Books about marginalized folks and systems of oppression...

Books about marginalized folks and systems of oppression. I'm a straight white dude who is sincerily seeking to understand the plight of people who might not be as straight, male or white as I am. What are some books which would help me understand oppresion?

If you check out the early chapters of the book 'Flowers for Algernon' you will get a decent first person perspective on what it's like to be a PoC

Jordan B. Peterson - 12 Rules for Life

The "I'm underprivileged because I'm not white" is a literal meme, dude. You should realize that for a long time people have played the race card, and will continue to do so. Does that mean that no one who's not white isn't oppressed? No, it just means you have to sit through 98% liberals complaining if you want to know about actual trials and oppression, like the Rwandan genocide for instance

You can't learn that kind of things from books. Go out there and get to know people from beyond your world to expand you understanding.

Crenshaw's On Intersectionality

Your image filename says intersectionality.jpg so you may already be aware of the concept and the author

This is a pretty good book. It doesn't really dig as deep into the issues in terms of pure factual explanation but i think its a great history book that is very important for understanding post-modern thought.

what about some books that will help me understand the oppression of queer people? I'm sadly not very familiar with the history of the community but I do realize queerphobic attitudes are a systemic problem to which all people like me contribute

Jon Rawls' a theory of justice is also kind of related too, I guess. It's not specifically about opression and more about equality, but there you go.

t. white dude

Jesus Christ. Stop this disgusting self-flallegation right now. How about you "sincerely" read some philosophy, and THEN read the garbage theory this stuff is based on. Please use your brain before you buy into something.

your image is a white chick though

Define white privilege. Be specific. Give examples. I'm listening. Also how would something like affirmative action not be considered black privilege?

Nice catch, champ.

but the cannon of philosophy as we know it is eurocentric, it was made by straight white dudes FOR straight white dudes. Its hard seeing the relevance and the sublimity of all those white male philosophers when they also said such horrible things about women, queers and people of color. and I am saying this as a straight white dude myself

>tfw gay and watching all these pathetic little straight cucks submitting to me...
a century ago I would have been the submissive, the rejected, the subhuman... but now you all bow down before me of your own accord, infected by a morality which serves my ends, bent prostrate for reasons you barely understand, my sexuality a holy mystery to you, forced reverence...

You don't need a book, just get one of pic related and try fitting a circular peg into a square hole, then start screaming at the toy because square holes don't fit circular pegs, all the while blindly ignoring circular holes because separate is not equal.

Bullshit. Human reason supercedes all categories of race and gender. Your assumption that gender is primary is groundless and indefencible.

Why are you asking Veeky Forums

That's what non-whites don't get. "white priviledge" is not oppression. It's the fact that whites created these institutions, and of course that means that they will best suit the interests and abilities of white people. The fact that this upsets non-whites is just a symptom of their inability to create their own institutions and consequent need to parasitically attach themselves to something not meant for them.

the concept of universal western reason has been used to justify imperialism and the genocide and continued oppression of queers, women and people of color

>thousands of years of man clawing tooth and nail with every inch of his intellect to understand the universe
>see the morals of today slowly take shape
>see science spring forth from natural philosophy and slowly fill in the gaps of our ignorance allowing us to realize being gay is a part of nature, that aids isn't a gay curse, that all races are generally the same, that women deserve the same rights as men and arent inferior
>most of those men are white so why would anything they say be relevant to men who aren't white?

honestly wtf are you on about? I can't even begin to understand where you're coming from without ascribing white angst to your position.

>Human reason supercedes all categories of race and gender
That's actually a fairly modern perspective. Kant certainly didn't think aboriginal people were autonomous and resonable beings.

>a symptom of their inability to create their own institutions and consequent need to parasitically attach themselves to something not meant for them.
end thread
end all gender and race studies also

And he would be right, because reason is subject to development like anything else, and therefore we are proud of what we have cultivated.

>human reason
t. materialist fundy. libs are some of the most racist people imaginable in that they seek to force their particular perverted varient of white thinking onto other peoples. Take blacks for example. Common sense dictates that for ~90% of them school beyond 5th grade is not useful or healthy, yet liberal materialist zeal dictates that the white man knows best.

>because reason is subject to development like anything else
No it isn't. It's intrinsic to human beings.

white people have benefited from unearned affirmative action for the last 500 years

Human beings are subject to development.

m8 u fucking what

That's a meaningless statement. You'll be hard pressed to find any group of peoples that lack any sort of self-determination.

