/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

Magical Rivers Edition
>list sff books with magical or unexplained water ways
>what was the last magical water creature you read about?

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries:
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

b-ok.org/s/?q=Childhood's End
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>the Lord of Water spoke

dume

sanderfag a hack

>how did you know she tortured prisoner?

because seviarian remembers about how her and her friends would sneak into the prison through the secret door and whip the prisoners with electric whips for fun

he also mentions later about how hes come to realize that thecla was a crude petty and stupid women (aka she was a women)

Daily reminder to not start the last day, it's not enjoyable!

Downloads: b-ok.org/s/?q=Childhood's End

Sixth for Webnovels are novels too

Brainlet woman pleonasm here, do we ever see Baldanders again after he hulk-jumps into lake Diuturna at the end of Sword of the Lictor?
I'm at my third readthrough and though I missed a lot the first time and filled the blanks during the second one, I still can't find anything about Baldanders.
To my excuse, I intentionally left the end of Claw of the Conciliator (Why didn't I remember so many things happened?) and Citadel of the Autarch behind to read just those 2 again a few more times.
All in all I think the books make good in explaining pretty much anything.

Philip K Dick is my waifu desu

>he also mentions later about how hes come to realize that thecla was a crude petty and stupid women (aka she was a women)
pleonasm

We don't hear anything about Baldanders after the lake that I know of, but my theory is that he aims to become like Abaia, a huge underwater sea monster with massive influence on what happens on land.

However the last time I expressed this opinion on /sffg/ someone called me a brainlet

>pleonasm
That's redundant.

Your post is needlessly redundant my dude.

14th for severian & his travels

Someone post the dune chart please

I mean Hyperion, oops

Not the guy you were responding to, but I thought you were referring to the phantom thing that appeared in the prison while everyone was sleeping, terrorized everyone, and shot Jonas. I don't remember anything about Thecla whipping the prisoners, although it has been a while since I read it.

Has anyone heard of any news about Glen Cook finally finishing this series. I really liked it.

I love you pleonasm user

Is the Sprawl series as good as people have hyped them up to be?

It's very unlikely there will be a 5th book. IIRC in a interview he said it got canceled while he was writing the third book, hence the very rapid end to the series in the 4th book. Sadly humanity just wasn't ready for 1300s gunpowder crusades fantasy series set in the Mediterranean.

There's gonna be a new Black Company book in September though, takes place between the first two books.

I like Neuromancer more now that I'm an adult.

His Blue Ant series is pretty good BTW. It's essentially a series of psuedo-cyberpunk technothrillers about washed up punk rockers and advertising gurus working for a Belgian advertising exec hunting the latest cool thing. It shouldn't work, but it does and it's good.

the whole reason he knows there is a secret door is because thecla and the rest of the court whores used to use it to whip the prisoners for fun and he has theclas memories remember?

again, he also points out later in the story that in reality thecla was cruel and stupid and not the idealized image he made of her

>thecla on the left

>Cynical enough to not enjoy 99% of genre fiction, and constantly criticize everything
>Not talented enough to write anything of my own

Enjoyed this quite a tad.

what the fuck are those things in pic related?

>annna
>female writer writing about killing
I bet at the end there is a love triangle.

Saw that on the new arrivals shelf at the local library, looked interesting but didn't get it because I've got a bunch of other stuff to read.

who hurt you?

People aren't hurt any more in most families, they're not cared enough about for parents to bother to hurt them

Being raised by an absent single mom will also cause that sort of resentment, to be fair.

>ill get back to writing fantasy
>some day

How can I get through a clark a smith story without cringing?

>The No-God will start several weeks after the events of The Unholy Consult and is expected to span at least two books, although Bakker has acknowledged it may expand to three volumes. No publication date is set for the first book, although Bakker has already begun work on it.

I am moist with anticipation.

It's great if you love cyberpunk. Neuromancer started up a lot of the themes of the whole genre.

Looks interesting, I'll see if a local bookstore has it.

>start several weeks
I expected a bigger jump. The remnants of the Ordeal will still be far North at that point.

Also Bakkerfags: Is Shauriatas still alive? Did he assimilate the Dunyain that attempted to subvert the Consult? Is it all a mega-ruse?

>grimly prophetic tale

what?

You don't remember when we were all subsumed into the Overmind?

A jade tube? When Song Shuhang saw the object, he blurted out the name of an object in his mind, "Technique Transmitting Jade Slip?"

It was also called a Heritage Jade Slip, a Skill Inheriting Jade Slip, or something like that.

This was one of the must-haves for heroes in Xianxia novels. By placing it onto one’s head, the techniques and other stuff recorded in it would be imprinted onto one’s mind! Even a fool could remember a whole technique with it!

