What are some NYC novels?

what are some NYC novels?

Attached: download (18).jpg (284x177, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2013/06/30/books/review/taipei-a-novel-by-tao-lin.html
twitter.com/BretEastonEllis/status/308502148226883584
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The Victim by Saul Bellow

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Art of the Deal

American Psycho

War and War

New friends don't know about Tao Lin. He used to post here and he was part of a literary movement called alt-lit that came and went about 5 years ago. He lived in New York from about 2001 to about ~2015 and "Taipei", despite its title, takes place primarily in New York City.

Most of his novels have some part of the story taking place in New York. He references the characters in his story visiting "the literature board of Veeky Forums.org" in Richard Yates I think.

Believe it or not this guy was a big meme on Veeky Forums in the past and he is also a respected novelist. The New York Times said of "Taipei", "here we have a serious, first-rate novelist putting all his skills to work" [1]. Bret Easton Ellis said of the book, "with 'Taipei' Tao Lin becomes the most interesting prose stylist of his generation, which doesn't mean that 'Taipei' isn't a boring novel..." [2].

[1] nytimes.com/2013/06/30/books/review/taipei-a-novel-by-tao-lin.html
[2] twitter.com/BretEastonEllis/status/308502148226883584

Attached: taipei_tao_lin.jpg (308x475, 53K)

read already
do these describe the scenery of the city?

Catcher in the rye
Mario Puzo’s books

sometimes. from the first paragraph:
>On some nights New York is as hot as bangkok. The whole continent seems to have moved from its place and slid nearer the equator, the bitter gray Atlantic to have become green and tropical, and the people, thronging the streets, barbaric fellahin among the stupendous monuments of their mystery, the lights of which, a dazing profusion, climb upward endlessly into the heat of the sky.

yea thats pretty damn good

So I interned in NYC last summer and hated the city, felt alienated/depressed/disaffected the whole time, and pretty much all I did was work and pretend to have fun going out to bars/clubs.

Will this book give me that feel? I guess I'm looking for something like Less Than Zero

It's nice seeing Bellows get some love on Veeky Forums. I've only read Herzhog but if I'm not mistaken that also takes place in New York. War and War goes into some nauseating description of the city when Korin first gets there but the author does a good job of making the main character feel completely out of place.

War and War does exactly that

I can recommend

Underworld
American Psycho
The Corrections
10:04
Taipei

Hmmmm go on, maybe I will

Don't read the Tao Lin book, it's trash. Everything I've read of his is really bad, he's just an old Veeky Forums meme. Not even just Veeky Forums, really, but the young American internet literature scene.

Go to bed, Tao.

V.

>New friends don't know about Tao Lin.

Thank Christ

Kek

Alternatively, what are some novels about Los Angeles?

Less than Zero by BEE

read it, but only if you're under 25

Similarly, I'm moving to DC in a few months, would appreciate novels that take place there (that aren't just political bullshit)

No one said Gatsby so far?
Veeky Forums I am disappointed.

Attached: Leyendecker-Arrow.jpg (1286x2000, 2.57M)

the rules state you must be 18 and older to post here

why are you moving to DC

The state as well, but holy shit you will come out knowing much much more about NYC after this behemoth.

Attached: 51FOnlIEruL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (330x499, 45K)

The metropolis by Upton Sinclair

Based Robert Caro

>NYC
Jazz (no h8)
Bonfire of the Vanities (eh)
>LA
TCoL49
Play It as It Lays
this is a question for google

Anything Philip Marlowe is pretty fun for LA. Chandler does an excellent job evoking the feel of that time's Los Angeles.

Also the Brightness trilogy by McInery

Attached: 060.jpg (454x680, 164K)

Graduating college in the spring, moving out there for work