Read the top 100 user

Read the top 100 user.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17wMFKGWYnC4IbpG8tqLDRFmqb0ENhjANzTyOdkN4KQY/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ok

I took the top 100 it wasn’t that chart though, it was another chart. I remember cause yours has Shakespeare’s complete works, my chart had Hamlet and King Lear as two separate works and not his complete works I took them and put them on a spreadsheet ordered by oldest to most modern book. I then checked the Veeky Forums starter pack and put all those books first, then I’m gonna read the rest of the chart in chronological order.

WHY THE FUCK IS THE HOLY BIBLE #3 WHY? ITS NOT FUCKING GOOD LITERATURE. 90% OF IT IS WORTHLESS PSUEDOHISTORICAL CHRISTIAN FANTASY SCHLOCK. FUCK OFF CHRISTIANFAGS FUCK OFFFFF

>three body trilogy
almost picked this up but was turned off by the back. Was i wrong?

>Finished: Odyssey, Divine Comedy, Crime and Punishment
>Didn't finish: all Shakespeare, Anna Karenina, all Sophocles plays
>Didn't really attempt the rest
2.5/100. Not bad :)

>WAAH! STOP HAVING DIFFEWENT OPINIONS FWOM ME! WAAAAAH!
Atheists are subhuman vermin

This top 100 is trash tier lets be honet
>60% no shit sherlock
>40% flavor of the week

the absolute irony of this post

Why did you post it 26 times then faggot?

This top 100 is fake, but it’s been spammed so much a lot of anons think it’s the real one. I can’t even find the real one.
>Zettels Traum #13
>Infinite Jest #42
>The complete works of Shakespeare (as pointed out, the only works of Shakespeare on the real list are Hamlet and King Lear, his complete works weren’t voted on as a single book)
The real one isn’t like that at all, if I can find it I’ll post it

Thank you, ill be keeping an eye out.

I hate to be "that guy," but that's not the real top 100 chart for 2017.

The guy who was making it made a Google Doc where we all nominated 3 books each. Had to sign in, so it was more "genuine." Guy who created the spreadsheet decided he didn't like the numbers he was getting (bible was lower, but still in the top ten, Philip Roth's Sabbath's Theater was in the top 25, I think, etc) so he made this list.

That's why there's no numbers on this chart.

literally no one gives a shit except that one faggot who was mad infinite jest and culture of critique werent #1 so he made a new fake chart

all the charts are fake stop whining /pol/ faggots

What these guys are saying, fake list. Lolita was the actual #1 for 2017, I believe.

samefag

The fact that people continue to spam the fake chart is honestly surprising. Either they're retarded or pretending to be, which is worse.

Samefag

All i know is that a real Veeky Forums top 10 will have Infinite Jest and Blood Meridian on the top 10

also
>Finnegan's Wake
i even doubt a tenth of Veeky Forums has actually read it let alone understood it enough to be their favorite

Question my person again and i shall do literally nothing because i am a massive faggot....

no one reads on Veeky Forums we just vote for memes and post about reddit

Heeeey, there we go.

And check'd.

Okay i want a legit explanation for the bible being so high, because ive read it and....i mean cmon.

The Discord meme is real

>it's basically the same fucking list

fuck this board

>its all the same list

Fuck off you massive faggot

It's got some fantastic books in it, and ancient literature in general is fascinating. Books like Job and the Gospels are genuinely fun to study, and I'm not even a Christian.

Took too long, obvious shoop.

I don't care what's on it, it just sucks when someone claims something is voted on and genuine, but it's just their own fabrications--especially when the real one exists. Like, there's no reason to keep posting the fake one.

i can tell by the pixels

why dont you faggots read some real books instead of memes and circlejerking over ulysses and infinite jest for 5 straight years

Maybe being raised as a christian made it normal and uninteresting to me?

>Took too long
Unlike you, I have a job. I can't just reply every 30 seconds. You should get back to work, though. I hear high schools assign a lot of homework these days.

Also
samefag

>Implying the other five aren't the same person

>implying there's more than 5 posters on this entire board

Culture of Critique and Mein Kampf are real books, kike.

This is the real list, thanks man

Good point. There are only 12 posters.

Stop accusing me of being other people holy shit, also

>shoop

how can you not spot a fucking joke kys

Kill yourself

Kill. Yourself. Now.

>how can you not spot a fucking joke kys
kek I bet this joker voted for shillary

>Most influential work written
>Fantastic literary quality (Particularly the Wisdom Books, the Gospels, and Psalms)
>Most alluded to work ever written
>Literally shaped Western Civilization
>FUCK YOU CHRISTFAGS ITS NOT REAL REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I sincerely hope you die a horrible, painful, prolonged death.

Here's my markup. Stars on my favorites.

My markup. Nice idea. Same as the other guy, yellow checks for the ones I've read, green stars on my favorites. I'm in the middle of a few others; didn't mark those.

I tried reading Ulysses once when I was younger and I found it unbearable. The fact that I was reading relatively modern fiction yet I constantly had to flip back and forth between the text and the appendix to understand it irritated me to no end.

