Can I get some recommendations on a good Koran translation? Kinda getting bored with the Bible

Can I get some recommendations on a good Koran translation? Kinda getting bored with the Bible.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W--uMzcaAsk
youtu.be/35CaLzU7qvg?t=2m41s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>reading the Bible in its entirety
game over, user

You know how breaking bad was awesome and better call Saul was a shitty spin off?
Don’t read the Koran

This made me cry laughing

1734, George Sale
1861, John Medows Rodwell
1880, Edward Henry Palmer
1664, Alexander Ross

All the other translations are written by people with very limited grasp of the english language or some kind of globalist kike.

Literally who?

OP read either the Muhammad Asad translation or the Abdel Haleem translation. Muhammad Pickthall is good too. Oh, and the Study Quran if you want lots of commentary (it's a little controversial for some perennialist views). The Asad version I mentioned also has extensive commentary.

Read a kids version with drawings and stuff.

Read the Book of Mormon instead, it's like white American Islam.

All the people you listed are either kikes or incompetent money hungry charlatans.

>christard triggered

You don’t need to read the Koran

>Kinda getting bored with the Bible.

This seems like a false flag.

>reading translations
>for the Koran of all books
Just learn Arabic you pleb, it's only literary worth is it's prose

The older the better user
I only read the old translations of Bible and Quran
It is really interesting on its own the words and expressions they use

Trips confirm
Do this OP

I wouldn't go in with that mindset user. Sounds like you read the Bible for "literary merit" rather than its gnosis and you're expecting some new literature from the Quran? If so, that's fine, but you'll be disappointed unless you learn Arabic. If you're not interested in Islam as belief system the Quran may not be of much interest to you in English. It reads more like a handbook for how to be a good Muslim than a book of stories like the Bible.

this

religious texts like the bible and quran are a waste of time

Breaking bad was overhyped mediocrity son

>bored of the bible
Almost like its a badly written smash up of a hundred different mythical stories with the goal to control and coerce.

>contemplating the meaning of life, your origin and destiny, and the existence of God is a waste of time!
yes, best to just dwell in the mud and think about how to make money or write pretty novels

>becoming virtuous is a trick! stay greedy, selfish and narrow-minded!
yep! real freedom is just doing what you want all the time

ironically christians are the least virtuous and most narrow minded people

Ex-muslim here. Quran is pretty boring desu

quran is gonna be the same 2bh, you'll get bored halfway through baqara.

Is there a website where I can easily compare translations of different passages?

only God would know who is the least virtuous,
Christians at least have a foundation to build upon and something to aim for, the atheists and fags and commies and hedonists are in a much more terrible position

yea well lets face it he doesn't exist

>now tip the waitress

>I'm beholden to a bunch of nonsense that seeks to control all my thoughts and emotions, but you guys are the real slaves
Nice try user

The two good translations are Yusuf Ali and Muhammad Marmaduke Pickthall. Yusuf Ali is the most common and beloved, but personally I prefer to Pickthall translation

don't listen to these brainlets, read Sahih International

I have to say OP that the Quran really loses it's greatness when translated. I'm not saying learn arabic for the sake of one book but whichever translation you read i would recommend you watch recitations on youtube after.
It is extremely poetic, I am not religious but there are times when reading (in arabic) that i am at awe and feel chills running down my spine.

Eg/
youtube.com/watch?v=W--uMzcaAsk

youtu.be/35CaLzU7qvg?t=2m41s
this too, to demonstrate how poetic it sounds.

>that one nigga crying his eyes out, inspired by verses that damn the kuffar
sheeeit I can see why they take it upon themselves to kill non-believers en masse

You think reading books which were the foundations of nations/ideologies/art/culture that we see today is a waste of time. I think it is quite important to read and learn about these Ideologies since they have such a great impact on our societies that it almost seems ignorant to avoid reading them.

>>going to heaven is a trick! stay complacent, dull and enslaved!
>yep! real freedom is being told what to think, believe and do!

Nigga, why are you saying this about the bible. Have you ever seen how devoted Muslims are?

Unlike Xtianity they didn't go through the process of refining the faith into one definitive text. The many Hadiths matter more than the Koran depending on where you take you shoes off, behave like a slave and listen to whatever smelly moron they've named imam

Quran takes precedence over hadith.

