Just bought all books in the world lmao

Just bought all books in the world lmao

this is now an ereader thread, what is the absolute best ereader i could go out and buy today if i weren't a NEET and had a job?

a nook maybe
i have a kindle tho

enjoy your YA and lonely housewife romance lit lmao

Probably the Amazon tablet, Kindle

*downloads classics for free*

Honestly, I've been considering getting one. Does anyone have a kindle and like it more now?

this but unironically. the only thing i hate is having to charge all my fucking Books

as long as it has Eink and not a backlit display it will be revelatory to your reading. look up book piracy (leddit has some good guides but the ED page on #bookz will get you started too) and you can find some of the most amazing, obscure and mainstream things totally free. for what they cost eReaders are amazing, battery life on my base model kindle is something like 2.5 weeks of heavy use.

Posting from /g/.

how much do these ereaders even cost?

K O B O

I

N

O

i have read more than the last 10 years in just 2 months. currently reading all Bolaño. this shit is life changing.

I pirate books on the Kindle and then buy them to put them in the bookshelf.

:)

Anywhere from 60 to 240 dollars depending on model and price.

Kindle Fire is 50 with ad offers. But that's not dedicated hardware. It's more like a tablet with a lot of options from amazon. At least you can install google play store with a certain script.

>Kindle Fire is 50
>with ad offers.
lol

buy KOBO you piece of shit cucks. got mine for 50 i think, "refurbished" from ebay, looks new.

The Paperwhite was 90$, I've read books on it of a total of more than 1000$, so yeah, I do like it.

Another thing I like about it is the dictionary, very helpful as I'm studying German and reading some stories on it, translating some words I don't understand. It has a flashcard app on it too but I never used it since I have Anki.

I have a PocketBook.

What's best for PDFs? Any way to make them work on a kindle paperwhite?

Pdf's and kindle just dont work in my experience, never have and I dont think they ever will.

Aren’t you supposed to be able to email yourself a PDF with “convert” in the subject line and have it reformatted onto your kindle?

My paper white comes tomorrow I’m so excited.

Do you guys have the leather case or anything on your kindle? I didn’t get one but it looks pretty nice.

You'll want to get a case eventually.
The Kindle feels naked without it.

I got the official one some years back and I like it dearly. The case is costly, but I think it is worth it. Doubly so if you intend to travel with the Kindle.

I got it. More intuitive that closing it turns the kindle off.

The thing I like about the pop-up dictionary is it's less disruptive to the flow of reading the book compared to stopping then flipping through a dictionary.

Can I pirate epubs onto a paperwhite?

paperwhite because mobileread is awesome and there are a million hacks for the paperwhite. Right now on my PW 1st gen (circa 2013) I have
>random custom screensavers (>500)
>15 fonts (apart from the defaults, which you can remove)
>epub/mobi/pdf reader with screen inversion
>collections manager
>Over the air support with calibre which means I can send ebooks without connecting the device
>ability to turn off the backlight completely (yay!)
>show cover of the current ebook as the screensaver (can be toggled)
>like 5 different font rendering options
>wikipedia browser
>10 dictionaries
>~230 books, all sorted
>ability to email myself books at whim and recieve them completely convreted and primed for eye rape
>no ads
>completely automated file and cover conversion and sorting courtesy of calibre which means that my device isn't a mess full of .azw3 files
>ftp to transfer books from my personal server
>ssh to device when I connect it to my pc
>no amazon eavesdropping
and tons more lol
yes but you need to convert it to mobi or azw3 (better!) with calibre (easy as fuck)

Do I need to buy a certain gen or can I pick up the latest one and be able to do all this?

You can do most of this, although some might be a little harder to implement. You should check out mobileread and ask someone there. I know a lot about the PW1 but nothing about others because I'm satisfied with this but the screen DPI could be a little better desu but this works for me now but if you get a newer version the screen will be way better and I guess if you like serifs you could enjoy that because on my device the best fonts are always slabs or serifs or slab serifs.

Also it's easier than it look,s just follow the instructions.

I ended up getting the Kindle Oasis (newest version) a couple months ago, and I'm in love. The buttons are so much better than touching the screen (and you can lock the screen entirely, so you dont accidentally press anything while reading). The aluminum backing and grip makes it really nice to hold in one hand, not to mention the bigger screen size.

Pricey as fuck, but I've already read fifteen books on it that would have cost me around the same price as I bought it for, so I think it's worth the investment if you read a shit ton.

