What is the literary lifestyle?

What is the literary lifestyle?

Reading books and writing books, you pseud faggot

Sterilizing yourself, becoming an alcoholic loner in a foreign country, killing yourself

being depressed but somehow cool, breddy boring desu

The one you're currently living. Just start writing.

killing yourself when you realize how finite the number of actual books you’ll be able to read in a lifetime is, and how it’ll never approach the number you would need to truly understand the world.

Take how many books you read in a year and multiply it by like 40 and ask yourself if that’s enough. Even if you live longer you’ll be too old to think or do anything anyway

why am I such a pessimist Veeky Forums

>reading to understand the world
>not use direct insight instead

>be lonely
>be poor
>forced nomadism
>no literary success
>either crazy gfs or no gfs at all
>literal shit jobs
>occasionally kill people

Posting Peterson threads and then arguing with yourself in said threads

>itinerant is key - do not live in the same place for more than a month. Roots are for plebs.
>drug use - cocaine, amphetamine, opium/heroin. Psychedelics rarely. Benzodiazepines are for neurotic housewives and Stephen King, and are to be avoided, as are all medicinal drugs, esp. anti-depressants
>string of pointless love affairs - again, roots are for plebs.
>existential anxiety is a must
>black leather boots, round steel-frame glasses, yellow camels, black coffee
>mental illness, esp. bipolar disorder and various types of not too debilitating schizotypies
>under no circumstance may you ever do anything unironically; doing so is being a sellout
>under no circumstances should you read or write; that's for nerds who wish to live the literary lifestyle but can't
>romantic poverty - the kind of poverty where you can't afford food because you spent your trustfundbux on champagne, cocaine and fast women, not the kind of poverty where you have to eat lentils - that's for plebs
>preferably, your itinerant lifestyle should take place in Europe; if it takes place in America, you must do it everything twice as ironically as you would in Europe

Schizobucks
Take lsd every day
Do absolutely nothing

Don’t go to college
Do drugs often, become a reckless sociopath so you have lots of experiences and you have a true understanding of human psychology.
Read and write every now and then, work a shitty job.
Life your life, I imagine your young.
Get serious about writing around your 30s. Then you’ll have years to perfect it.

>become a reckless sociopath
How do i do this? Please give detailed instructions

only correct answer ITT

>literally (LITERALLY) anyone can read or write literature
>"literary"

watch Stephan Molymeme videos and imitate him

Write a bleak, vivid novel, that doesn't get any recognition before you die, with influences clearly drawn from a lifestyle of prostitutes and opiate abuse, so high school kids can be upset they have to read it in 30 years.

he isn’t wreckless

>tfw living the literally lifestyle

damn Im so real rigt ow I ca brly evn us n bstrction lke langue ny mor

eat, sleep, write, and a few other things

Literary lifestyle needs you to have lots of sex. Not with yourself.

This would be an amazing board game

Here's how I fantasize about the literary lifestyle. There's a house - tall, Victorian - in the middle of a tree-lined street just on the outskirts of downtown. None of the houses there are well-maintained, but you can tell that they were, at one time, elegant. Inside the house is a group of three or four males, a female, and a rotating cast of lovers, interns, and old burnouts. No one has a job so they spend most of their days lounging around the house smoking cigarettes and drinking port or swish. During the summer they throw outdoor street parties where a plethora of deadbeats and creative types flock for cheap keg beer and mead which one of the house members makes as a hobby. Two of the other members of the house also publish a monthly journal with sympathies to radical fascism or communism and organize protests on the nearby university campus. The owner of the house - an alcoholic who inherited the house from his uncle who spent his later years living alone in the Yukon, is well-connected with some English professors from his time at the university and they're going to help him publish his short story collection, and his girlfriend's poetry collection.

The house only has two rules: if you have no where else to stay, you can stay there for one week and the main house members can either let you stay or kick you out. The second rule is that you're not allowed to complain about anything ever.

This is pseudest, cringeworthiest thing I have ever read in my life.

I'm okay with this except for the first part.

Being a productive and moral member of society.

You are not welcome at the Pseudhouse. You get to stay at your overpriced apartment drinking coffee in the morning and getting to work on time.

Lol well done.

>never reading books
>smoking weed
>drinking alcohol
>being on multiple levels of irony
>not writing books
>eating shrooms and acid

also being schizophrenic, but only ironically

In America it means something different whether you’re male or female. Each has a different ideal aesthetic.

Male: if poor: living in a small apartment or living space possibly through an arrangement with an older person for room an board in exchange for menial labor or care. Sleeping above the garage or in the basement with minimal accommodations. Clothes are thrift purchased. No form of transportation or drives problematic junker/beater/hoopty. Writes in notebooks or salvaged laptop. Friends are outcasts, trannies, drunks, junkies.
Vice is booze related. Love life is problematic or nonexistent.

