Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malleability_of_intelligence
youtube.com/user/yuttadhammo/videos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I thought so, but turns out it didn't.

not remotely, but it was a good read

No but it turned someone I know into a faggot

books don’t change personality structure, biologically directed habits do

If a book changes you, it only means you have no experience actively living in the world yourself. What changed me was traveling out in the middle of the desert alone for four months. It was so quiet.

No, but I had to read it for high school. It’s in my current queue to reread, maybe it’ll be better this time around

What changes biologically directed habits?

Serious question.

Why would it?

Also
What book doesn't affect the reader?

Testosterone.
Weight lifting.
Trying to appeal to a mate.
Trying to acquire social power.
Etc.

>traveling out in the middle of the desert alone for four months.
Wow. You sure lived your life to the fullest and didn't just waste it being alone.

>waste it being alone.

How do you change your behavior if you don't change your ideas or personality?

Its called growing up and maturing.

It happens if you believe its happening oe or not

Im not sure what you are trying to imply.
Care to clarify?

I was in a train in the evening, it was already getting dark, and people were being noisy, so I put in headphones and put Camille Saint-Saëns' "Le cygne" from his "Carnaval des animaux" on loop (I had recently stumbled upon and taken quite a liking to it) as I read this.
I'm not sure if it changed me, but I found the prose very comfy and the story very relaxing. It made me forget the noisy and disorderly co-passengers, the journey I still had ahead, and my petty worries about the future. All of this seemed to have also transferred to Le cygne, so that whenever I listen to it, I think of this and forget my worries.

No. It was shit tier meme philosophy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malleability_of_intelligence

It made me substantially less interested in buddhism. Siddhartha is a bit a dickhead.

I found somewhat superficial relative to the importance of its subject matter, and I had already integrated its basic message from phsychedelic messages, but yeah, it does a good job of distilling the importance of thinking for yourself instead of falling for meme self-improvement philosophies :^)

I've tried reading it after I've already read a bunch of sutras and books on buddhism and related, and this didn't do it for me at all, it looks very stupid in comparisson. I don't blame Hesse at all, I'm sure it's a brilliant book to westerners who never got around to know anything on buddhism, but I couldn't get past the first chapters.

Nah, Desert user is cool

>Changed me
how?

No, but actual Buddhism did.
This guy in particular:
youtube.com/user/yuttadhammo/videos

Le cygne is pretty great isn't it

>No but it turned someone I know into a faggot
How so?

This. It really doesn't have anything to do with Buddhism.

Exactly my experience. But whenever I read books like this (basically about eastern buddhist/monkish/ascetic characters) I get that feeling that everything is going to change. It's happening to me again right now and I hope it sticks this time.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. It really just forced me to revolve my life around more basic things. I’ve been lots of places for different amounts of time and they’ve all done something to slightly alter me. Change doesn’t have to be something massive, but in the end it’s still there.

A few things. First, I had to find all of my own water, and it’s quite alarming at first being somewhere that constantly wants to kill you with thirst. My life began to revolve around something I’d never even thought twice about before. It was also just watching the milky way overhead every night. That combined with the fact that you hear nothing but wind and maybe a bird or insect every now and then really forced me to confront my own thoughts. The lack of distracting things that normally take your attention away from yourself in everyday life was no longer there. When your mind is the only other person you have to talk to in a quiet place, you’d better get to know him quickly.

Whens the last time you had an actual conversation with someone of the opposite sex?

He got into yoga and joined the peace corps

yikes, can't see how that's related to Siddhartha.

Yoga is a good thing though.

It was the book that seemed to change him. I read it upon his recommendation and desu I can't find it the least bit memorable myself. He also got me to read the Dharma Bums. Meanwhile during that period I recommend him brothers karamazov and finished The idiot.

Sure thing, pal

This is me.
Half of my friends are female.

Im not sure what either of you two are implying.

dyel

How is yoga not a good thing?

I don't think I believe you, perhaps if you take off your pants and show us your firm little buttocks. For real though, your statement does paint you as a kind of simpleton, so don't be too surprised at the ridicule you received.

Looking great for 6 months. Start doing some abs and chest though. Either way.
>Half of my friends are female.
Why on earth?

He's implying you're a faggot. The fact you uploaded a picture seeking the approval of others proves it, faggot

No. It's pseudo philosophy at it's finest.

meditating every single day is the key to making it stick. Even if its just 7-10 minutes a day, you have to do it every day with out missing.

Well at least you've got something going for you. Shame you're a moron.

Hesse was quite knowledgeable on the eastern philosophy of buddhism

That wasnt me.

I was just responding with examples here.

Im actually not a moron

We all seek approval eventually.

They are fun to tease, and give me a more feminem perspective on life.

Yes. I read it when I was young and I really liked it. Still in my top 3 favorite books.

