Thoughts on this guy?

Thoughts on this guy?

Love Norm MacDonald. No one funnier.

?

?

he's the greatest, one of the few writers with a real powerful style (do you know some novelists he inspired ?)

I think he's great.

His whole shtick is pretty limited really (pick a spiritual crisis in someone's life; write about "simple" physical incidents which parallel said crisis) but the important thing is how he gets all the little details SO right.

I guess my favourites are all the old familiar ones (Fat, Cathedral, etc) but I really do like Everything Stuck To Him as well and no-one else ever mentions that one.

A magician, honestly one of the greatest writers of the past 100 years. He achieves so much with so little

I wonder who wrote the best american realistic short stories, him, Flannery O'Connor, or Hemingway ?Someone else ? I'd say probably him.
He was limited on his subjects, but who else isn't ? Bukowski spent his whole life writing about drunkards, Fante kinda always wrote the same book over and over again, still they're great

Great. My favs: Viewfinder, So Much Water So Close to Home, They're not your Husband

I have to reread him. Just like good poetry, after almost each story I was left with a feeling of melancholy awe and at the same time uneasiness: did I really get what that was about? All that was left between the lines--which is, with Carver, most of it? There's always the fear I'm missing something.

Oh, and I love his titles. He also has great ending lines or paragraphs.

Raymond Carver, you plebs.

Yeah his titles rule. The trouble is he's colonized so many simple, basic words and now no-one else can use them.

It's a bit like the people who bought up sugar.com, coffee.com and all those domain names back in the 90s.

The detective story guy? There's another thread by him going currently. We don't need two for him.

No no no. The blue collar alcoholic dysfunctional marriage minimalist.

the ending of Neighbors is pure kino.

You mean Hemingway? Get your facts straight, boy.

>Hemmingway
>blue collar

Aside from Harry Morgan and the great white eternal Anglo hunting guide in The Short Happy Life of Francis McComber, none of those fuckers worked.

I actually cried when I read Catherdral.

Literally who

>Flannery O'Connor
>realistic
Nah.

I didn't understand Viewfinder or Mr. Coffee and Mr. Fixit. What was I missing?

Yeah, it was really bad.

Bump

kek

Original title of Everything Stuck To Him is Distance, and editor cut 45% of story.

What you're saying is absurd to actually think about. You cry when you read something bad?

Read his collected poetry, it's very good.

Is the original available anywhere?

burp