youtu.be/AwXAB6cICG0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I've already read enough self help to know it doesn't work

it sounds really bad and like a waste of time

Because I'm not pathetic enough to read a self help book

I refuse to read anything popular

I like chaos

Because I'm only halfway through.

I just read ch 2 and I swear this guy needs to take a writing course. He’s so shit at tying his ideas together and using logical transitions. He starts out the chapter with the “take care of yourself like you’d take care of someone else” rule, then on a dime he’s talking epistemology in the pre-scientific age, then he switches immediately to talking about chaos and order. I still have no idea how that shit ties into the main idea of his chapter. The book is so disorganized

That Dale Carnegie book was decent. Had some tips that I managed to apply.

Have you read Meditations by Marcus Aurelius?
Letters of a Stoic?

normie shit

I actually found that he went way off course with chapter 2,
But it is actually his writing style that he spends a while talking about stuff you can’t possibly see links into the chapter theme then he ties it all in with the last few pages. It’s a bit annoying insofar that you can’t see where he’s going, and it’s ironic considering his chapter “be precise with your speech”, but I think overall it’s good that he fleshes out his point with so much background

because its sofa king we todd ed

At the end he did tie together the allusions to genesis and the whole shame thing, but I still don’t see how he thought the chaos and order stuff belongs in the chapter. IIRC he had like one line that was something like “taking care of yourself means limiting chaos” or whatever but it was just such a tenuous connection.

Plato? Aristotle?
Self help is criticised these days just because it’s popular to. But it was the main genre of literary prowess in Ancient Greece and Rome

Yeah agreed. Chapter 11 was annoying as well, hamfisting the idea of skateboarding kids into it just so he could provide anecdotal evidence.
Overall I got some value out of the book though, none that you couldn’t get reading Nietzsche, Jung, Orwell, and Dostoyevsky with some thought involved

maybe I need to reread chapter 4 because I swear the takeaway was you better love God aka the long dick of the law and there's no room for negativity in life worry about what you can change :)))) like something my defeatist boomer dad would say. fuck chapter 4

I'm willing to bet you'll get more out of this

He never actually endorsed God as a real entity. In fact he brings up Neitszches crushing criticisms of religion. His message basically is you shouldn’t throw out the teachings that kept community thriving just because you don’t believe the story is real anymore. That’s what I got anyway. It’s actually on my reading list
Way, way down

>you shouldn’t throw out the teachings that kept community thriving just because you don’t believe the story is real anymore
Very postmodern

oh hey it's that tall guy from that shitty movie

I have tho?

Because I'm reading it.

because it's a shitty cashgrab

Not interested, have spent enough time with Peterson to know that I'm some ways away from him philosophy with little reason to close the distance

Look at that chin, now this is a real man.

Because I'm not a 20-something white middle class male, more or less ignored by my parents while growing up, who hasn't spend the time to truly master or learn anything, who has spent his life doing what was expected of him and now feels empty, without direction or purpose or 'mission', looking for something to hold on, but that something better be slightly different from what my previous generation believed in, better look at what their previous generation believed in

I'm not that lame

Lame enough.

There are people on this board who are not 20-something year old white males?

Anyway
This video unironically exposes the one thing that's fishy with Peterson:

youtu.be/AwXAB6cICG0

I'm not a depressed adolescent on the verge of becoming a white supremacist.

I do agree with some of what Peterson has to say My friends often accuse me of being to harsh life is harsh sometimes you just got to stick up for yourself
I find I can watch Peterson on youtube and get something from it dnt know if i could manage a book of his
>6▶
>
> Look at that chin, now this is a real man.

>youtu.be/AwXAB6cICG0
Now that isnt a nose ?
Going for the anime look ?
I think I agree with him in some way but he waffles too much and doesnt get to the point so I dont pay attention and watch something funny or music instead

Literally every mixed/fatherless/atheist kid in hs read it, something about lacking an identity seems to attract people to stoicism

Go back to cleaning your room