"You're thinking too much..." Medicine Master shrugged his shoulders. "A Technique Transmitting Jade Slip is precious, even priceless. It will only be used to record the most precious techniques that couldn’t be recorded with words. It’s not worth it to record common Foundation Establishment techniques like these with a Technique Transmitting Jade Slip."

Only the most precious techniques containing the laws of heaven and earth and the principles of the Great Way, which couldn’t be recorded with words, and would be erased by the power of heaven and earth even if they were recorded with words forcefully, would need to be recorded with something as precious as ‘Technique Transmitting Jade Slip’.

"Then what's this?" Song Shuhang asked.

"It's just an ordinary USB flash drive. To be honest, mortal technology is getting more and more advanced, and many of the things they have invented are also very handy for cultivators. A small USB flash drive can contain the contents that used to fill a whole scripture library, and you can even add videos into it. It is really convenient." Calmly, Medicine Master shattered the fantasies of Song Shuhang once again.

>mega ruse

Shauriatas was definitely killed offscreen. The mutilated dunyain had no reason to lie to Kellhus once he saw through the hologram.

I buy a lot of cheap SF because of the cover art. I just bought this cause it was $1 and I actually laughed out loud in the store when I saw it. I have no idea if it's actually the finest novel of alien invasion ever written, but it probably is.

>bakkerfags convince me to read their meme series
>massive fucking buildup over seven (7) books
>war of all wars, battle of all battles
>shaeonanra jobs
>kellhus jobs
>aurang jobs
>aurax jobs
>cnaiur jobs
>sorweel jobs
>the fucking devil himself jobs twice
>esmenet still alive and still a nagging bitch

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

>main character's superpower is to shoot TWO bullets

holy...

That's being a bit disingenuous. Powder mages can also
>adjust the path of bullets
>use gunpowder as cocaine to see further, be more focused, etc
>blow up gunpowder from a distance or make gunpowder not go off

It unironically is. It's a great and fun read. You will learn to fear those chubby elephants, belive me.

They do if they're not Dunyain at all, but Shauriatas wearing Dunyain bodies.

The antagonists were the only thing that really interested me about those books because of how truly evil and unholy they came across when compared to villains from other epic fantasies. But then you find out the boring fucking Dûnyain have been in control for years before the second series even begins and what a kick in the chicklets that was. I mean I get it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Shae is still alive. He took over the Dunyain. Pay attention to the dream with him and Nau-Cayuti, then notice how the Dunyain speak when Kellhus meets them. constantly finishing each others sentences in sequence. As if one soul was moving between them.
Kellhus' jobbing has been built up since the first series.
Aurang was a bit disappointing, I admit.
Aurax was interesting and I suspect he's actually been like that a long time. Might be there's a reason he so rarely left the Ark.
Cnaiur didn't job, he became the fucking God of Hate.
Sorweel was the biggest let down of the series so far.
Esmi is fine now.

Dunyain are hideously evil.

They're dull as dishwater.

Well they don't have to be. Bakker just hasn't fleshed them out very well. I don't think they're actually in charge anyway. See:

Bakkerfaggotry So is Ajokli still stomping around aimlessly in the ancient North as an incarnate God? That seems kind of awkward.

Was it ever explained why the muslim wizards sorcery was "pure" or whatever? And if it was explained was it explained why that mattered?

It's not pure, it just doesn't look different from regular reality. Kellhus offered an explanation but like anything Kellhus says, take it with a grain of salt. Supposedly their sorcery runs on pure passion and somehow the sentiment masks the fact that their products are artificial. Nonetheless chorae still counteract them and kill Cishaurim, and they may well still go to hell.

Just went through my BD wishlist and the total amount is 600 euros. I'm still going to get it all in one swoop though.

It'd be a nice surprise if the reason why the demon-gods send people to hell for using sorcery was because their souls can use that sorcery in the afterlife to potentially fight the demon-gods

>Cnaiur didn't job, he became the fucking God of Hate.
Which chapter is this? In the last book, right?

Look at that, it's actually possible to have a good cover on a contemporary fantasy book.

>court of broken knives

this may literally be the least original title of a fantasy novel i've ever seen. i think all three of those words have shown up on multiple recent titles.

>Shae is still alive. He took over the Dunyain. Pay attention to the dream with him and Nau-Cayuti, then notice how the Dunyain speak when Kellhus meets them. constantly finishing each others sentences in sequence. As if one soul was moving between them.

>They do if they're not Dunyain at all, but Shauriatas wearing Dunyain bodies.

Yeah, I wasn't really talking about the name as much as the art.

be my gf please

>who hurt you?
Why do females and pussy whipped cucks like to ask that question anytime it looks like a guy has something negative to say about a woman. It's like they want me to worship females or some shit.
I'm not looking to procreate, so I don't put women on a fucking pedestal.

is gyoll a magical river?