I wonder if I'd like it now.

How many of the to 100 are avb. on Gutenburg? Any known at all? I'm sure most can be found in pdf, but I don't wanna risk opening pdf's from randos.

Most, if not all, of the ones now in public domain, which I believe takes place 72 years after an author's death (unless otherwise noted by their estate, like Lovecraft).

Imagine being this retarded.
The Holy Bible is pretty much required reading for most all classical literature.

I copped zenos conscience because I got it in a roll thread not to long ago. Wtf am I in for?

Itt: the same 3 people with minutely different opinions telling eachother to kill themselve

Lmao you guys haven't read In Search Of Lost Time? Are you fucking retarded or something?

>Book of the New Sun at #27
>Even better than Don Quixote

top kek

I don't think you know the definition of irony, user.

I for one hope he one day sees the error of his ways, repents, and follows Christ Jesus unto death, and forevermore. That way, he shally be saved, and his true existence would not merely end at the ferment we call mortal life.

Thanks user. Hope all your time wasted reading a piece of mythic garbage was worth it.

Kill yourself and die of cancer.

Good day sir :)

Jesus has been dead for over 2000 years. He aint doing anything ya dumb dingus.

Who knew there were so many brainlets on this board?

Is this the real one, user?

>Jesus was real

kek

>Infinite Jest #42

should be lower desu

Thats the 2014 one, as seen in

>Johann Wolfgang
>Virginia Woolf
>Gene Wolfe

howl does this happen

That would probably take me literally the rest of my life.

And?

Maker of the 2014 chart here.

Here's the original unadulterated pic.
These are all final the results iirc
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17wMFKGWYnC4IbpG8tqLDRFmqb0ENhjANzTyOdkN4KQY/edit?usp=sharing

I've read like two or three near the top, and that's all. I'm far more interested in non-fiction in all its forms, and this interest increases with age. List is way too fiction-centric.

Also this list is partly bullshit in that there is no statistically meaningful proportion of Veeky Forums users who have /actually read/ either or both of Finnegans Wake and Bottom's Dream. So the sampling method is bogus, and is merely a collection of what Veeky Forums likes, or claims to like, without a more robust method for determining what people have actually read.

That's exactly the problem though. Veeky Forums confuses reading for historical reasons, with "cred" about knowing the canon, among other factors. To their credit, at least the board are in principle actually interested in reading (and thus in a sense preserving) the western canon, but I think there's a certain insincere "chic" about it, these days.

>herp-tee-terp it is the case, so it's good

This list is faaar more believeable as to what Veeky Forums users actually write about, and what they are likely to have actually read. Lots of easy and often (not always) frankly good high-school lit type stuff (though high school taught me to hate great gatsby). The usual memes as well, and it doesn't include the "I call bullshit no way you actually read that fucker" books I just mentioned earlier.

Lets see what i'm reading next.

The king James Bible is a sublime work of literature
t.Atheist

I’m not religious, but I used to be very catholic, to the point of reading the Bible every single night. I cannot stress how much that can contribute to your overall understanding of history and western culture.

>people
How can you not tell it's always the same poster?

>top 100 books
I don't get what these lists are implying. If you need to read 100 books, odds are you probably aren't getting anything out of them. you could probably do just fine reading 5 or 6, as well as enjoying other forms of media, such as the internet, movies and anime. I can understand 100 years ago, the appeal of books, especially if you lived in isolation. That's not to say pretty much any valuable lesson contained in these stories hasn't, allegorically speaking, been rehashed and seen in media throughout your life, and that you simply haven't picked up on it. The answer of course is to then be mindful and aggressively seek out the kernels of wisdom all around us instead of looking for them only in books. In that sense, there is no real reason to read all of those books except for novelties sake.

/rant

I'm working on it.

Dubliners is way too overrated on these lists.

Even as a Christian I dread the bible. Good stories, terrible writers

19/100

With 3 I've read in part like those complete works collections.

My contention with the Bible being on here isn't necessarily because I don't think it deserves it, but because it's not quite fully a work of literature, narrative, etc. like these others. Not that I think it's all literally true (atheist heretic here), but a lot of it is historical and poetic with no narrative. I don't see Herodotus or Thucydides on here, for example, nor any non-narrative poets.

But I'll take it. It gives me another number closer to completing, after all.

Actually, looking at it again, I see that The Anatomy of Melancholy is on there... and I guess Finnegans Wake is a stretch to call narrative. So I take it back.

Based
The OP list doesn't even have Lolita on it

b8 or redditor? What say you Veeky Forums?

>Veeky Forums is one person
Yeah no retard

Everyone on Veeky Forums just reads whatever the fuck they want.

If you want to read what Veeky Forums has read basically so far, just read The Holy Bible and Gravity's Rainbow and you're good.

They seem to be pretty keen on Elements these days.

reading finnegans wake is kind of a fucking commitment if you wanna read it properly man, can't expect everyone to do that

I can tell, I just don’t want to admit it.

I want the benefit of the doubt that a single person isn't this autistic, but I've been wrong before.

not even how it went

There were two in 2015, one at the beginning and one at the end