see you bash a book because of its cover, but praise another one because it fag mouser or from Gene Therapy Wolfe.

Damn straight. Boipucci is the best pucci.
Amirite?

I don’t know what you’re getting at but I like the Dune series. I was just pointing out that Freeman often wear a cloak over their stillsuits

Also that cover is trash, good book though

Just finished Way of Kings. Didn't think it was that great. Good characters and development but really bad worldbuilding

I think you're mixing up two entirely different groups
t. cover lovin user

traps are gay

Good post

Shit post

I was browsing the previous threads and saw that someone ELSE had the courage to read this gem. So, I had to take it upon myself to clarify now that despite what this guy thinks 10790593, there's actually at least 2 people here who read this.

This is actually a better book than 90% of the contemporary books I've read, it's too bad the author chose such a poor name for it. Fimbulwinter and whatever else smut people post here probably has more sex than this book.

I forgot to put the memearrows

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Two fans in the thread doesn't make it particularly special though. Granted the entire thing is just me being a worthless pedant.

Anyone read Kirith Kirin? Opinions?

>Rosemary Wolfe Gotto
>Gene Wolfe & Rosemary Wolfe
ebin

Should I?

Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser

Do you only read fanfiction and YA or something?
I wasted time reading a preview of this, it's garbage my man

Pinnacle of fantasy right here lads. Sanderson wishes he could write this good.

Where do you guys get your audiobooks?

Will book 3 ever come?

There is just no pleasing you huh?

>Fimbulwinter and whatever else smut people post here probably has more sex than this book.
Shows that you never read Daniel Black. There is little smut, and later he just fades to black (heh) when it's about to happen, or mention that it happened later.

>i showed you my penis
>answer me

NO!
WTF DON"T TOUCH THAT SERIES

If you've read all of the preview and didn't like it, I won't press the issue. But it's unfair to compare it to fanfic and YA. It's not a coming of age story, not an edgy or self-insert story either. What you've read was just dragon comes, kills everyone, story start , which does give the tone for what's to come, but so does many other fantasy stories.

>body mods cock into horse cock to fuck rustie worst girl effectively
I did read it. What I said about the book is still true.

>So are the Ascians just from the northern part of South America? Or are they all of central and Northern America as well?
The only indication is that they are from Central/North America. It's possible their influence spread to other continents as well, but hard to tell given the lack of fast and abundant travel to most people on Urth.

>And are there any clues about what’s going on in the rest of the world?
Not much is given, but Jonas gives us a glimpse on what may have happened when he discusses how he became a sailor when he saw his civilization crumbling. My best guess is that Abaia/Erebus got to the Asian countries and they're probably aligned with the Seventeen with the Commonwealth seemingly the last 'independent' nation left to oppose them.

pls explain

Hating on Rothfuss is one of my major hobbies but his short story in Rogues was not bad at all. There being no space for hundreds of pages of obnoxious shit really benefit his writing.

I always imagined the Ascian empire like a big ass empire. Considering the military might they're able to field even when their empire is falling apart from withing is impressive.

Probably the best entry, hope you have fun

Whats a great, long, grand scifi/fantasy series with quite a few characters but has no major drop off in quality?
Something longer than a trilogy, something which isn't written by Wolfe or Vance or Martin or Tolkien
I was thinking either
1. Hainish Cycle
2. Mazalan
3. Dune
4. I'm not sure if sanderson is as good
I just want something to sink my time into that is as rewarding and enjoyable as the demon prince series or the solar cycle & urth

It doesn't seem as if there are more than a dozen scifi/fantasy series' longer than a trilogy that are even worth reading, surely I must've missed a few

Write your own, ya lazy millennial! Stop making others do the heavy pen lifting for you.

:^)
A drop in quality in only the last few books, the first few aren't as good either.

>filename
We saw you are the same person. You sold yourself out.

>digits were wasted on this post

>>body mods cock into horse cock to fuck rustie worst girl effectively
>molested so young that normal cocks don't do it for her anymore
At least we know Daniel Black is GRi approved. Being raped by your brothers (and itching to get some wincest dick) is appreciated.

Any fantasy/sci-fi series I could enjoy as a 26 years old? Something a bit more mature maybe?

Some anons said his books are shit, and he is a shit author. I'm not reading to prove them wrong or right.
You choose.

Daniel Black
Confessions
Super heroes
and Wild Wastes
Ignore the gamer for shit

>Some anons said his books are shit
The series was engrossing. I knocked it out in a weekend. The issue lies with how many interesting concepts end up with a sort of murky conclusion. It left me with literary blueballs.