No.

In fact there is no magic in the Book of the New Sun

>>court of broken knives
>court
of
>broken empire series
>book of knives

>reading Gibson
>story starts in the middle of character doing some weird high-tech shit with no explanation of what it is
>one sentence namedrops references to surrealist art, sewer engineering, neuroscience and street food
>1 of the above is a fictional neologism while the other 3 actually exist IRL
>you can't tell which is which

I love this guy but I wish I was less of a brainlet to be able to actually read more than 1 page an hour of his work.

Do you guys think that outer lit actually enjoys reading pretentious Russian babbling #5? You think deep down they actually like "muh classics", or are just stuck on the stage where reading is a status symbol?

>Read original prince of nothing trilogy
>Decide to read the wiki for the rest
When the fuck did this turn from philosophical fantasy to sci-fi rapealien fuckfest. "Progenitors"? Seriously?

Worth reading, /sffg/?

no

yes

Fuck yes.

Started reading the earthsea series by Ursula Guin... and yea, why the love for this series again? It feels like it lacks dialogue, and character building. The only person I feel like the main character has developed a worthy relationship with is hos friend Vetch.

Maybe because you're reading a book by someone who contributed to the reason why that comic exists.

OP I would strongly recommend Mythago Wood

were there any gay/lesbian/trans people at all in the Kingkiller Chronicle so far?
find it weird that there aren't with how much of a raging sjw he is.

>>>reddit

there's a bunch of people here who read sanderson, my man. this place was pretty much /sandg/ when Oathbringer came out.

What's wrong with him as an author?

some people call him 'popcorn fantasy'. there's not some giant flaw or fetish he has in particular like some other authors, they just feel that he's pedestrian. he has good ideas and can execute them consistently, though.

I frequent both outer Veeky Forums and /sffg/ and I can honestly say that I enjoy pretentious Russian babbling. Of course there's loads of shitty classics (and books in general) shilled on Veeky Forums but isn't the same true for this thread?

No.

>2018
>"assume my gender" jokes

libtards trolled XD

Who hurt you?

Didn't get a response last thread but I'll try again, whats a good followup read after Lyonesse if I really liked Glyneth?

Has anyone read Jin Yongs 'Legend of the Condor'? Thinking of picking it up.

Library at mount char

>but my theory is that he aims to become like Abaia, a huge underwater sea monster with massive influence on what happens on land.

I thought this was implied by the fact that he is "constantly growing", also iirc there's more than just one giant down there which furthermore implied to me that maybe they all made themselves as Baldanders did

Have you tried not being retarded?

will publishers be more willing to publish my fantasy book if I make the MC a female?

you can always self-publish through amazon.
its apparently lucrative enough to warrant making it a full time job for "indie" authors.

As an English major, no most of what Veeky Forums considers literary fiction is not even enjoyable. Some is, mostly pre-20th century, because thats when authors began basically just jerking themselves off over how cool and edgy they were. Of course before the 20th century there wasn't really a hard line between "literary" and "genre" fiction, so that might also explain why the former took such a nose-dive

most pre-20th century literature is awful, they stretch a 200 page novel into 600

The womameme meme is not actually a meme, user. You should have listened

What did you think I was talking about, Jane Austin? Pre-20th means everything between Homer and 1900 AD

Male MCs still sell better. Publishers are still more interested in what will sell. You still have better odds if your MC is a white dude.

Let's be honest, you have the best odds these days if you're publishing gritty fantasy with at least half a dozen viewpoints,
so mix it up a bit.

Checked, but what the fuck?! Why are you on this board with a ridiculous take like that??? You're really going to group all pre-20th century literature together like that? Are you fourteen years old or something?

No one cares what your fucking college major is, retard. It doesn't make your shitty opinion any more relevant.

One post a couple threads ago said you get paid (at KU), half a cent per page. That's slavery. 300p = 1.5$ per person. You need 1000 readers/month to be able to make a living.

you can decide if you want your book on KU or not.
apparntly though even though the rates seem low. it seems to generate a comfortable revenue overall.

Following Youtube on Twitter seems really strange to me.
But then, subscribing to someone because of the colour of their skin does too. Guess I'm just old fashioned.

Attached: iain m banks opens a restaurant.jpg (1024x820, 931K)

>Which chapter is this? In the last book, right?
Yes. Cnaiur ascends into Ajokli incarnate and tries to kill Kellhus, who he assumes is the No-God. Unfortunately despite being aware of the No-God's existence, Ajokli is still blind to it and can't actually fight it, so Cnaiur-Ajokli just kind of wanders around calling for Kellhus' blood but not doing anything