Tfw too dumb for the iliad

>tfw too dumb for the iliad

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0ywGoAcYjEt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

50% of it is references to Greek culture/mythos. Don't feel too bad user.

Just read through a plot summary and then jump straight to the Odyssey.

How though? It's an easy book to read once you get past the few pages of ship cataloging.

I'm pretty sure you're not dumb enough, but gave up too easily. Try again. If you have to, pull yourself through it. That's how you get to elevate your ceiling so that one day you will be able to read Finnegans with no problem

Dude War lmao

You were right. I had just finished chapter 2 (ship catalogue) when making this thread. Chapter 3 with the duel between Menelaos and Paris was an easy read.
Yep, turned out this was it

I picked up the book and flipped open to a random page and just read a paragraph and it was about some insignificant detail but it was the best thing ive read in a while, I actually shouted it out loud and just kept going because it was beyond perfect, crazy

I wanted to vocaroo it maybe I will sometime, someone else try it: vocaroo . come
(regardless of what people say about translations: its crazy how such great rich poetry with the language and words and sounds and rhythm and flow can occur in the new translated language

Thus the battle was set, the two armies faced each other, and Agamemnon, eager to be the oremost of them all, led off by charging at the foe. Tell me now, you Muses that have your home in Olympus, who was the first man to face King Agamemnon? Was he a Trojan, or was he one of their renowned allies?

He was the tall and handsome Iphidamas, a son of Antenor. The man had been brought up in rich-soiled Thrace the mother of sheep. Cisses, his mothers father and father of Theano of the lovely cheeks, had reared him from infancy in his own palace, and when Iphidamas had reached the heyday of his youth, had one his best to keep him at home by offering him his daughters hand. But Iphidamus had no sooner married her than he was enticed from the arms of his bride by news of Achaen expedition. He sailed with squadron of twelve beaked ships, left the trim vessels in harbour at Percote, and himself reached Illium on foot. This was the man who now confronted Agamemnon son of Atreus.

there are too many characters. the author should have trimmed the fat and just wrote a better story with what was left, which would've been easy neway because its easier to tell a good story with good characters than trying to make a million dopey characters good before they get killed. overall i am not impressed i rate 7/10 tho good writing

Which translation is this?

Book 11
pg.203
Translated: E. V. Rieu
Penguin Classics

>mfw the Iliad is way more fun than the Odyssey

The Iliad is so fucking awesome.
Every time somebody says it's too long or too wordy or too many characters or too many battles or it's just a bunch of action scenes where everybody is shouting out names of the people they are killing I'm like.... "YEA EXACTLY THAT'S WHY IT'S GOOD"
Everybody kept telling me "just breeze through the Iliad to get to the Odyssey"
Guess what?
I spent a solid ass couple of weeks enjoying the Iliad FULLY and then breezed through the fucking snooze-fest that was the Odyssey.
The Iliad is a chronicle of MEN being MEN!!!!!!

with some typos
>eager to be the foremost
>had done* his best

study the trivium then the quadrivium, then start with greek philosophy, theology and canon law, and only then you may think of reading such thing

lol. Fucking ameridumbs.
In my country we start studing it when we are 8

you're fucking stupid

I remember reading the Iliad in 5th grade. No idea why people think 5th graders will get anything out of it.

it's the same thing with those hesse novels about life stages and shit, how is an adolescent going to get anything out of book like that, oh it's short and the prose is simple so it must be appropriate for kids, well no not really

DUDE it's meant for like to be listened to by average-intelligence ancient greek peasants--not necessarily the highest of academics

REMINDER: the average greek peasant was notably smarter than the average northern european peasant or warrior for that matter. This did not change for almost 2000 years until the Gothic era

Just guys being dudes.

>s-s-stop liking it better than my precious odysseey!
>omg it wuz so kool at theh end wen he com back home n kil guise who wuz after hiss gril!
>omg revenge on da bad guise is best stroreis EVER!
>omg it ewas such epicc advesntures!
>omg how cen u like iliad better!
shit like this is why modern YA and nearly the entire fantasy genre is in complete, miserable shambles
odyssey is count of monte cristo-tier soap opera shit

>not understanding that homeric poems complement each other

>Homer delivers to you the esoteric Olympian gnosis
you sleep
>Homer shows you the exoteric facade of Dorian-Ionian culture
real shit

faggot

This but a 50/50 divide between ironically and unironically

Just some boys a hootin and a hollarin

theres no way someone memorized every word of the illiad and wandered around reciting it, its almost 500 pages

>memorized every word
You're not getting it. Read Nagy's work on the oral-formulaic composition.

If you come across shit like that in lit honestly you can just skip it. It’s meant for people of the time, who knew and lived in these cities and would feel a personal connection to all these names.

Anything that’s just a deluge of useless names and facts like that can be skipped unless you’re a scholar

>the entire fantasy genre is in complete, miserable shambles
the illiad was written by a reddit of the day group of neckbeards writing magical fantasy genre fiction superhero comicbook sponsored by the military for propaganda

Isn't Iliad THE Greek culture/mythos?

me too, i thought it was boring shit desu

uuuuh no sweetie, that's Hesiod.

Read E.V. Rieu's prose translation. It has a historical introduction, glossary of greek deities, notes etc. A total pleb should be able to go through it easily, before advancing to Lattimore / Fagles.

>Read E.V. Rieu's prose translation
got it for a dollar a few months ago at the library

>tfw to inteligent for finnegan's wake

The ship catalogues are the best parts

vocaroo.com/i/s0ywGoAcYjEt

*Too

earth is flat lmao, nice touch

You forgot nibiru

potent teaser

now THIS needs a Vocaroo'ing

>the two homies faced each other

based

>Lets avoid exposing children to literature because its too hard

Are you disabled

idiot

but why stop?

>tfw read odyssey first and now im 9 chapters into the illiad and no sign of ulysses being a mc

Attached: 123987425.png (1200x1200, 1.22M)

Read the Alexander Pope verse translations

tfwq to dumv to turn pajes, ani advise?

ues an pajie turnurrr