What are some books that are impossible to read on kindle?
I mean like pic related

Pretty cool but is the investment worth the differences from a Paperwhite?

nope unless you have gorilla fingers that press half the screen at once.

protip: use a fucking screen protector.

Anything that can run Koreader

I had a Paperwhite before this. It really depends on how much use you'll get out of it. My gf has a paperwhite, and when we're reading together she'll comment on how much nicer my screen is. I think they're very similar in terms of brightness etc, but the extra screen space just means less page turning and more reading. The oasis is also waterproof, I like to read in the bath occasionally so that's nice.
Why use a screen protector? That would just make everything even more unresponsive. Get a nice case or a slip cover. I have a case for my Oasis whenever I take it places, but much prefer to use it case-less as it's easier to hold in one hand.

Master race.

>That would just make everything even more unresponsive
It's responsive as fuck even with a screen protector, it's not my fault you have hair on the tips of your fingers.

In comparison to a tablet like an ipad, Kindle's are finicky as fuck. Who has hair on the tips of their fingers? You've been reading too much furry erotica faggot.

Visual novels.

It does work if you have a pdf without shit margins and nice width to height ratio, but you can crop those... Also you can use use k2pdfopt to optimize pdfs for ebooks...

Definitely get one. There are others if you don't want the official amazon one. They react to the magnet of the case being opened and turns on or of the screen, which is great because the on/off button is a little bit too small for my taste.
Also you feel safer putting your device in some pocket without the screen scratching on something. The kindle is durable but personally I get pretty autistic about protecting the screens of my mobile devices so I absolutely need the lid.

Can you tell us more on that? This seems really nice.
Also >10 dictionaries
For what purpose? Can you integrate them all into the kindle's dictionary function?

Anyone tried to read Infinite Jest on a kindle? Is it readable at all?

Infinite Jest

Buy Kobo just for the pure sake of fighting the man, Amazon.

KOBO here too. Single best purchase my mum had made in the last 22 years

WHY DOES NO ONE EVER MENTION KOBO AURA ONE REEEEE IT'S THE PERFECT E READER

Meme. Is even easier to read because of the links to the appendice

What sets it apart from kindle?

Lack of file restrictions. Compatable with the overdrive system used by North American libraries. With a kindle you can overcome both of these problems with file conversions without too much trouble but it is one more step. It creates extra steps if you want to buy stuff from amazon though, who has the largest library of ebooks.

Those are the ones people care about the most. Realistically eReaders are commodity goods at this point and you really can't go too wrong. I just bought Kobo because rah rah fight the power I don't want to contribute too much to Bezos plan for world domination. It's also because I believe that they have the better value large e-reader, the 8" Kobo Aura One, which is significantly cheaper than the 7" Kindle Voyage.

Er, correction, the Kindle Oasis is the 7" model from Amazon.

A proper full sized tablet without e-ink is unironically best for PDFs. Stuff like pinch & zoom works way better and you want a fairly large display for PDFs.

However if you want something with E-ink, the Kobo Aura One is a fairly large screen, and the Kindle Oasis while having a smaller screen and being more expensive has a pinch to zoom function that works slightly better.

Just got my Paperwhite a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it :3
Just a note, I got the white color one and my girlfriend has the black and the material seems very different even though they're the same model/generation, so keep that in mind

Can I pirate epubs onto it?

>In comparison to a tablet like an ipad, Kindle's are finicky as fuck.
duh, the kindle doesn't need that kind of touch anyway, you don't want to accidentally turn pages everytime you breathe on it
> Who has hair on the tips of their fingers?
You're a gorilla
>You've been reading too much furry erotica faggot.
projecting much??

Yes. It has no hassle, no ads, no bullshit.

Yeah
Or you can use calibre
Other poster is stupid

that actually looks kind of neat

I have that same cover in the same Patrician blue. The rubber on the outside is kind of weird. It's not textured too much and the material is not exactly soft, making it "slippery" due to its weight. My palms are constantly sweaty and for the first few months I was very anxious of dropping it.
I've had it for 4 years now. The fabric on the inside surprisingly hasn't faded nor does it look stained at all even with my greasy disgusting palms.
Taking it out of the casing can be tricky because it fits so fucking well, but you never take it out, so... There's probably some Chinese knockoff with a similar fit and the smart cover feature.

Even if the cover is closed, avoid hitting the front side (i.e., the screen) at all costs because you'll ruin your device no matter how well protected you think it is. Like, a hard elbow to your backpack or hitting it with the corner of a chair would probably mess with the screen. Happened to me with an older model.