If rich: trust fund pays for a series of high end apartments/lofts to which are open 24/7 to a gaggle if hangers on and users. Raging parties all financed by credit cards with no spending limits. Vice is cocaine or psychedelics, love life is a series of vapid but tight bodied bohemians attempting to tether themselves to the cash flow by any means necessary to avoid the return to their excess-less lives. The car is high high end luxury or sport but poorly kept, the juxtaposition of tarnish and class. (Mercedes G-wagon or Ferrari that hasn’t been washed in three years)

Female: see Sex and the City.
The romanticized literary ideal for women is to be carefree. I don’t think I’ve seen a romanticized ideal where material wealth isn’t intermixed. “Oh, I just write a regular column giving advice to my fellow sisters fighting the good fight” (despite being in early 29’s and having no real world experience upon which to base said avice.) they’ll sleep late and fuck around despite telling others not to as she seeks the perfect man. Her wardrobe is a mishmash of high end shit she luckily happened upon “I can’t belive i did my waiter friend a favor and in return I got these $300 shoes that fit me perfectly!” Seriously, Carrie from Sex and the City

Writing communist propaganda pieces for little mags.

No one should do that.

>he doesn’t write communist propaganda in little mags

>he does

he doesn't have a marxist podcast with 20 listeners

i fucked up the greentext, i'll punish myself now, sorry

>he goes to

Vain

>under no circumstances should you read or write; that's for nerds who wish to live the literary lifestyle but can't
lol

literally me, i guess i made it

i'm living the literary lifestyle,bros

Diogenes - the first and only to live the literary lifestyle

Traveling the world. Stealing books. Learning new languages in the most retarded ways you can think of. Visiting museums. Befriending other pseuds. Falling in love and submitting to a female lover due to her sensuality / intelligence. Be abandoned.
Finally seeing the pseuds for what they are. All the while writing journals or essays you know you'll never submit.
Falling into some sort of addiction. Realizing you're too smart and/or melancholic to be a happy man. Attempting suicide and failing.
Growing old, grey and alcoholic. Re-reading the books that had an impact on your life. Getting diagnosed with some shit that will surely kill you. Trying to put your papers in order or writing a new revised 600k words memoir.
Realizing it's shit. You were always shit. Commiting suicide.

0x40=0

hmmm

underrated post

So how do the utilities get paid for? Also
>jobless bums agitating for communism to impressionable kids in school
>like a drug dealer
Imagine my shock

>like a drug dealer

Correct. You need to stop thinking that the literary life is glamorous. Especially in the early stages, it is ugly and dark.

>How do they pay utilities?

A couple of the interns work at a nearby used bookstore/coffee shop down the street. In exchange for free rent, they chip towards utilities. And one of the housemate's girlfriend is a normie with a job. She cooks and sort of cleans when she feels like it.

Too real, man.

I know for a fact that I will die before seventy of a random cancer or illness. And the desperate "trying to put your papers in order and writing a new 600k word memoir" is in the back of my mind all the time.

drinking cheap lambrusca wine on the hills overlooking rome, finding great new bands in wearhouses all over london

killing yourself

I know it's not glamorous. Just look at James Joyce, the absolute parasitic bums that he was. It just doesn't deserve to be exalted as an ideal or identity to live up to. It's as unsustainable as thug culture or drug culture: a whole subset of the population killing each other/themselves in order to live up and demonstrate authenticity to some fleeting conception of what defines that social identity. What a gaffe. Just get a job, integrate with your community as much as you can: even if you don't share the same interests that just means you can have more lively conversations than merely patting each other on the back, by introducing each other to new ideas and broadening each other's horizons; be amicable with your neighbors, and experience all of the beatific cultural icons that the people who came before us have left for us. If you want people to champion your cause they should be able to see the validity of that cause in its manifestation of wellness that has proliferated upon on its proselytizers. Be an accomplished person whose domain of influence is in proper order. If I look at somebody and see disarray and a bunch of junkies proud to inhabit such disheveled squalor, I'm going to make the immediate assessment that these people and their likeness are to be avoided because what they speak or believe engender some generative capacity over what they inhabit, and I don't want to live in/like a ghetto. Your domicile sounds like it attracts moths and is local to petty street-crime that didn't used to exist there at some point in someone's recent memory but recently took welcome in the neighborhood because it perceived like it was around like personality-types. I hope one day you'll be able to afford a nice home with a polite little family in a quiet neighborhood.

if you write, you write short mundane stories or scenes either about nothing or about depression, perhaps with some magical or fantastical or sci-fi twist. the longest time you've spent on a project is a week. you tell yourself it's going to be a short story collection, but it wont be.

>if you write, you write short mundane stories or scenes either about nothing or about depression
Leave me alone.

delete this

Being half drunk at home after the friend you met with went home early because of sickness and your other friends are either not in your town atm or busy elsewhere or simply don't exist, and now you think about writing that short story inspired by that longo painting which dangles in ur mind since you visited his exibit last week but ultimately you just end up browsing Veeky Forums instead and fapping and some ASMR shit and such.

also this, so so much it physically hurts

no

sounds like a soy infested fight club