>Breaking bad was overhyped
Breaking bad jumper the shark when it became a world wide cultural fenomen so around season 5.
I started watching the show when the 3rd episode aired, at the time it was just a small black comedy about nerd revenge.
The show peaked with season 2 and 3, it was till about a show of a professor turned drug dealer and his slow alienation from family life and conformity.
People tend to forget that Breaking Bad is not in episodes like the final season where all kind of shit happens, but episodes like season 2 that are spendt with walter moping around the house cleaning the pool and doing mondane stuff. The first 3 season were about small choices with long term consequences. Just look at the art for the second season to get an idea of what the show was about.
With season 4 the show started getting a lot of success, they tried to do a season even slower than the first 3 but in the context of an action movie. It partially worked, partially because it wasn't no more about Walter and his alienation and power fantasy or a average joe caught in things bigger then him: it became a show about angry people wanting to be badass. That said the walter and jesse parts worked really good. Then season 5 started and walter wasn't no more the cancer ill average joe who goes crazy but a criminal. The show around the time started to remind us that walter did this because it made him happy like it wasn't obvious since season 2. The parable of the average joe wanting to feel something more became scarfac with fedoras, Walter white became a cool guy for some reason.
It was a cop out and a cowardly fashion to end the show.
People who watched the show on Netflix forgot how much of a slow burn this show was and instead of ending it in line with the show, the creator rather made something that redditors and netflix users liked.
There was nothing cool or admirable in walter before season 4. After that he became xxxleheisenbergxxx and the show went to shit.
>But the transformation from average to scarface was the whole point!
No it wasn't. The point was a man ending up being a kingpin against all ods, his will and because of choices he made, because he never said enough. Instead we got le Heisenberg revenge against comic book villains and somehow the show wanted to empathize and cheer for him after 4 seasons bulding up to him becoming as despicable as possible while still being the average joe.

Well the criticism applies to all religions.

wow this is a really good take, all of it. when i watch this show i remember enjoying parts of it but this kind of investigation i never really got around to thinking about because i spent so much time being baffled by the obvious racism elements that Liberal Hollywood is supposedly better than. But yeah, all good points, particularly about how the show was understood before it became Bryan Cranston: Gangsterman

aw fuck forgot to quote the thread because i'm a big dumbass

>religions just tell you what to think!
religions provide ideas and guides, you can take them or leave them.
Your argument only works if someone has a sword to your throat and is coercing you.
Or do you think you can learn nothing from no one and you already have all the answers?

This guy is a great orientalist and translator, he's not muslim [as far as I know] which makes his translation much more pure.

hamza yusuf gave that translation to George Bush as a gift.

It kinda is. I read it myself and found it very boring from time to time. Maybe is the because is translated, so lose the musicality in arabic (tho I hear some passages online and it didn't sounded the greatness people claim).
>only God would know who is the least virtuous
Typical excuse to keep being a prick without reason.
>The many Hadiths matter more than the Koran depending on where you take you shoes off
The Quran is (in theory) more important than the hadith. Majority, if not all our problems today dealing with islam is because of hadith interpretation and stupid fatwas
Dis nig gets it
>religions provide ideas and guides, you can take them or leave them.
Not entirely true
>Your argument only works if someone has a sword to your throat and is coercing you.
>have a God threatning you that you will burn in Hell forever if you step your toe out of line
>only if someone has a sword to your throat
I think this is 24/7 when there are dieties doing it.

here
Holy shiet. This sounds bad ass.
Wtf, I am a muslim now

>>have a God threatning you that you will burn in Hell forever if you step your toe out of line
if you disagree with the religion then hell isn't even a credible threat. so it doesn't coerce you.
if you follow the religion then hell isn't a credible threat because you're on the path of salvation.

>I think this is 24/7 when there are dieties doing it.
if you're a disbeliever but you still feel coerced by hell then you're totally confused

>if you disagree with the religion then hell isn't even a credible threat. so it doesn't coerce you.
This is true, desu.
>if you follow the religion then hell isn't a credible threat because you're on the path of salvation.
This is a half-truth tho. Tho I am from the same argument, when you read majority of religious texts they always come with a order to follow, and if you step a toe out of line, is like you are the worst human being ever.
Alright, I get it, some of the commendments are from cultural sources, but still, it's a form of social coesion by threat, the threat you will be punished forever in the after life. Honestely, personaly, I think people who belief should be more concerned with being a good member of society than pleasing every bullshit some old text says. I bet a lot of religious groups would be more well accepeted if this was their primary concern.
Maybe I am just a heathen tho.
>if you're a disbeliever but you still feel coerced by hell then you're totally confused
Fair point, desu.

Do any of you mongs actually read?

Did you even read the Torah yet?

this is Veeky Forums, no one actually reads

not just believing there is god, let alone a god with codified laws says you're either scared of your mortality probably due to the fact you have never achieved anything so far and if not that autistic

Better Call Saul is fucking great. LOG OFF

yes but only to go from moderate lefty to intersectional,anti-white Hegelite.

yea i dont want these weird fucks living near me

Why not read an actual book? What do you get out of these archaic texts

AJ Arberry is excellent.

>being this beholden to your flesh
have fun being a slave

the Qur'an being shit is a meme, but to me no sacred text has ever touched me like the NT did.

The only Qur'an translation worth reading is the Study Qur'an, despite being perennialist.