>Kindle Fire
That's not an e-reader. It's a tablet.
Probably a tablet, like Kindle Fire lol or something larger.

Kobo Aura One. The Kindle Voyage has two advantages on KA1, everything else goes to Kobo:
>better translation, and can translate phrases
>nice little buttons on the side

Kobo has:
>more options for customization
>more compatibility with Libgen files
>an excellent software support team, which actually improves the UI with each update
>joint ownership with Overdrive, which is your local library's e-book lending service
>a bigger screen, but still lightweight

t. the eternal Kobo shill

Not all books exist as e-books.

I can download PDFs and epubs for free and it’s as easy as dragging and dropping it onto the Kobo when is plugged into my PC. Plus I can do this

>buy ereader
>battery dies after 3 months
>look online
>importing a battery costs more than buying a whole new ereader
>go back to reading on my tablet
Yeah, I think I'll pass until these things are more established in my part of the world.

YOU BOUGHT A PIECE OF SHIT

why is the filename ' pic to make fat people upset'?

Veeky Forums wrote a bunch of $0.99 erotica ebooks about fat people being made fun of, along with typical Veeky Forums stuff that shocks normies

majority of housewives are fatties, so they wrote angry reviews for those fit ebooks

What the hell where do I read this

it was a while ago, maybe 2 years ago. 3? I'm old

it was really shit writing, the cover even had a half-naked buff black guy on it. It was basically the worst of fan fiction erotica with nigger nigger jew nigger fatasfatass

There might be a screencap of the angry reviews floating around, but I'm 99% certain that actual book is gone. Most likely Amazon put a stop to Veeky Forums's ebook cottage business

Kino

So which is the better material damn it

That's a pretty stupid purchase considering you already had access to all the books in the world, it's called the internet.

where do i cop these free epub pdf's?

asking for a friend

libgen

Why wouldn’t you want physical copies of books to show off when you bring nerd sluts back to your place?

pretty sure you didn't buy my diary desu

libgen
ebook IRC channels (google them)
google the name of the book followed by pdf or epub

I've got a kindle paperwhite and its really good. I've been reading a lot of old stuff recently so its easy to find copies on libgen rather than having to order a copy online and waiting for it to arrive

>link to appendice
>no link back to main body
I hate this

Can you do this on a Kobo Aura 2?
Thinking of buying one but it's kinda expensive in my country.
Kindles are pretty cheap here though.
I had jailbroken my Kindle PW2 long ago but then it got erased due to an auto-update. Now I can't jailbreak it again. Or is there hope?
I guess I'll have to get a PW/PW2 again. But Amazon is evil amirite

Wait why is Kindle Aura 1 costlier than Aura 2?
Isn't 2 > 1?

Shakespeare, Dante, most of the Canon
Due to extensive annotations
You could read it on a Kindle if you're super smart(read: Harold Bloom)

>Can you do this on a Kobo Aura 2?
nope
>Thinking of buying one but it's kinda expensive in my country.
don't, you fag. Kindles have literally the best spacing and font options.
>Kindles are pretty cheap here though.
yup
>I had jailbroken my Kindle PW2 long ago but then it got erased due to an auto-update. Now I can't jailbreak it again. Or is there hope?
cheeck mobileread, it can probbaly be downgraded and salvaged
>I guess I'll have to get a PW/PW2 again. But Amazon is evil amirite
nope

inb4 shill

pic related, OC

5.8.11 niggs what do they say its impossible
(PW2 international)

thanks lads my friend will be pleased

Depends on the book though. Most retail ebooks I've tried had a linkback to the page you were in.
Also my PW can show the footnote in a little popup.

>where do i cop these free epub pdf's?
---> /t/
I donwloaded that gigantic 570 GB torrent with science fiction and fantasy books a few months ago, shit is amazing. all those Golden Age sci fi pulp magazines that are almost impossible to get, especially here in Europe.

No physical, no buy. If you pirate then that is fine.

It’s worth it but sometimes I go back to physical books just for the feel of paper

This. Buy one and put your years reading list on it but pick up a paper that you want on the shelf every now and then. For instance I've got all of my philosophy books on my kobo but I picked up a nice hardback of killing of the flower moon yesterday.

You might be right but Kindle perfectly does everything I need, so I'll probably never switch

You can customize your Kindle too, check the mobileread website.

As for the screen, yes it's good to have a bigger one if you only use it at home, if you move around and want to read while commuting for example I find the Paperwhite size suits me just well.

Is there cheap ereader close in size to A4?

A used Kindle DX