Similar books? This is my favorite book

Similar books? This is my favorite book.
>inb4 Gaddis
>inb4 Pynchon
>inb4 post-modern authors
I guess you can list the inb4's if you have recommendations, but I'm fairly familiar with typical post-modern authors.
I really like the way chaos/entropy is embedded in the novel through the prose (mostly unattributed dialogue, cinematic scene transistions, lack of description). So is this one-of-a-kind or is there something comparable out there?

Infinite Jest

What about DFW in general? I've read Infinite Jest, and plan on reading the rest of his work. Are Pale King, Broom of the System, Brief Interviews with Hideous men similar?

Infinite Jest is the work that he spent the most time creating so obviously it's going to be the most rewarding of all of his books. The Pale King has some great writing in it, better than anything he did when it's at its best, but some parts are flimsy and its thematically underdeveloped. Oblivion is his tightest piece of writing and some of his most honest and complex work. Brief Interviews is shaky but has his most creative and experimental pieces. I haven't read Broom of the System except for a few pages in the store and it mostly just seemed like mediocre comedy writing; you can tell he was probably watching a lot of sitcoms and pop movies at the time of its writing. Are you familiar with McElroy?

Not yet, I've preordered the reissue of Women and Men, and am always on the lookout for his books when I got to my used bookstore. But he's on my list.

William Gass
Don Delillo

I think DFW has more in common with Gaddis than Pynchon does, even though V. was obviously influenced by him. I'd be surprised if DFW had never heard of him, he was trying to ffind sincerity and authenticity before it was cool.

I've read some Delillo. The Names went over my head. I'd have to parse it again, but the first read just went way over my head. Have Gass on my list, but he's hard to find; I've yet to find him in a used book store. I've slowly been giving in to the Amazon Jew.

bookdepository.com

What's your verdict on mcelroy?

I have the perfect book for you, but I refuse to give it to you, because I'm too cool for school.

I got lucky once and found a copy of Omensetter's Luck.

Gaddis is name-checked in The Pale King, so DFW was definitely familiar with his work

Please tell me

he taught two Gaddis books at Pomona

Are you the Argentine from a thread from a few weeks ago that had people guessing a book via clues and that book was Adan Buenosayres?

I thought that guy said the book was from Mexico.

What about John Barth, bud?

evan dara. you want the lost scrapbook for something that utilizes JR style narration with french scenes, but is most recognitions-esque, or the lost scrapbook, which is also a condemnation of society/capitalism thats a more explicit treatment on money-related things, though it's more experimental.

I really liked this book -- why is The Recognitions so shit though? My main qualm is none of the characters in it are at all likeable or anything like Bast, Gibbs, Joubert or even J R. Wyatt is like a version of Bast, but a dull version at that. And the other character whose writing a play (I forget his name Hugo.. Humbert?) is purposefully obnoxious...

The first chapter was good but beyond that its just not very original.

A bit bummed out you didn't like it. I think that was the joke--that nobody besides stanley was really someone you could get behind

Oh man :( expected an agressive response, now I'm bummed out that you're bummed out. Im 240~ pages in, so I guess I'll continue but I'm right in the middle of this dull dialogue between Rectall Brown, Basil Valentine and Wyatt which would be fine if only one of the characters was likeable. Haven't seen this Stanley fellow yet so maybe he will redeem it? I do want to like this book but maybe I just don't like the wafting arrogance of the younger Gaddis.

Barth is a prosaic trickster with little substance.

Read Sot-Weed Factor and laughed my ass off. Plan to read his other works.