??????

kek, not sure if you were being sarcastic but I've heard non whites say this shit and it's depressing af. They've internalized the white definition of success as their own. It's like the child of a borderline pd mother, absolute codependency and lack of individuation. As a white man this is p disturbing. I guess it's ultimately our fault for pushing so hard with colonialism.

Again, I asked you to be specific and it seems you can't actually define what white privilege is or give concrete examples

Your thoughts are so unclear I can't understand what you're saying.

>I can't understand what you're saying.
Why discuss Kant if you ignore the basics, then, hmmm?

are you fucking blind? Donald Trump is fucking president

>straight white dude
rote, seen at least 5-10 shitlib journos and actors say that exact phrase “straight white DUDE” in the last 5 years

how does it feel being an agent of a political agenda that doesn’t care about you in the least? it’d be like being a jewish nazi i guess

god fucking damnitt i just realized this was bait, well played OP

Notice how you always hear "white guys" over "white men" now?

t. blue haired lesbian

If you can't make your point without jargon, I'll assume you're the one who doesn't understand Kant.

>Donald Trump is fucking president
Because the Republican party adopted new rules that they failed to playtest in the aftermath of the 2012 attempted coup by the Ron Paul deligates, and the Democratic Party decided it was Hillary Clinton's turn.

She was pretty much the only person he could have beat

If you want a really brief and boiled down explanation, Kant considered human beings worth of consideration under the categorical imperative based on the idea that human beings are autonomous agents, that is, self-determined and able to manifest their own will, as opposed to, say, animals, who are completeley heteronomous and thus subject to external causes.

This ability to trascend their own circumstances is unique to human beings and, as it stands, pretty much intrinsic to all of them. As I said, you'd be hard pressed to find any group of peoples who simply aren't self-determined.

You should probably first define what you mean by development. If you're bringing race realism into the mix, you should at least have the balls to bring it out and not pussyfoot around it like the coward crypto-fascist that you are.

Their plight doesn't matter. They are oppressed because they are mediocre.

Ok? Last time I checked illegal immigration was still illegal. Also you're referring to the president, not how the average huwh*te male is in your eyes so ebil.

Not who you responded to, there is probably infinite manifestations, but some off the top of my head are simple things we don't notice. WP is growing up watching tv and movies where 99percent of the characters look like you, your politicians and local business owners look like you. People don't look at you like you're going to steal things every time you go into a convenience store, not being generally harassed by law enforcement, etc. it's a bunch of almost unnoticeable little perks white people get that they don't even think matter. No one is asking white people to feel bad or guilty. It's more about just fucking chilling out and not making a big deal about it when someone else gets a seat at the table.

Concrete examples? How about black men being overrepresented in prison. How about women making 60 cents on the dollar compared to men. How about literally all women living in fear of being sexually harassed by MEN. How about women not being able to walk down the street at night without fear of a man jumping out and raping her? Have you had enough or should I keep going?? How about women not being CEOs? How about women being underrepresented in STEM fields. How about blacks being murdered in Chicago because of white politicians' gun laws? I could go on and on. But you enjoy your privilege .

shouldn't it be called black disadvantage instead of white privilege because asians and non-puerto rican hispanics also have the same "privilege"

Thank you for finally giving a reasonable answer, but would the same thing not happen to whites in a majority black country?

blacks are overrepresented in prison because they are overrepresented in murder and robbery, women are paid less than men because they have less credentials and negotiate less, are u really tryna come with these basic bitch talking points?

So to manifest reason is to be human. And reason manifests itself in time. So there are degrees of self-determination, and thus civilisation – and it is quite possible to distinguish between them, without recourse to "race realism," or whatever else bullshit jargon you can think of.

Worm aren't in STEM because *news flash* they'd rather do other things. This is how the world works. Trying to force women to go into stem when they don't want to won't necessarily make it more appealing to them, in fact it might have the opposite effect. Also "muh pay gap" is based on overall earnings, not accounting for different fields, hours worked, etc. I would go into more detail but you're to lazy to do a google search so I'm too lazy to explain it to you properly.

>So there are degrees of self-determination
Which degrees? Sounds like a completely arbitrary classification to me, prove it isn't.

the pay gap is going away, at least nominally since companies figured out they can trick women by changing their job titles into something nice sounding but low paying, and switch the actual high earning positions into something nondescript that women won't go into b/c they can't use it for social capital.

well didn't napoleon say something about that like "men will die for a ribbon"

i'm white and i don't care. you can't make me. it's trouble enough getting out of bed in the morning. if i have white privilege, good, thats one thing in life that isn't out to get me. does it seem fair in the big picture? no. but you can't expect me to solve that. i'm just trying to earn money for groceries to keep this horrifying biological machine running. i don't have time to worry about the moderately disadvantaged in a world of the damned. i don't even care to think about the damned.

everyone, I wrote that long diatribe and I don't even believe any of it. I don't know what it is about Veeky Forums that makes me want to LARP and shitpost.