>Im actually not a moron

k

>more feminem perspective on life
Kek buddy you got a long way to go

Steppenwolf did more so than this, but both honestly contained ideas I already contemplated. I will say I was absolutely fascinated by how ahead of his time Hesse was though.

he was into jung

No, I was older than 14 when I read it.

Still, he predicted WW2 and frankly captured the current disgruntled and estranged feeling we see this generation struggle with. I honestly thought Steppenwolf's climax was beautifully written. I'm not going to jump onto this 'Hesse is a genius' train, but I have been pretty amazed by some of his work and think Veeky Forums shits on him a little too much.

>he predicted WW2
A blind, deaf man with downs syndrome could have predicted World War 2.

And yet Allied Politicians somehow didn't.

Was Neville Chamberlain the greatest brainlet of all time?

>not being spiritualy balanced
>playing ad hominem and not debating the topic

Fuck off lol

That's great, I gotta try it sometime

Tl;dr this for me

I enjoyed it but don’t remember anything besides “time is a flat circle”

Oh definitely, but make sure you know what you're doing and go on shorter trips first to build up your skill-base. It takes practice like anything else but people seem to forget that mankind has been doing this since the beginning of time.

I don’t blame the nazi’s for banning his shitty books

>pussylips
Lmaoing@yourlifedotcom

/fitlit/

I read this when I was a sophmore, and I remember it just further strengthened my desire to "be myself" and to prioritize independence. There's an excerpt about how "Siddartha suddenly felt like he knew what he had to do" that felt really alleviating to read. Just imagining to one day have it all fall into place.

this guy is beta
you are beta

The question and this reply form a really sad short story. I feel the same way and I keep trying to identify why it didn't. I think it's that I stopped moving. When I left my country to go to college in america, it was a start. I never felt more free than being able to learn about whatever I wanted from people who devote their lives to that topic. But the enthusiasm didn't keep me from getting depressed. Eventually I wasted my time there by spending as much time as I could sleeping, dreading conversations with anyone whose eyes I had to look into. I'm out now, unemployed and no less depressed. I can't do what Siddhartha kept doing and leave again because Siddhartha didn't have to deal with the realities of debt and the hollow infrastructure of modern life (instead of the idealized India imagined by a very clever German man).

After all the hype I had read about this book I was honestly shocked and kinda pissed at how underwhelming it was

i aint beta

SIX MONTHS WTF

I have been lifting for like four years and still look dyel tier, except for looking reasonably fit.

no

Honestly, "The Glass Bead Game" had far more of an effect on me. Like he finally figured out a kunstlerroman was quite different than a bildungsroman.

dumbest shit i ever read

BASED retard

>DUDE A RIVER IS LIKE ALWAYS THERE BUT A LITTLE BIT DIFFERENT BECAUSE THERE'S NEW WATER, JUST LIKE IN LIFE LMAO

God, no wonder his son hated him. From a young age reading this I always thought Siddhartha was a pretentious faggot. He was entirely self-absorbed.

No, I thought it waS babby shit compared to its inspirations. A nice enough read, though. A step above reading self-help books.

cursed ugly image

>Hey Ive been Lifting 6 months now
Is what you said in the cbt thread on fit. Or have outed yourself now?

Its Good YA
it belongs somewhere between lotr and notes from the underground

Not even close to Notes, you fucking brainlet

>biological determinists

>hurr look at my body
>hurr I have female friends
>hurr I am better than you
>still posts on Veeky Forums

u have no abs and your neck looks like an alien from startrek

Looking good boi. You really fired up the chainsmoking muffin tops of Veeky Forums

Legit, except LOTR is actually patrician

You missunderstood what i wrote. I meant that it should be read at the Reading level of someone whos previous task is reading LOTR, followed by reading notes. t. Autistic list maker

You know exactly what I'm implying, and you've just admitted you're wrong.

that tends to be the thing with liking hesse. many such cases. sad.

Hesse should be balanced by Junger or someone similar.

I don't even remember the book. So kinda like maybe it did? Kinda like maybe it didn't you know?

I'm not separating the two distinctions, Im rather showing what it encompasses, I still don't know what you mean.

Please elaborate

I like writing and Veeky Forums is one of my few outlets of sharing my work

It doesn't show in the book.

In highschool we had to read it. My teacher asked us what a flower in the book represented. No one answered for a minute. Then the fat Chinese kid jumped out of his chair and yelled "A VAGINA!" He was right and it was so out of nowhere that I will always have this memory.

gay

Just started reading it today, read the first part. Anything I should know about the book? What should I expect?

It was an interesting read but no it didn't change my life at all, in fact no book has ever made that much of an impact on me.

Maybe, I'll never know

>yfw time doesn't actually exist

Loved it, changed me a little. Lots of books and experiences seem to push me in the same direction that I think is what I should aim for. I've had pivotal moments in life before I suppose but then those are supplemented by other experiences, which is what keeps me able to shift directions.