Suddenly

>Suddenly,

ses

Cringe all you want but this world is very hard to substitute or avoid. Try to write yourself and you will see why.

"When out of nowhere"

qoq

>world
word

>had had

world is much deeper though

>property

This is even worse.
Actually it is possible just not to use this word. So, instead of
>Suddenly, a thunder cracked
You can write
>A thunder cracked.
But this "suddenly" adds some authenticity, especially in first-person prose. So it all goes down to a proper execution.

Who's to blame for the train wreck that is the english language?

> >

In that particular case probably Germans.

>all of the sudden

>In conclusion,

>Spectacle

>to be honest
>shaking my head
>famiglia

in german there is no double word shit

The Brits.

Yes, very good. HOWEVER

>>Suddenly,
life has
new meeeeeeeeaning
to meeeeeeeeeee

Then it must be anime's fault.

>TADASHI

Actually SHKASHI has more impact

a wild marian post

>Needless to say,

the problem comes from how many languages went into what we call "english", blame the anglians and saxons, the danes and norse, and finally the norman french.

He probably means that that that probably comes from dass, das.

WHY??!? WHY must you torment me with these jezebels?

I know this was one of Elmore Leonard's rule and I've tried to follow it, but now think it's bullshit. Suddenly is a great word and like someone else said it's very difficult to avoid. In fact, I don't even understand why some dislike it and discourage its use.

False. Actions speak for themselves. If it's "sudden" because it's happening very quickly, then tell me it's fast. If it's unexpected because it's so loud, tell me that. Or if it's sudden because of contextual details, then I should already know. I should FEEL astonished. You writing "Suddenly" doesn't communicate any information to me other than that you haven't shaken a very mediocre, albeit common, mistake.

>Cringe all you want but this world is very hard to substitute or avoid.
>this world is very hard to substitute or avoid.
Why do you have to make me sad

I feel a modifier like "suddenly" only makes sense in the context of humans or other characters that display the ability to be surprised.
So instead of
>suddenyl a thunder cracked
you could say
>thunder cracked. adolf's heart skipped a beat.
except do a better job than that lol.

>a thunder cracked

Kek

>and then

"Suddenly" is used to descibe a perception of an action, not the action itself.
>You writing "Suddenly" doesn't communicate any information to me
If it is such a void word then why it exists in a language?

>thunder cracked. adolf's heart skipped a beat
>pondering the intense heat of a lightning bolt, he suddenly knew the answer to the Jewish Question

Yes there is

...life has new meaning

yall niggas need to learn to show, not tell
KEK

Currently scanning my draft, furiously looking for any instance of a phrase posted in this thread and deleting them quickly and without hesitation.

>thus
>thusly

Dont let Veeky Forums decide your prose m8. Though might be best to get rid of some of these cringe phrases/words

>in conclusion
>Every tech blog post written in the last 15 years by some wanna be writer.
I hate finding a useful article that ends with in conclusion. Fuck you.

>therefore
>hence
>then
>so

Instead of writing "suddenly", just fucking DO IT.

>pericombobulations

That makes no sense.

People say "Um," "Like," "Really," "Super," and "Honestly," all the time, but that doesn't mean its applicable to prose. Suddenly works very seldom; in normal scenes, if you use "suddenly" to introduce an action your writing looks amateur and straight up bad. That's all there is to it.

only if you are a filthy plotfag

We adopted a Golden Retriever!

>From whence
>I would have had to have had
>I’d’ve’d to’ve’d

I’m not half the man I use to be.

The English language were a mistake.

>Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

>Verily

>and but so

>the more she drank

It's fine used sparingly, and usually for mundane things, but amateurs seem to think the only way to make action feel sudden is to literally say it was sudden.

You fucked up, it’s

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

>a thunder cracked

I'm not half the man I used to be.

Hahahaha have a dinosaur.

>now

I thought that was a dog with a fucked up face at first

>indeed,
>after all,

>HE

kek, every fucking time.
Martin should've been jailed for his crimes against literature

The French

how do you want to avoid using "indeed" in academic writing, and why would you? if it flows naturally, why do you think there has to be something wrong with it?

lol

>Hitherto
>Henceforth
>Insofar

>Suddenly, the man with the gun pulled the trigger.
>The man pulled the trigger.

It is a word that can be omitted without loss of meaning in almost all cases.

>Instead of writing "suddenly", just fucking DO IT.
Exactly this. The action is even more sudden without the warning that action is approaching.

Or you could pull a Crane and abruptly drop to a new one line paragraph.

Please, dispel my ignorance with some elaboration.

>get pdf of crime and punishment
>search 'suddenly'
>every page
>check translation
>exact match
Realize Dostoevsky's a hack but no one will listen to you

the question of an 80 IQ academic wannabe

Stephen Crane would emphasize things by doing this:

Jimmie sat nursing his various wounds. He cast furtive glances at his mother. His practiced eye perceived her gradually emerge from a muddled mist of sentiment until her brain burned in a drunken heat. He sat breathless.

Maggie broke a plate.

TX for the elaboration, user. I have done a little work modifying the appearance of poetry on a page. This seems to have a similar effect.

'suddenly' connotes relevance within a contiguous storyline. your example is just counterintuitive formatting masquerading as innovation. To "emphasize" throwaway narrative diversions in this way stinks of rank pretension. But it sounds like you might actually read Crane so . . . you've got bigger problems

A question regarding the
>suddenly
discussion, would it be an option to use an onomatopoeia instead of just stating the action that happens ?
Taking the example of an user earlier in the thread
>Suddenly, the man with the gun pulled the trigger.
>The man pulled the trigger.

Maybe use something like this to create an extra moment of suspense between the time the gun is fired and the character knows that he had been shot.
>BANG
>A sharp pain came into his chest
>he'd been shot by the man
>Growing weak and falling down on his knees
>In his last moments before his final breath he had but one last thought
>why didn't user use "suddenly" to warn him of the man with the gun

>applicable
i think you mean appropriate, because those words are obviously applicable to prose.

>then

lol are you retarded, or just non-German? (redundant I know)

"Suddenly, ..." is at the beginning of the sentence though, preparing the reader from the start for action. It's one of those keywords that prepare the reader for the tone of the scene.

In fact?

Why do you bring up academic writing though? This thread is obviously about artistic literature.

>that that
>had had

I always skip the conclusion because it's just repeating things I already read.

I always read the conclusion because it lets me learn the important parts without needing to pay attention to the preceding material

>I should FEEL astonished.
kek
>You writing "Suddenly" doesn't communicate any information to me other than that you haven't shaken a very mediocre, albeit common, mistake.
You're one of those show, don't tell faggots, aren't you?

>yall niggas need to learn to show, not tell
yall niggas need to drop that show, don't tell meme. it's 2018 lmao xD

>Bдpyг

>THE BEAST WAS STUNNED

I see, this is what I want to be. Suddenly I see, why the hell it means so much to me

> all hell broke loose

>suddenly out of nowhere

To build on this, when I use suddenly to start a paragraph, it's because I'm concerned the transition would be TOO abrupt without it, and I want a speed bump of sorts to alert the reader that the pace is about to change.