COMFY BOOKS

The Official Veeky Forums Guide To Comfy Fiction - Provisional
Suggestions before this becomes unalterable canon?

This is a p comfy book

What exactly makes a book comfy?

Excellent selection, but
>Hitchhikers trilogy?

Low testosterone, feminine, brainless

A comfy book is one that warms the heart, lifts the spirits, rebuilds the shattered psyche, and revitalizes the weary soul.

Generally it's going to come with a happy ending, although there can be a certain amount of trouble along the way.

You can read it shittons of times and wont get old/boring I guess

nice

Surprised Leaves Of Grass isn't on that list. It's pretty comfy.

Yeah it was supposed to be prose rather than poetry (you can argue about Odyssey I guess).

Tortilla Flat by Steinbeck is the comfiest book I've read. A small group of friends hanging around doing nothing except sometimes working out small-time schemes to get food and/or wine. Their small lives play out in the old part of a small californian town, their neighbourhood yet untouched by asphalt and electric lights.

I really like it a lot, it's the perfect cozy summer-read.

Tuesdays with Morrie is one of the comfiest books I have ever read. Fairly adultish. In terms of of comfy children books I loved The Phantom Tollbooth and would reccommend to anyone to give to their children during the summer.

OK I'll might try and check it out. The Steinbeck I've read has been ultra-uncomfy; I never considered he might have done something so different.

Wondertul thread, thanks!

>No Calvino
You fuk'd up

>Gayman

You fuk'd up.

>Mason & Dixon

wut? How do people consider Pynchon "comfy"? The form and content of his books are deliberately uncomfortable.

"comfy" is much better embodied by people like Halldor Laxness or Willa Cather who are easier to read, warmer in terms of character development, and much more optimistic.

Did you even read M&D?

The Don Camillo books are super comfy and light-hearted.

I'd agree about Steinbeck, Cannery Row is another comfy book similar to Tortilla Flat.

A man commits suicide by driving an icepick into his chest because he's too ugly in Cannery Row, not very comfy desu

I'd recommend pic related. Maybe third row, more to the left.

Replace Confed with Three Men In A Boat

Three Men In A Boat is in there - you just think it's not for young people?

another discord chart

Is that even an issue in this case though? I haven't read all the books in the chart, but those I have read are pretty comfy. What do you think would be different in a non-reddit /comfy/ chart?

the issue is, as an anonymous image board, a select group of individuals are trying to manipulate readers into reading a set group of books and to establish those books as "unalterable canon". when they should just stick to their discord clique and dissoaciate their discord club with Veeky Forums

pls delet second x kromosom and melanin from chart.

the narwhal bacons at midnight

I do because he paints an interesting and vibrant world.

Post a thread for making new charts then

It's weird - everyone keeps telling me "go back to r*****t". Sometimes they call it "pl****t".
(Sometimes they're even ruder than that.)
I've never been to r****t. I actually came here from /pol/. I explain this repeatedly but no-one takes any notice :(

the discord geegees at 2FzXk6c
what don't you understand

I made the chart, and I have nothing to do with discord. I posted threads in the past asking for suggestions to try to avoid it just being "my favourite books". Lots of them I haven't read.
Anything that crops up in this thread and seems a generally popular choice, I'll add.

That's all of two pages for a small character backstory, it's done quite humorously and provides a good contrast.

I find Franny and Zoey to be quite comfy as well, despite the subject matter it's got small, familiar enclosed settings that make it so.

Yeah, I couldn't decide on Salinger. Maybe he needs to go in.

don quixote is essential comfycore, i finished it and immediately read two other translations. loved it so much that i almost stopped reading other fiction

Didn't see it. Still, Confed is not comfy at all

OK, I haven't read Confederacy, was just taking people's word for it (a bad idea I know. They probably hadn't read it either haha). I could swap in Franny & Zooey for it.

my african american

Confed is comfy for NEETs

murakamis debut as well as Norwegian Wood are pretty damn comfy

Anything by Hiromi Kawakami probably
It's the literary equivalent of Koreeda films.

just read some quotes from Under Milk Wood, damn thats beautiful.

Under Milk Wood is magnificent. It has beautiful, poignant, and laugh-out-loud funny.

Example: Mr & Mrs Pugh are having breakfast. Mr. Pugh is not fond of his wife and spends most of his life daydreaming about murdering her.

>MRS PUGH
>Persons with manners,

>SECOND VOICE
>snaps Mrs cold Pugh,

>MRS PUGH
>do not nod at table.

>FIRST VOICE
>Mr Pugh cringes awake. He puts on a soft-soaping smile: it is sad and grey under his nicotine-eggyellow weeping walrus Victorian moustache worn thick and long in memory of Doctor Crippen.

>MRS PUGH
>You should wait until you retire to your sty,

>SECOND VOICE
>says Mrs Pugh, sweet as a razor. His fawning measly quarter-smile freezes. Sly and silent, he foxes into his chemist's den and there, in a hiss and prussic circle of cauldrons and phials brimful with pox and the Black Death, cooks up a fricassee of deadly nightshade, nicotine, hot frog, cyanide and bat-spit for his needling stalactite hag and bednag of a pokerbacked nutcracker wife.

I honestly felt like Norwegian wood was a really comfy read. Considering the depressing subject matter it might seem strange. Idk maybe its the aesthetic.

faggot

Mason and Dixon is anything but and its the embodiment of being comfy

It is missing Lord of the Flies.

FUCKING WINNE THE POOH?

Winnie-the-Pooh is not only there, he's non-negotiable. Remember he's in the lowest row. That means he's primarily for younger readers.

Do you have some sort of problem with this?

If so, pick three or four friends to help you, assuming you can find that many, and we'll settle this thing outside. After I've fed you all your teeth, we can discuss whether The House At Pooh Corner deserves a place as well.

STONER

how is the odyssey comfy?

I did and I didn't find it particularly comfortable. Entertaining and interesting, but still requires a decent amount of work on the reader's part. Also I don't find narrative skepticism relaxing and just makes me recursively doubt things which is what I do already.

And if the criteria for comfy is just "I liked it" than it's basically a meaningless chart.