Human evolution is a fact, however you want to carve it up. So the burden of proof is on you to prove reason is timeless – good luck.

not that I believe in white privilege bullshit at all, but this made me think. If depression makes you unable to empathize with others, does that make recreational drug use, particularly stimulant use to increase energy, the moral choice?

falseflag.

We all know deep down sjws are right about absolutely everything but don't dare admit it even to ourselves

No, no, that's about being MORE white.

You are just a straight guy being flippant about queer suffering and queer oppression because it's nothing to you

>Books about marginalized folks and systems of oppression
You wouldn't be using this language if you weren't already well acquainted with that discourse. I get that you're trying to inject it onto the board, and I don't have a problem with that, but at least be honest.

These books are probably what you plan on posting later in the thread, so I'll save you the time.

Those aren't exactly niche terms

>65 posts
>26 posters
jesus christ

nope, I have simply transcended the dialectics of ressentiment. I do not perpetuate the New Left political schema but I have no qualms turning it to my own advantage. heterosexuals are nothing but mindless slaves, ready to turn from self-righteous hatred to abject self-abasement, from throwing gays off bridges to unquestioningly accepting HRT therapy for their kids - all within a few paltry decades - thinking themselves "good" at every turn... the mediocrity of the human race... yes, continue your petty work, my useful idiots, my tarantulas... i shall exploit you all! your achievements are nothing to me in moral terms, simply conditions to be taken advantage of.

why do libs care about queer suffering and not aspie suffering? Is it because they're perverts?

They're used almost exclusively by instersctional leftists. No one else thinks in terms of systems of oppression, and no else is deluded enough to use the term folks when they have a masters degree. They're the carefully selected terms of a highly standardized discourse. Using them in such a way indicates that you already participate in that discourse to some extent.

woke af

holy fuck you must be a faggot cause that's the gayest LARP i've ever read.

this is probably more accurate than you think. idpol makes rational sense but at some point we get tired of rational sense. the bourgoise are never going to willingly surrender the luxuries of exploitation, and nobody but the down and out want to be viewed as a statistic or a confluence of forces.
not that today's progressives are looking for armed revolt or a Brave New World calculator society but that's where these modes of thought take you in the extreme and it frightens people.
i think most conservatism is self aware selfishness that masks as something else.

t. conservative

Im a half black gay brazilian, and I assure you its all bullshit. Everyone can live a normal life if they try. Everyone has their own dificulties. This thing about systematic oppression of minorities in todays America is just a result of your self centered culture mixed with post ww2 philosophy and neoliberalism. Dont believe this bullshit. Ive been in this "community" for years and everyone is just repeating the same meaningless phrases and terms over and over. From my own experience as a minority, my only problems in my life were caused by financial difficulty. Thats the worst thing you can go throu. Being poor is worse than being black gay a tranny etc, you just dont talk abiut that in Ameroca because you cant question liberalism. Dont get into this rabbit hole, OP. There is nothing to gain from it.

So you are a fucking coward crypto-fascist. Not only that, but also a mentally deficient coward crypto-fascist. I'm sorry dude, but you have to prove how fucking natural selection even benefit lesser intelligence first before you jump into conclusions, fucking moron dipshit.

Then we can start discussing which particular genes define intelligence

Since you won't have answers to any, I guess I win.

>Is it because they're perverts?
hadn't thought of it that way but you're probably right. retarded people are genetic mistakes and broken from day 1. perverts are Good Liberal Americans exercising their Freedom Of Mind and being punished for it. it's liberalism's love of free choice and disregard for those who cannot serve the economy. only communism is in favor of retards.

>you have to prove how fucking natural selection even benefit lesser intelligence first
not that guy but arent there millions of examples of evolutionary fitness that dont "prefer" greater intelligence

>Im a half black gay brazilian,

>not that guy but arent there millions of examples of evolutionary fitness that dont "prefer" greater intelligence
But it needs to be proven specifically for human beings since intelligence is undoubtedly the greatest evolutionary advantage that exists for them. As a matter of fact, the development of language and social ties are probably the most significant and advanced traits.

They're only right in that it's obvious that being born black for example makes you less likely to win "the game" of modern society, which is getting to materialist heaven (sex, money, status). The problem of today is that whereas even 50 years ago people played a number of different games (black ghetto status game, dozens of seperate games for seperate career tracks) now that everyone is connected through the internet/media and jobs for the common people aren't stable enough to use as a personal identity, we're all forced to play the same game and the losers are upset and the winners are guilty and it's suddenly less of a game and more of a struggle.

so being gay is a choice then?

an unqualified conjecture from someone with no knowledge (not proof): developments in agriculture and creating hierarchical city-based societies might be less fit than stable hunter-gatherer societies for certain populations depending on geography, ecosystem climate and political circumstance

the vast majority of species are naturally selected for traits other than intelligence. you should be well aware there are many niches in the natural world.

some hypotheses for the relatively high iq of ashkenazi jews is a kind of cultural / economic sexual selection. jewish tradition strongly encourages literacy and esteems those who can study and critically interpret their law. this increases the odds that intelligent members of their culture will mate off with other high value members. economically, jews also could exploit a niche in finance because of christian / islamic banning of usury. finance requires significant intelligence and judgment to be successful, and successful financiers could afford many children.

And that's not mentioning that the most common ancestor for human beings is 200,000 years old. By evolutionary terms it is really fairly fucking recent, simply there isn't enough time for there to exist significance variance in intelligence between human races.

The genetic difference between different species of chimpanzees is fairly massive compared to the genetic difference between human races.

>an unqualified conjecture from someone with no knowledge (not proof)
A brazen statement considering the pointless diatribe you just came up with.

>A brazen statement considering the pointless diatribe you just came up with.
i'm not that guy idiot

If you include Pygmies as being human it's more like 300k years apparently.

Also what kind of logic are you using to say that 200k years isn't enough? It took what 5million to branch off from chimps? 200k years is 5% of that, which is a substantial amount

And all of this doesn't take into account the Flynn effect, which sees massive trend upwards from one generation to the next. Particulary noteworthy is the case of Kenyan children studied from 1984 uintil 1998, which saw an incredible rise of IQ tests of about 30 points as the latest generation went through a significant life quality improvement, meaning that differences in intelligence are mostly accounted for by external circumstances such as education and nourishment!

Not to mention the gap between white students and black students on IQ tests has been steadily closing with each passing year, suggesting it's context what matters the most when it comes to IQ!

And that's not taking into account that IQ only accounts for fucking abstract thinking! Studies have been shown that you can, as a matter of fact, study for IQ testing and see your own results improved, meaning that they are not good methods to measure intelligence at all!

I can go all day.

>A brazen statement considering the pointless diatribe you just came up with.
I'm talking about your comment on hunter gatherer societies as if had any bearing on evolution. At all.

>which sees massive trend upwards from one generation to the next. Particulary noteworthy is the case of Kenyan children studied from 1984 uintil 1998, which saw an incredible rise of IQ tests of about 30 points as the latest generation went through a significant life quality improvement, meaning that differences in intelligence are mostly accounted for by external circumstances such as education and nourishment!
>Not to mention the gap between white students and black students on IQ tests has been steadily closing with each passing year, suggesting it's context what matters the most when it comes to IQ!
Literally none of this is true lmao

>Also what kind of logic are you using to say that 200k years isn't enough?
It's called evolution, read up on it.

>IQ only accounts for fucking abstract thinking
well yeah, abstract thinking is also known as intelligence

You can google it lol

you dont get off that easy m8.

Skin color, skull shape, many other things changed in that time period, why exactly can genes involved with intelligence not change.

What makes it 'just not long enough' and why am i supposed to believe that isn't entirely politically motivated

hunter-gatherer and agricultural/industrial are two completely different environments, two total different contexts with different criterion of success for humans to live inside. conjecturally, some amount of traits will become more or less fit. different mental needs.

the fixation index based on single nucleotide pairings between sub saharan africans and japanese, is 0.192, and between finns and swedes is about 0.005

the amount of variation between dog breeds is about 0.3, and we can all observe trait differences between collies and pugs.

This level of cherry picking pretty much is an admission of defeat.

Just admit that you are an ignorant plebe already. A lowly mediocre, pasty white cletus who sees himself outperformed by everyone around him.

Two contexts which in the larger and infinitely more broader context of evolution have existed for just a tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny sliver of time. Thus irrelevant, like your comment.

for example is 500k years long enough? How about 1million

Do you have some kind of chart that says 10IQ points per million years. Is this entirely bullshit you pulled out of your ass

I'm pretty sure you're just fucking around but it's late and I'm in a bad mood so you can suck on my PhD program admission you goddamn pleb.

iq tests, sat, act, are strongly correlated with overall life success. its definitely measuring something salient and useful.